VHS video to DVD conversion: advice appreciated!

Mrs Yonder has seen the following in one of those shopping catalog supplements in a national paper, viz:

"USB Video Grabber: £39.99. Transfer your favourite old videos to DVD quickly and easily. The USB Video Grabber connects any analogue source (player, camera etc) to your PC and instantly records your old videos directly onto your computer's hard drive. You can then edit and burn to DVD. Simple to use, all vide/phono cable, USB extension cable and software is included. Usable with all S-Video or phono connectors."

She's fed up of me continuing to store my pristine JVC S-VHS deck, my once-upon-a-time though still brilliant £1,200 Panasonic S-VHS camcorder. . . and my pristine twin-deck Denon cassette deck. Ah, sob. Then there are boxes of SVHS (not VHS) tapes and music cassettes as well. All this much-cherished analogue equipment is stuffed in a sideboard in the lounge, with no room for anything else.

Mrs Y says she will buy me the 'USB video grabber' for Christmas. Hmm. Very nice. But, but. . .

I have my doubts here. First off, this is a shopping catalog offer, unbranded, and very probably crap. Also, there's no mention of it handling audio cassette transfers (though I can't see why not.) Finally. . . it doesn't look as though this will transfer S-VHS material, only VHS (presumably, S-VHS down-graded.)

Advice appreciated, viz: can anyone recommend "known", rather than unbranded sopping catalogue equipment, for this kind of task?

And does anyone know of any way to transfer S-VHS, rather than merely VHS?

Thanks!

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an easy cap. They're all simlar.

MaIn thing IS, check the included device drives are for YOUR VERSION OF MICROSOFT WINDOWS or it won't work.

For s vhs, use an s vhs connecting lead.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best way is to use a DV converter (or a digital 8/dv camcorder with video in). These connect to PC using firewire and compress analogue footage to DV which is a lot less compressed than mpeg2 (about 4GB for 20 mins). USB capture devices compress to mpeg2 on the fly and all the ones I have tried aren't very good at it.

Best route capture and edit in DV and then convert to mpeg2 using a PC encoder which does not need to compress in real time.

You can also use S-VHS with pretty well any DVD recorder with a s-video input and simply record the output in real time
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belkin do a similar thing which has a s-video socket as well as composite video.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELKIN-F5U228-Hi-Speed-USB-2-0-DVD-Creator-DVD-VCD-PC-/170529509144?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item27b459cf18
    But you should be able to buy it cheaper (I think!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easycap is fine. There's no quality loss from VHS.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1372221

If you're a quality fanatic, then, go through a timebase corrector.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=AVT8710

and correct using avisynth

http://www.doom9.org/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all these usb devices are similar

for s video you'll need an s video lead

you can usually make audio only recordings, depending on the bundled software.

http://easycap.co.uk/
  • iknowitall1iknowitall1 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Simplest way is to get a dvd recorder - preferably one with an HDD aswell , then simply scart the vhs to the recorder , fill up hundreds of hours of content and when you've done it you can edit it all and transfer it to dvd.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've looked at these before - eg Pinnacle do one

the think is, they generate different video resolution - I am not sure of all the possibilities, but some cheaper ones don't even generate 640x480 video. The cheaper ones seem to produce lower quality video

So check the output resolution before you buy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the think is, they generate different video resolution - I am not sure of all the possibilities, but some cheaper ones don't even generate 640x480 video. The cheaper ones seem to produce lower quality video

To work with DVD there is a limited range of options depending on frame rate (which in this case will be 25 fps).

Pretty well always this will be 720 x 576 or 704 x 576 (576i), anything else would need resampling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they're fine, much misinformation is being given.

All these video capture leads - that plug into a USB port - take analogue, either cvbs or s video, and save to mpeg.

They all use the same 2 or 3 lsi chips.

Quality is same as analogue tv output, in the uk that's PAL, giving 576 active lines, like any tv picture.

You can save in avi uncompressed format if you want, but there's no point!

They all come packaged with different software, usually including dvd remastering. You don't have to use any of it, you can use freeware off the internet, eg dvd maker will capture and make the dvd and burn .........

http://www.sothinkmedia.com/movie-dvd-maker/

The important thing is to ahve the correct driver for your version of windows, without which it won't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To work with DVD there is a limited range of options depending on frame rate (which in this case will be 25 fps).

Pretty well always this will be 720 x 576 or 704 x 576 (576i), anything else would need resampling.

For dvd re-mastering, you must save in PAL or NTSC format. Most software packages give you a DVD-PAL capture option, just one click sets it correctly.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

AFAIK, the capture resolution is set by capture software.

I have one of those USB to analogue convertors, mine is from pinnacle. Its OK but Ihad problems with audio sync on transfers over an hour.

In the end switched to a DV based convertor, as somebody else mentioned this is a hardware ADC with mpeg2 encoding chip. PC treats it like a DV camcorder.

Another couple of options are to use a standalone DVD/HDD recorder.

Other option which has worked well for me is if you have a mini-DV / DV camcorder with analogue input that can output to DV. Mine JVC camcorder used to be able to do this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These cheap devices DO give full analogue quality!

If you want best possible quality from VHS - seriously - then save as avi (non-compressed) and use avisynth (as in doom9.org). The various filtering effects nominally require writing a "command line", but in fact, many pre-written filter are avialable, to simply "plug in".

Also - if best quality needed - use a timebase corrector. That's a piece of hardware (it can't be done in software).

If there's lipsynch problems with the sound, then, you can connect audio straight into the computer microphone socket and record from internal sound card (you'll have to experiment for correct level).
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,235
    Forum Member
    May I be the lone voice and say KEEP all that stuff. It will never be made again and in the future nay well go up in price. Why not plug it in and get enjoying those tapes?
  • pillpoperpillpoper Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I think all the comments on this thread regarding files of this format and files of that format etc make it clear that the simplest way to copy your vhs to dvd is to simply connect a scart lead between vhs and a dvd recorder.

Far simpler and more user friendly .

But assuming this is not commercially released VHS material make sure you keep the VHS originals for future use
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Can be very reasonable to get it done professionally these days - lot less hassle too!

Recommend:

www.video2dvdtransfers.co.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Mornin', gang. First off, an O/T comment:

Amongst the many rants I'm prone to as a result of advancing years and senile intolerance, the rant about numptie posters who make an OP for help then bugger off never to be heard from again ranks pretty high.

Apologies, then, to everyone here who has been kind enough to spend time responding to my little plea for help: since posting, a minor domestic matter cropped up requiring us to decamp a couple of hundred miles to sort it out (category: ancient-mother-in-law-falls-over, earthquake-not- suspected.)

Right. Back to the thread. And after the apologies, the overdue thanks: the comments and guidance here really has helped to de-mist my fuddled brain.

It should, of course, have occurred to me that sitting under the telly is my old-but-good Panny DVD recorder, and that the cost of a few DVD-Rs is going to be a lot less than the gubbins on offer from the shopping catalogue.

Outside of that, it should have occurred to me some time back that I ought to have seized an opportunity to buy on the cheap an end-of-line Sony camcorder (model number escapes me) with some kind of DV-out that Sony then dropped from all succeeding models. But by then my video-shooting days were pretty much over, anyway: I use Microsoft's 'Photostory' on both my XP and Vista machines to turn my still pix into DVDs of such artistic merit that everyone who watches one wishes for the return of Super 8.

Some quick points:

1) Perhaps one of the reasons I entirely overlooked the DVD recorder route was because of the Scart connection. Since going to HDMI I've mentally consigned Scart to the dustbin. But the Panny and the JVC S-VHS both have scarts so that ought to be OK.

2) Editing-on-the-fly. Straight S-VHS to DVD recording would be fine if the source material was suited to 100% transfer. But, er, it isn't. There are large chunks of analog footage which really aren't worth saving. But I'm guessing that if I hit 'pause' on the Panny, that should (roughly) take care of rudimentary editing needs.

3) That said, the posts from, amongst others, spiney2, Graham, webbie and c4rv has whetted my appetite for further info, so I'm off to look at the various links so helpfully provided.

Sincere thanks again, then, to everyone here for their kindness in responding to this particular OP -- and to Soundbox, I know, I know, it'll break my heart taking this equipment to the tip, just as it did when a perfectly good JVC tuner/amp (that weighed half a ton) purchased for £350 in 1978 had to be taken to the tip in 2005 because we no longer had room for it in the lounge.

I know it's daft to get attached to inanimate objects, as Mrs Y often says when staring at me, but hey, sentiment's a powerful emotion.

All best to everyone here. :)
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALDI do a Tevion Video "Grabber" (THIS ONE IIRC), for about that price.

I know a couple of people who've got them, and they tell me they work very well.

They also do an Audio one, for converting cassette tapes, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL these analogue video capture devices are more or less the same (since they use the same 2 or 3 chips).

All you do basically, is install the driver software (once), plug the thing in, then just copy.

Quality is fine, athough if you wanted best possible - say its your wedding or children - then a timebase corrector and/or avisynth are available.

If you don;t like the bundled software - it varies with brandname - then both video capture and dvd making software is free online.

The only thing is, you MUST have the correct windows driver, or it wont work. A very cheap one may not have win7 or even vista drivers included - that's why it's cheap - but they're available online.
  • unopenedboxunopenedbox Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    If your dvd recorder has no hard drive then it would be hard to do it well.
    But if you can get one with a HDD too it would be so simple.
    Scart is more than adequate for VHS material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just copied all my old video tapes on to the hard drive of my Vista laptop and DVD using this Roxio for £29.99 at PC World.........

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/roxio-easy-vhs-to-dvd-for-pc-02532494-pdt.html

Works a treat.

Alternatives are the Easycap range at around £17, see page from Doncaster Computer Supplies web page below.....

http://www.dcs-online.biz/shop/default.php/cPath/96_89
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    I have just copied all my old video tapes on to the hard drive of my Vista laptop and DVD using this Roxio for £29.99 at PC World.........

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/roxio-easy-vhs-to-dvd-for-pc-02532494-pdt.html

Works a treat.

Alternatives are the Easycap range at around £17, see page from Doncaster Computer Supplies web page below.....

http://www.dcs-online.biz/shop/default.php/cPath/96_89

Quick question, can you view the device input full screen.?

Not interested in the DVD capability but as a way of using my laptop to use as a games monitor when away.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question, can you view the device input full screen.?

Not interested in the DVD capability but as a way of using my laptop to use as a games monitor when away.

You can use a utility such as AMCap to view analogue capture cards full screen on a PC. I used to do that with my old xbox on a XP PC with pinnacle USB capture device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    You can use a utility such as AMCap to view analogue capture cards full screen on a PC. I used to do that with my old xbox on a XP PC with pinnacle USB capture device.

Thanks for that ?.
  • laser558laser558 Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    yonder99 wrote: »
    Mornin', gang. First off, an O/T comment:

Amongst the many rants I'm prone to as a result of advancing years and senile intolerance, the rant about numptie posters who make an OP for help then bugger off never to be heard from again ranks pretty high.

Apologies, then, to everyone here who has been kind enough to spend time responding to my little plea for help: since posting, a minor domestic matter cropped up requiring us to decamp a couple of hundred miles to sort it out (category: ancient-mother-in-law-falls-over, earthquake-not- suspected.)

Right. Back to the thread. And after the apologies, the overdue thanks: the comments and guidance here really has helped to de-mist my fuddled brain.

It should, of course, have occurred to me that sitting under the telly is my old-but-good Panny DVD recorder, and that the cost of a few DVD-Rs is going to be a lot less than the gubbins on offer from the shopping catalogue.

Outside of that, it should have occurred to me some time back that I ought to have seized an opportunity to buy on the cheap an end-of-line Sony camcorder (model number escapes me) with some kind of DV-out that Sony then dropped from all succeeding models. But by then my video-shooting days were pretty much over, anyway: I use Microsoft's 'Photostory' on both my XP and Vista machines to turn my still pix into DVDs of such artistic merit that everyone who watches one wishes for the return of Super 8.

Some quick points:

1) Perhaps one of the reasons I entirely overlooked the DVD recorder route was because of the Scart connection. Since going to HDMI I've mentally consigned Scart to the dustbin. But the Panny and the JVC S-VHS both have scarts so that ought to be OK.

2) Editing-on-the-fly. Straight S-VHS to DVD recording would be fine if the source material was suited to 100% transfer. But, er, it isn't. There are large chunks of analog footage which really aren't worth saving. But I'm guessing that if I hit 'pause' on the Panny, that should (roughly) take care of rudimentary editing needs.

3) That said, the posts from, amongst others, spiney2, Graham, webbie and c4rv has whetted my appetite for further info, so I'm off to look at the various links so helpfully provided.

Sincere thanks again, then, to everyone here for their kindness in responding to this particular OP -- and to Soundbox, I know, I know, it'll break my heart taking this equipment to the tip, just as it did when a perfectly good JVC tuner/amp (that weighed half a ton) purchased for £350 in 1978 had to be taken to the tip in 2005 because we no longer had room for it in the lounge.

I know it's daft to get attached to inanimate objects, as Mrs Y often says when staring at me, but hey, sentiment's a powerful emotion.

All best to everyone here. :)

You're a man after my own heart. I have slowly been transferring my stack of old VHS tapes simply by scarting out of the VHS, directly into my Packard Bell Multimedia Recorder, which has a 400gb hard drive and also a dvd recorder. I'm able to do some basic editing on the PB before I transfer them to dvd. Ultimately, I wan't to put everything onto an external hard drive. I was saying to my wife just this morning that the size of just a couple of VHS tapes is larger than the drive I want to put them on and of course, I can't get a huge amount of programming on the drive. I felt I had to do something about transferring them as some of the recordings go back 25 years. Sadly, time caught up with at least one tape as it doesn't even play anymore. I just wanted to say good luck with the transfer, I have found it a lot of fun. Next will be the audio tapes and for that I'm going to use Audacity and then produce them as either good quality mp3s or wavs. One other thing, maybe there might be a museum that might be interested in some of your redundant kit. I still have by original JVC HRD110 VHS recorder, complete with it's box and manual. I was thinking about finding a museum that might want it. You might remember it, it's the one with those big operating keys at the front. At the time, it cost me £389 back in 1985, hard to believe really.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    From my experience I bought the one from Aldi that someone else mentioned and have been unable to get the software to run on any of our main desktop computers while as another person has also said, I also recently purchased the ION from PC World as they sell that on QVC but I have noticed that the audio is out of sync.

But I do have a DVD recorder so I am thinking of plugging the VHS recorder into the scart of that to try tranferring tapes, also as someone else has said some video file can be massive and slow a computer down.

Not only that but on QVC they also sell a back-up hard drive and say that so many computer hard drives fail a year, so I would advice people to look for alternatives so that at least not only will you clog up a computer and slow it down but if your hard drive fails then you have lost a copy for future transfer.

Having said that I am not trying to put people off buying converters and you could put it on to computer as well as by plugging the VHS into the DVD recorder via scart.