Options

Duty free

NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
Forum Member
I'm currently waiting to go to Glasgow from Cardiff airport, I was wondering if you could buy things from duty free when flying internally.

Comments

• Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I'm currently waiting to go to Glasgow from Cardiff airport, I was wondering if you could buy things from duty free when flying internally.

Simple answer, no
  • Options
    NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Funny you say that....... I just bought a superdry hoody. Also, no need to be rude.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Simple answer, no

Alternative simple answer: yes, because "duty free" shops are mostly not really duty free any more.

The same rules apply for domestic passengers as when flying to anywhere else within the EU i.e. you have to pay duty. The only genuinely duty free prices are for exports outside the EU (which won't be many flights from Cardiff).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Alternative simple answer: yes, because "duty free" shops are mostly not really duty free any more.

The same rules apply for domestic passengers as when flying to anywhere else within the EU i.e. you have to pay duty. The only genuinely duty free prices are for exports outside the EU (which won't be many flights from Cardiff).

So wouldnt that make the answer to the OPs question no?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    So wouldnt that make the answer to the OPs question no?

I presume that by "from duty free" she meant "from the big shop in the departure lounge selling things which they claim are discounted from High Street prices", in which case the answer is yes, they don't turn you away just because you are on a domestic flight. But she would still have had to pay hoodie tax.

They can only sell things without charging duty if you are taking them on e.g. a flight to Turkey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I presume that by "from duty free" she meant "from the big shop in the departure lounge selling things which they claim are discounted from High Street prices", in which case the answer is yes, they don't turn you away just because you are on a domestic flight. But she would still have had to pay hoodie tax.

They can only sell things without charging duty if you are taking them on e.g. a flight to Turkey.

Thats clearer. Pretty certain she would probably have got said hoodie cheaper online!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny you say that....... I just bought a superdry hoody. Also, no need to be rude.

I wasnt being rude, just pointing out that no you cannot buy duty free on an internal flight
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember what it was on, This Morning I think this week sometimes they said that you can get the majority of things you can buy in airports cheaper in supermarkets or online than you can duty free prices. These days it's only good for getting more speciality items and special/limited editions of items that you might not get elsewhere.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there still any duty frees within the EU at all?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    You can't buy the really cheap stuff like **** and booze unless you pay the duty which renders them pointless really. All the other 'tax free' stuff is normally cheaper on Amazon and the like.