Gold

Comments

• Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dml21 wrote: »
    David Andrews Drive ( this should have been given to Dean Martin)

And lose the Gold Control show where Dean can be as enthuastic as he likes about the music? No thanks!

Congratulations to David Andrews if it's true he's got drive.
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And lose the Gold Control show where Dean can be as enthuastic as he likes about the music? No thanks!

Congratulations to David Andrews if it's true he's got drive.

Agreed. David Andrews fits perfectly on Gold - as will Eamonn Kelly.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,645
    Forum Member
    Yes I heard this...

So Paul at Breakfast
    Tony D 10-1pm
    Eamonn 1-4pm
    David Andrews Drive ( this should have been given to Dean Martin)
    Dean 8-12

Is James leaving Gold ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Sat here in Northumberland and just switched on the DAB radio to listen to Gold as I always do. Says the station is "unavailable"

Something happened?
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otaku Joe wrote: »
    Sat here in Northumberland and just switched on the DAB radio to listen to Gold as I always do. Says the station is "unavailable"

Something happened?

Okay on DAB and online here in London.
  • PDMBPDMB Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something happened?

Apart from Manchester Gold no longer broadcasts in 'The North'.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6542
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    PDMB wrote: »
    Apart from Manchester Gold no longer broadcasts in 'The North'.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6542

Well, that sucks big time. :mad::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like northern England doesn't have a classic hits network. They have the much better Magic AM network which is more tightly formatted to the 60s and 70s compared to Gold.

I can understand people missing Dean Martin in the evenings, but the station is a poor shadow of itself since the GCap era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand people missing Dean Martin in the evenings, but the station is a poor shadow of itself since the GCap era.

He is still there presenting the request show from 8pm-midnight, Monday to Friday (also Sunday afternoon and evening !).
  • dml21dml21 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    It's not like northern England doesn't have a classic hits network. They have the much better Magic AM network which is more tightly formatted to the 60s and 70s compared to Gold.

I hope Dean is staying at Gold, but to fair he would sound good on a Smooth Evening request show?
    Forum Member
    I hope Dean is staying at Gold, but to fair he would sound good on a Smooth Evening request show?

Smooth can't take all Gold's presenters surely ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Smooth can't take all Gold's presenters surely ?

Wouldn't it be good to have Gold on FM !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is still there presenting the request show from 8pm-midnight, Monday to Friday (also Sunday afternoon and evening !).
    He was referring to the good people of the North who are missing him, because he isn't still there for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistermeep wrote: »
    He was referring to the good people of the North who are missing him, because he isn't still there for them.

He is available online !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Smooth wouldn't give him as much freedom with the playlist as he has on Gold. It'll all be soul/motown heavy and more current tracks.

Don't expect a 60s hour for example.
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be good to have Gold on FM !

It would but I listen on DAB so that doesn't really bother me too much.

I would prefer Gold to have Choice's London frequency on FM
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would but I listen on DAB so that doesn't really bother me too much.

I would prefer Gold to have Choice's London frequency on FM
    Both Choice and Gold have about half a million listeners each, there is no breakdown of how many are listening on digital or analogue, but as Choice is analogue London only must have the majority of listeners compared to Gold London, so can't see Global doing this!
    Sounds like instead of investing in Gold, Global seem to have decided not complete with Smooth and Magic (which have many more listeners now than Gold) to concentrate on Heart and Capital!
    Switching off Gold on DAB in some areas will save them a lot of money! But they still need DAB in areas where there is AM to get reduced and automatic licence renewals until an AM radio DSO!

Something happened?
    If you rescan or reset the set you will get Absolute Classic Rock soon!
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    And as much as it is really nice to be finally getting Absolute Classic Rock on DAB it is sad as Otaku Joe says to be loosing Gold, I know that some say that Gold are not available on mw/am here in the north or at least where I am in Tyne and Wear but we did have Classic Gold.

When I commented on the thread about Absolute Classic Rock replacing Gold on DAB in some areas of the North, someone did say that Global have been getting rid of the arrow in some areas.

So I hope that Gold will be back on DAB at some point and I think that it could be, but it is a question of how long.

Maybe there is someone to do with Gold in the know of what the plans are for being on DAB again in areas such as Tyne and Wear, so if so I know you will be unable to give a definate date but could you please just tell us if you will be back on at some point.

Anyway I know it is sad that Simon Bates and David Jenson are leaving Gold but when I was living in the South East as well as listening to Capital Gold on Satallite, I liked lisening to Eamonn Kelly as well as David Andrews and it seems that at the moment Smooth are wanting to have a station that is popular with listeners which is why they are spending the money on getting Simon Bates and David Jenson.

So I would be very very surprised if Gold was left without any ex Radio 1 djs for too long, but I wonder who they would get maybe Bruno Brookes or Gary Davies?.

I can only dream, well I now look forward to more comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that Gold can't attract those big former R1 presenters is a sign that it'll be run on a smaller budget with lesser known presenters.

However give or take a couple of years when Global finally acquire GMG and Gold will return on FM on the Smooth frequencies. Then you may see an oldies station finally able to compete with Magic in the North of England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic AM, better than Gold? Can't agree with that. Dull presentation, dull presenters and a dull playlist. Fleetwood Mac, Roxy Music and Blondie always seem to come on no matter what time of day you put it on. Nick Wright on daytimes has a tendancy to go off on a tangent, moaning on about something or other. Thankfully here we still have a choice between the two. And David Jensen's departure from Gold makes it an even better listen.
    Forum Member
    wirewolf wrote: »
    And David Jensen's departure from Gold makes it an even better listen.

He has sounded pretty dis-interested for a while. Compared to his enthusiasm on his Planet Rock show which he is playing music that he is passionate about but I guess he needs Gold/Smooth to pay the bills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has sounded pretty dis-interested for a while. Compared to his enthusiasm on his Planet Rock show which he is playing music that he is passionate about but I guess he needs Gold/Smooth to pay the bills.

Agreed. He just doesn't suit the format on Gold. I would also question whether he's any more suited to Smooth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect anything less when Jensen joins Smooth. Probably be the same 'paying the bills' delivery we've come to expect on Gold. I hope he stays on Planet Rock after moving to Manchester?
  • NiknodNiknod Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I will miss gold... Ironically I used to listen to the Gold breakfast show as I find Christian O'Connell hard to listen to on the ABsolute Network.. Outside of Breakfast I listen to Absolute 80s.

Now it seems my alternate listen has been replaced by ANOTHER relay of the Christian O'Connell breakfast show...

And this despite the fact that The Arrow is still half heartedly broadcasting non stop music on the same DAB multiplex, and Global have decided to withdraw Gold instead... makes the mind boggle.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niknod wrote: »
    I will miss gold... Ironically I used to listen to the Gold breakfast show as I find Christian O'Connell hard to listen to on the ABsolute Network.. Outside of Breakfast I listen to Absolute 80s.

Now it seems my alternate listen has been replaced by ANOTHER relay of the Christian O'Connell breakfast show...

And this despite the fact that The Arrow is still half heartedly broadcasting non stop music on the same DAB multiplex, and Global have decided to withdraw Gold instead... makes the mind boggle.

Are you surprised?

Looking at the thing recently where Commercial Radio were not going to run DAB ads. Funny that GMG are running them on Smooth.

Global seem to have thrown the rattle out of the pram. The BBC won't pay for all the new DAB transmitters, so maybe they don't want to be on DAB. And I cannot recall a DAB ad on Heart...coincidence.