Options

Is Osgood Maybe Being Set Up As A Companion?

13»

Comments

• Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I think it is a bit of a no brainer to have Osgood as the next companion. A Geeky-Chic-female Doctor fan. No appeal in that for a large swathe of the Who audience is there.;-)

On a personal level she seems more 'real' and likable than the previous and current Moffat era companion who, for me never strayed beyond an idea on a page to being believable characters.

That said. All of my Who predictions have been wrong since the show came back...:D
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you never seen an episode of a show where it appears for all intents and purposes that a character is definitely dead without a shadow of a doubt, but then it turns out that no matter how certain it looked that they weren't actually dead at all?
    Corwin wrote: »
    In "Bad Wolf" Rose was disintegrated and left behind a pile of ashes.

She survived.
    You're not thinking of it from Missy's point of view. There is absolutely no way she could kill Osgood without realising she didn't kill Osgood. The device was hers. She knew what it was capable of.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he was hardly going to say 'The new Master just appeared!', was he?

How could Missy not realise she didn't kill Osgood? :confused:

We saw her ashes. I don't see how Osgood could have survived that.

That IS a possibility but it would be much easier just to say she's dead and her death has more impact IMO more than 'Oh look! She didn't die, she was just teleported to be a slave'.

Another possibility is that Missy and Osgood did both die...but both got sent to the Nethersphere (which I presume UNIT now have).

I think when Danny sent the boy back from the Nethersphere (thanks to Missy's wristband), he said the place was dying...but it's possible there's some buffer zone in the Nethersphere where the souls stay before they are processed into the main memory. UNIT may have been working on the Nethersphere (as it wasn't completely destroyed as far as we know) and have uncovered that data. They've used a similar idea in Star Trek before where the "data" of a person has been stored on the transporter's buffer.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not thinking of it from Missy's point of view. There is absolutely no way she could kill Osgood without realising she didn't kill Osgood. The device was hers. She knew what it was capable of.

Here we go again. There are all sorts of ways Missy could have killed a Zygon, not Osgood.
    Just accept, for once, that your opinion is just one opinion, not an absolute fact. Please allow your brain to understand that other people might have different ideas from you and that you are always right. Accept that, surprisingly enough, you don't actually know more about the story than the writer himself.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    For a professional writer, especially one writing for sci fi where they can utilise practically anything as an explanation, they could easily explain it.

I'm surely not at the level of anyone who writes for the show, yet even I can think of possible ways they could explain it - could be that since Missy was being held captive by UNIT, and since Osgood is so clever, she tampered with Missy's device whilst she was unaware. Another could be that Missy being Missy, we find out that she stole the device from somewhere and simply assumed, as you are assuming that because she saw ashes when she used it, that meant she was killing people. Those are just a few basic explanations of the top of my head, so If I can come up with those in a few seconds, I'm sure a professional writer with months to think, could easily think of a good, convincing way to explain it.

Also, considering that Moffat was talking last year that he'd figured out the series 9 cliffhanger before they'd even filmed the series 8 finale, it stands to reason that he must have known he was bringing Osgood back before we saw her killed, so he would have written it in a way where he knew he could write an explanation for how she survived when it came to it.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hesitant to speculate, but maybe Clara dies at the end of the series and the Doctor is left on his own. It would be a clean break with no loose ties and a chance to introduce a new girl/boy for the next series (if there is one).
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she could be leaving too. Either something tragic happens or she has a good reason to leave. Maybe she learns her family need her or even a new love . Would prefer a happy ending

Until I watch it don't know. If they have a good reason for Osgood somehow surviving her "death" . Could be a really good new companion if they handle it right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    I'm hesitant to speculate, but maybe Clara dies at the end of the series and the Doctor is left on his own. It would be a clean break with no loose ties and a chance to introduce a new girl/boy for the next series (if there is one).
    It would be cool to see a companion actually die on screen for real, with no chance of coming back, just because it isn't usually done and would be something different. I'd be especially happy to see it with Clara, my most disliked companion ever. In fact I think Clara would be better as a memory the doctor is mourning over, giving us some emotionally broken doctor scenes than she is now actually being alive. Sadly though, unless it is of old age, I don't think they would show her die because of the kids watching.

With regards to someone new, I'd prefer someone to join next series before Clara goes. We've had 'companion goes neatly at the end of the series then at the start of the next series doctor coincidentally meets someone perfect to replace them in episode 1' time and time again(and I include Amy, rory going/Clara coming in that as series 7 was realistically 2 smaller series), to the point where it all feels to rigid and makes things feel more fake as a result, given that in real life, relationships and happenings are never that neat and tidy. Plus with adding the companion whilst Clara is still around, they have already proved themselves and have a relationship with the doctor by the time Clara is gone, rather than having to have the usually obligatory modern day earth episode where the new companion proves themselves to be perfect all in one episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surely not at the level of anyone who writes for the show, yet even I can think of possible ways they could explain it - could be that since Missy was being held captive by UNIT, and since Osgood is so clever, she tampered with Missy's device whilst she was unaware. .

Unless Osgood is a secret Oscar-winning actor, I doubt it considering the way Ingrid Oliver played her as terrified of what Missy was about to do.
    Another could be that Missy being Missy, we find out that she stole the device from somewhere and simply assumed, as you are assuming that because she saw ashes when she used it, that meant she was killing people.
    This is the Master we're talking about. She'd have experimented the device on people beforehand to make sure she knew what it was capable of.

Besides, I think the device is actually a updated version of her Tissue Compression Eliminator.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I can think of at least one off the top of my head, from a little show called sherlock, where the main character jumps off the top of the building, is lying on the floor covered in blood and even has his pulse checked to confirm his death, and yet later turns out to be alive, now hmmm, let me remember, who created and runs that show again.........Oh yes, thats right a Mr Steven Moffat. And that was in a show where there was no sci fi.
    To be fair, that also happened to Holmes long before Moffat re-created it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unless Osgood is a secret Oscar-winning actor, I doubt it considering the way Ingrid Oliver played her as terrified of what Missy was about to do.
    We don't know nearly enough about her to say what she is or isn't capable of. Honestly, you are so adamant about asserting that it MUSTdefinitely be the zygon or a past Osgood, and can't accept any other possibility that I really wonder what you'll do if it turns out you are wrong when the time comes.
    This is the Master we're talking about. She'd have experimented the device on people beforehand to make sure she knew what it was capable of.

Besides, I think the device is actually a updated version of her Tissue Compression Eliminator.
    Again this is all based on what you've come up with in your own mind. There's every possibility you could be right or wrong, but you can't exactly state your opinion as fact as you continuously seem to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair, that also happened to Holmes long before Moffat re-created it....
    To be honest the main point was just to show any example of where someone had appeared dead but actually wasn't. I only thought to mention that Moffat was involved about half way through the post. It's still a good example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know nearly enough about her to say what she is or isn't capable of. Honestly, you are so adamant about asserting that it MUSTdefinitely be the zygon or a past Osgood, and can't accept any other possibility that I really wonder what you'll do if it turns out you are wrong when the time comes.

As much as I like Moffat, if it turns out Osgood survives I'll probably rant about how terrible a decision it is both on here and on Twitter. I'm not as against dead characters coming back as some others but Osgood needs to stay dead IMO.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I like Moffat, if it turns out Osgood survives I'll probably rant about how terrible a decision it is both on here and on Twitter. I'm not as against dead characters coming back as some others but Osgood needs to stay dead IMO.

Uh oh! Moffat! You have been warned!
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Why do people think every single female character will turn out to be the next companion? First Shona then Missy then Maisie Williams and now Osgood. It's getting a tad ridiculous.

Right now, I think it's a possibility that Osgood could be set up as a companion, hence the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

Never believed for a second that Missy or Maisie Williams's characters were being set up for companions. Did think Shona was a possibility though for a moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Rant away. At the end of the day, it won't make a blind bit of difference if Moffat does decide to bring the character back/promote as a companion for Series 10. I'm not saying he will as I have yet (like everyone else) to see what exactly is going on in Osgood's Zygon story but I did set up this thread purely because I think it's possible she might become a companion after Clara, not that she definitely will.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think Osgood as we know her, would not make a good companion. Osgood knows everything that any human could know about him, what he does and what he faces, and that's not great for stories.

One thing that would have to be done is to lose her fangirl obsession, so she can find her own path and relationship with the Doctor, but I'm afraid that would involve some major faith-shaking.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Osgood as we know her, would not make a good companion. Osgood knows everything that any human could know about him, what he does and what he faces, and that's not great for stories.

One thing that would have to be done is to lose her fangirl obsession, so she can find her own path and relationship with the Doctor, but I'm afraid that would involve some major faith-shaking.

She would need a "Kill The Moon" type experience to jolt her confidence in him.

Although it only took one episode after that for Clara to be all lovey-dovey with the Doctor again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We don't need to get rid of it as such but more tone it down and have her travelling with the Doctor would force her to look at him more objectively as well. Also clothes wise, we could ditch the lab coat/past Doctors stuff and have Osgood dress like this ....

https://naimakhan.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ingrid-oliver-3.jpg
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    We don't need to get rid of it as such but more tone it down and have her travelling with the Doctor would force her to look at him more objectively as well. Also clothes wise, we could ditch the lab coat/past Doctors stuff and have Osgood dress like this ....

https://naimakhan.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ingrid-oliver-3.jpg

To which of the two figures in the picture are you referring? The one on the right might be more amusing in the long run...
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be fascinating if Osgood had met The Doctor when she was younger, Osgood wears a scarf, she is a scientist, she knows what she is talking about, she wears dickie bows. The Doctor loves inquisitivity, he can spot inquisitivity a mile off.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    To which of the two figures in the picture are you referring? The one on the right might be more amusing in the long run...

The non skeletal one, lol:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I see she's dressed in a combination of all three of her outfits there. 4's scarf from Day of the Doctor, 11's bow-tie from the series 8 finale (she wore sneakers like 10 too, but that obviously can't be seen in the pic because you can't see her feet), and 7's sweater from series 9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this is just what Osgood wears for work but at home, she wears something more conventional.

Also a brilliant quote from Ingrid in the latest DWM ....

“It’s like somebody being allowed to be part of the show they love. Viewers can put themselves in her shoes. Also I think she’s very relatable from the way she looks, to her personality. I like the facts that she’s a scientist, it’s a nice female role model to have. She might not be able to run well, but she’s got the brains.” - Ingrid Oliver, Doctor Who Magazine # 888