Options

Can I get a free SD->Sky+ upgrade ?

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had my SD box since 2000.

I would like to upgrade to get Sky+ but when I checked online they want to charge me £104 to upgrade the box plus another £10 per month for HD which should be free to air.

Seems a bit cheeky when they are offering free installation for new users.

I currently pay £21 p/m.

Is there a cheaper way to do it ?

Comments

• Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my SD box since 2000.

I would like to upgrade to get Sky+ but when I checked online they want to charge me £104 to upgrade the box plus another £10 per month for HD which should be free to air.

Seems a bit cheeky when they are offering free installation for new users.

I currently pay £21 p/m.

Is there a cheaper way to do it ?

Im assuming your out of contract, so id call and threaten to cancel, if they ask why you tell them your equipment is outdated, and your missing out on what most customers take for granted. They may back down. Depends on the operator. Id phone sky before using the website personally. if they dont budge, cancel.... then wait a month or so, and say you want to come back. they should give you a upto date box.
    Or accidentally break your box, call sky and pay the replacement £65 fee, which of course they cant replace like for like. so its a sky+hd box
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    Im assuming your out of contract, so id call and threaten to cancel, if they ask why you tell them your equipment is outdated, and your missing out on what most customers take for granted. They may back down. Depends on the operator. Id phone sky before using the website personally. if they dont budge, cancel.... then wait a month or so, and say you want to come back. they should give you a upto date box.
    Or accidentally break your box, call sky and pay the replacement £65 fee, which of course they cant replace like for like. so its a sky+hd box

I hate phoning them, last time, they managed to change my phone contract from BT to them without my authority. Took me ages ranting at them and loads of grief trying to get it changed back.
  • Options
    DykeolicousDykeolicous Posts: 3,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a HD box elsewhere and get the viewing card paired - no need for HD subscription then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »

The cost you are taking about is for an engineer visit. I did not see the OP mention having any issues with his box other than it being old. :confused:
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I threatened to cancel, and retentions offered me a new HD box, for free, plus HD channels for £5/month for 12 months. Had to pay postage I think.

New boxes are a massive step up from the old Sky+ boxes. Well worth it, even if you're not bothered about HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I threatened to cancel, and retentions offered me a new HD box, for free, plus HD channels for £5/month for 12 months. Had to pay postage I think.

New boxes are a massive step up from the old Sky+ boxes. Well worth it, even if you're not bothered about HD.

I only have a standard LNB, can't get SKY+ without a dual or quad LNB.

So it needs a complete new system really, aerial, cable and box.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be able to get a free box, as you don't have a HD box yet, although you may have to pay for HD to get ths offer, if you don't want to pay the HD fee, you may need to pay towards the box.

You will need to phone them though, so it is in your hands, as already said, if you don't agree with what they want to charge, ask to be put through to cancellations, they may give you a better deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

That offer is available with technical support in Sky too you speak to them about upgrading to your first HD box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to get a free box, as you don't have a HD box yet, although you may have to pay for HD to get ths offer, if you don't want to pay the HD fee, you may need to pay towards the box.

You will need to phone them though, so it is in your hands, as already said, if you don't agree with what they want to charge, ask to be put through to cancellations, they may give you a better deal.

Companies, including Sky are all too wise with the threat to cancel approach. Remember it's 31 day notice they take ;)
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every customer is entitled 1 free Sky+Hd box assuming they sign up to the HD mix. If you don't want to do that then there is a charge of £49 for the box plus £60 installation. Your best bet is to call Sky and see what deal they can do for you. Quite often you don't even have to threaten to cancel.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Every customer is entitled 1 free Sky+Hd box assuming they sign up to the HD mix. If you don't want to do that then there is a charge of £49 for the box plus £60 installation. Your best bet is to call Sky and see what deal they can do for you. Quite often you don't even have to threaten to cancel.
    So just sign up to the HD Pack then drop it a month later if you don't want it.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    So just sign up to the HD Pack then drop it a month later if you don't want it.

Minimum term is 12 months, but like I said the best place to get the best deal is usually over the phone
  • Options
    druid77druid77 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I have had a Sky SD box (an original Pace box) since Sky Digital started (whenever that was). I take the basic bottom of the range sub and have never upgraded anything. A couple of months ago I had an unsolicited e-mail from Sky
    =================
    "As a part of Sky's commitment to customer service we're giving you a new Sky+ box, plus a 12 month warranty, as your box is due for a replacement.

Your brand new Sky+ box is easy to use and packed with great features:
    - Pause rewind and record live TV
    - Record an entire series with Series Link
    - Store up to 185 hours of TV, ready to watch when you are
    - Record two shows at once
    - Watch TV and box sets on demand, plus our new 7 day Catch Up TV is also available when you connect your broadband

Because we believe in better, we like to make sure our customers can make the very most of their Sky experience. That's why we're offering you a brand new Sky+ box, absolutely free of charge.

Please be reassured that no changes will be made to your account. Simply contact us to organise a free engineer visit soon so we can get your Sky+ box all set up for you. For details, see terms and conditions below."
    ================

They were good to their word it was absolutely FOC (including the installation) and no change in contract - so it really is worth giving them a call.

I assume they want to take all of the really old boxes out of use as they are preventing some sort of software upgrade for everyone with more modern boxes.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen that the packages are changing in April, and one of the changes is the price of HD channels is dropping for customers without sports/movies. I think its going to be around £5 extra per month rather than ten, which should work out cheaper for the OP.

It does, however, make 'offers' of 'half-price HD' rather less impressive....
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it essentially means that you can get Entertainment Extra + HD for the same price as you'd pay now for Entertainment + HD.