Recycling Centre fire - Taxpayer to foot the bill.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-23345143

A fire at a recycling centre is set to cost Worcestershire County Council £250,000 to extinguish. The privately owned site has a contract with the council for recycling services and says it can't afford to pay the cost of the fire itself, so the Council have stepped in.

I'm furious about this. The company has a contract with the council, but when it needs to cough up some cash it comes cap-in-hand to the taxpayer.

Doesn't a site like this have fire insurance? I would have thought it would be obligatory before it could tender for a public contract. The fire risk must be significant at a waste site.

My employer has fire insurance for thousands of our properties across the country. We provide services to the government and local councils, as well as private companies. I woul dnot expect any of them to pay up if we had a fire at one of our sites.

Let the firm go bust. Someone else should get the contract, and the Council should insist in full fire insurance for anyone who tenders.

:mad:

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Perhaps their policy didn't cover stupid humans with chinese lanterns?
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send the bill to the halfwits that set fire to the place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was Kidderminster, not Birmingham, there's nothing to say it was a chinese lantern, or arson. The cause is unknown.

It's not the first fire they have had there.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    SuperHet wrote: »
    This was Kidderminster, not Birmingham, there's nothing to say it was a chinese lantern, or arson. The cause is unknown.

It's not the first fire they have had there.

Oh, right. My mistake.

I did read an article that said "
    Wyre Forest District Council, Worcestershire County Council, Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service and the Environment Agency will join forces to pay for the demolition of two fire-damaged bays and further fire fighting.

The agencies have stepped it after it emerged that Lawrence Recycling will be unable to meet the costs at this time, but steps will be taken to seek to recover the public sector’s expenditure. "

Link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why the Council deduct the cost from future earnings under the signed contract.