Absolute Classic Rock to replace Gold on DAB in Northern England

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From the Ofcom Radio Broadcast Bulletin.
Replace Gold with Absolute Classic Rock: Central Lancashire, Humberside, Leeds, Liverpool, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear and Teesside.

Gold will continue on CE Manchester where the TSA has an analogue licence.

Comments

• Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news indeed!

At the moment we're rather spoiled for good music, what with Planet Rock, Rock Radio and now Absolute Classic Rock. :D

Will have to look at getting a DAB for the car.

Do we know when this switch will happen?
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    From the Ofcom Radio Broadcast Bulletin.

Gold will continue on CE Manchester where the TSA has an analogue licence.

Do you have a link?

Edit this is the latest bulletin I can find. But this doesn't appear to deal with station multiplex allocation? Just complaints.
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Do you have a link?

Edit this is the latest bulletin I can find. But this doesn't appear to deal with station multiplex allocation? Just complaints.

Scroll down:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/monthly-updates/update1110/
    Forum Member
  • norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well does not look as if Gold is a brand Global want to roll out nationally. All these DAB only slots in the North of England used to carry Classic Gold, before it merged to create Gold.

I listen to Gold along with Smooth Radio, The Coast, Absolute 80s and BBC 5 Live.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess Global are trying to save transmission costs on muxes they don't own (MXR muxes they do own but which are mostly full) and where there is no analogue AM outlet and Gold might complete with Magic AM/DAB?

Also cutting back on DAB
    Just as well for listeners Absolute have a replacement!

looks like Gold is still on Glasgow (for how much longer?).
    Also why bring back Arrow to London 3 mux (to replace Galaxy now Capital will be the hit station), where they do own the mux, either they have plans or just waiting for a buyer for the slot?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing for all concerned, Bauer have the oldies market in those TSA's. Global get a buyer in TIML who seem to have money to burn in getting multiplex slots.

Now all they need to do is get Absolute Classic Rock on those Now muxes which currently have Absolute Radio 90s.
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More cost cutting by Global. Just a pity they couldn't have put Absolute 00s on there as it would've given a bit more choice, what with Planet Rock already doing the classic rock thing.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    So does this mean that Gold is going off DAB in my area altogether or is it just moving to another Mux, as at the moment my alarm is timed to wake me up listening to Gold.

When is Absolute Classic Rock going to start on DAB and also if Gold is going off DAB in some areas could it be that Global are sadly considering closing Gold?, or does it mean that at some point there will be a new Gold station launching on DAB nationwide?.

Still at least I will be able to still enjoy Gold on my WiFi Internet Radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Hi! All
    So does this mean that Gold is going off DAB in my area altogether or is it just moving to another Mux, as at the moment my alarm is timed to wake me up listening to Gold.

If you live in one of the following areas, Central Lancashire, Humberside, Leeds, Liverpool, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear and Teesside, it's going from those local muxes.

Global could replace The Arrow with Gold on MXR North West and MXR North East to replace coverage on the local muxes.

In Yorkshire, Global replaced The Arrow with Xfm on MXR and the other slot is Galaxy/Capital. So Gold could go on Bauer Humberside, Bauer Leeds and Bauer South Yorkshire where The Arrow is currently aired.
  • DoctorRadioDoctorRadio Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Whats the Absolute Classic Rock programme like? Is it presented and has it got a proper playlist, or is it just the same old, same old 400 tracks rotated by a computer?

Some American Classic Rock stations are terrific and I love them, but have been very disappointed with a lot of the stuff over here. And I've been a rock fan since about 1968, slightly pre-progressive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the Absolute Classic Rock programme like? Is it presented and has it got a proper playlist, or is it just the same old, same old 400 tracks rotated by a computer?

ACR is mainly an automated station with voicetracked presenters, playing the more mainstream side of classic rock.

However it has a live show with Leona Graham on Saturday from 6.30-10pm and also simulcasts the Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show from Absolute Radio from 6-10am weekdays.

It also airs The Ronnie Wood Show a day earlier than Absolute Radio on Friday evenings.
  • amarkramarkr Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Pretty disapointed at this news as listen to Gold quite a lot and Classic Gold has been on the local Mux since it was switched on.

Not sure we need yet another rock station, already have Arrow, Planet Rock and Rock Radio in this area, unless Global intend switching Gold to the Northern regional muxes and losing the Arrow to make room.

Absolute have cost its owners a fortune and has been loosing money so I don't understand the business model of spreading themselves even more thinly with the addition of the nought's station.
  • crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get rid of Gold altogether for me,sounds too much like an AM version of Heart,oh! silly me! it is owned by the same people who run heart!!what would be good is if the AM stations re-broadcast Absolute Radio in areas where it is poor on the main 1215 frequency e.g. Wrexham on 1260,Shrewsbury on 1017 etc...
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why they wont go on the Utv mutiplexes , Ie the Stoke one, this covers a massive area, With Acr not being on the manchester mutiplex , I thought they might have gone on there as you can pick this up very easy in parts of manchester, and the mutiplex is only half full as well.

Also the other thing is they will be on a higher bit rate at 128k than the other stations on digi 1 at 112k and 64k.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you live in one of the following areas, Central Lancashire, Humberside, Leeds, Liverpool, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear and Teesside, it's going from those local muxes.

Global could replace The Arrow with Gold on MXR North West and MXR North East to replace coverage on the local muxes.<snip>

I wouldn't be surprised if Gold moves to MXR in North West and North East replacing The Arrow and Bauer Digital is ahead of MXR as far as the 'paperwork' telling Ofcom is concerned - although maybe not with the Yorkshire multiplexs being listed. We will see.
    In Yorkshire, Global replaced The Arrow with Xfm on MXR and the other slot is Galaxy/Capital. So Gold could go on Bauer Humberside, Bauer Leeds and Bauer South Yorkshire where The Arrow is currently aired.

They also have Choice on MXR Yorkshire so Gold could replace that and Choice could move to the Bauer multiplexs.

I would certainly be surprised if Gold is disappearing from these areas and The Arrow is staying given Global is not selling any advertising for the latter and if they managed to get someone to take the slot on London 3 (or moved Chill) they could (sadly) close The Arrow down.
  • TVCymruTVCymru Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    The best thing for all concerned, Bauer have the oldies market in those TSA's. Global get a buyer in TIML who seem to have money to burn in getting multiplex slots.

Now all they need to do is get Absolute Classic Rock on those Now muxes which currently have Absolute Radio 90s.

No theuy are giving up their local mux places wherwe Absolute Radio 90s, which in a way is a shame, as it would be great listening to Absolute Classic Rock, whilst traveling on the M4 between Cardiff and London
  • TVCymruTVCymru Posts: 279
    Forum Member

The Station has 3 presenters, Leona Graham, Russ Williams and Martin Lee (Also Ronnie Wood). The presenters present shows between 10am and 9pm Mon - Thur, 10am - 7pm Friday, 8am - 12pm on Saturday. Also it airs many interviews.

But this may change as Martin Lee is about to start presenting a new show between 7pm and 10pm on the new Absolute Radio 00s
  • lewiscolinlewiscolin Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    So has Gold gone for Good in Liverpool?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiscolin wrote: »
    So has Gold gone for Good in Liverpool?

You'll find out just after midnight when Gold goes off air on Bauer Liverpool.

Gold will still be on DAB (and 1458) in Manchester or 1260 AM in the Wrexham/Chester area, which might be worth trying instead if you don't have Sky, Virgin or Freesat.
    Forum Member
    Just got this response from Gold...

Thanks for your email to Gold.

The contract with the DAB distributor in the North of England has ended and the decision was made to switch to a different service as the agreement was only temporary for Gold. Unfortunately, as radio stations, we are subject to the decisions of the local multiplex who host us.

Obviously we're always sad to lose listeners, but Gold will continue to be available on Sky, FreeSat, Virgin Media and of course online at www.mygoldmusic.com.

Best wishes,
  • pete1pete1 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I hadn't realised until today that The Arrow is back in London i always find it complimentary to Absolute classic Rock but I had to listen on the Internet for a while!
  • tommytemprastommytempras Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Would rather have Arrow than Gold.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems the DAB deal with Absolute and the DAB muxes (and rival station Magic) owner Bauer was brokered by former Classic Gold owner UBC media!
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6562.5