Options

i'll never buy music that doesn't come on "a disc"

JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
Forum Member
Problem with buying mp3's/itunes is you have nothing to sell on

Unlike CD you can buy - enjoy listening to - sell back on Ebay

2nd hand sales of music/software makes it very, very cheap to own (albeit temporarily) and as a result, the industry has been seeking a way around it

it seems they have found it by downloading music electronically with no re-sale value - Bingo!

As a result you'll see computer games moving in the same direction

Personally i'll never buy music/software that doesn't come on a physical disc

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. I want a physical disc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alot of people said the same with vinyl , but i get your point theres something about having the CD and case in your hand with the little booklet and artwork LOL
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    Vinyl > CD switch was massive rip-off/earner for the industry

I have over 100 vinyl LP's and when CD came out, I (like many others) still had to pay full price for CD despite already bought it on LP (including the rights to listen to it)

When i bought an LP (or cassette), i wasn't just paying for a piece black plastic - I was buying the rights to listen - and to upgrade to better medium should been a matter of nominal cost, and it should been challenged in court

If i add up all the money i spent on music it would be a small salary - The industry must made £billions out of this scandal - so they needn't start crying on my shoulder when *they* feel ripped-off

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paying for downloaded music is tarded
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good friend of mine always says: "a bunch of files on your hard drive doesn't constitute a record collection" and I'm inclined to agree. I want a physical release with liner notes and thank-you's.

i-tunes be damned!!
  • Options
    The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree, the difference in price between digital download and cd is basicly nothing. I also like something to show for my money. The only benefit of downloads is you can get a track almost instantly.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only tracks I have bought are ones where I have only liked one track by the artist and it is not worth getting an album.

An example of this is Red Box's "Lean On Me". I am not going to buy an awful 80s compilation for one track.

In the main I still buy CDs as I prefer having the hared copy of an album.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Downloads are good if your space is limited.

I have loads of compact discs and I am rapidly running out of room for new ones.
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I've never downloaded music. I much prefer physical copies. I want the pictures, the background, the lyrics, details about the writers and producers of each song. I have never owned an mp3 player or i-pod.

I have ripped some songs from my CDs to my PC, only for private listening, because my audio system is in the other room.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I love to read the sleeve notes on albums.
    Vinyl LP's were best for that.
    CD's sometimes don't have the same info that the old LP's did.
    I have downloaded a few songs, but I do find the quality of the mix on MP3 downloads to be a bit tinny.
    And I don't like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I've downloaded music in the past but i prefer to have a CD because I can listen to it in the car then:)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just make your own CD :confused:

I always do because I wouldn't leave a bought original CD in the car and also they get scratched to buggery.

Won't have problem for long though because i've decided to use a MP3 player in the car due to the amount of damaged CDs in the glove box.

A plus with both methods is that you can create your own compilations as well.

At home I use Winamp with Lyricsplugin. Most well known albums/tracks will have the lyrics available.

All my original CDs are just gathering dust in a big box on the floor in the spare room.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    All the downloaded music I've bought has been crap bitrate.Until they sort that out I'll download lossless.
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree...I have never seen the point in paying for something which isn't actually physical - where music is concerned.

I prefer to pay extra for a physical CD than pay for electronic bit-rates. At least on CD and vinyl, you have the copy for as long as you like. Mp3's are ok for listening to on the move or in the car...but for my cherished music collection...it has to be on CD or vinyl. (have even got a few original tapes) :p
  • Options
    vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Couldn't care less about whether the product is physical or virtual tbh. Although I read the CD booklet if its there, there's rarely anything on there that isn't readily available online (and maybe it's my imagination but CD booklets seem to be getting crapper and crapper).I buy music for the music, not to have a piece of paper to read. Having said that, I do still buy CDs, but simply because the quality isn't available from online sources. But when I buy a CD I just rip it to the PC, read through the notes and then it's chucked in a cupboard not to be seen again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I don't think the industry introduced downloads to prevent re-selling of CDs. They brought them in because it was a massive hole in the market and people were already doing it illegally.

I buy CDs because it seems really odd buying a non-physical thing for near enough the same price but suffers from less quality and less of a product. You are paying for the right to listen to the music but it should still be something physical. Digital files are so easy to use, so I always buy a CD where possible and rip that to my laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alot of people said the same with vinyl , but i get your point theres something about having the CD and case in your hand with the little booklet and artwork LOL

and what if you have a few thousand of the things. Where do you store them all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and what if you have a few thousand of the things. Where do you store them all?

If i had a few thousand i'd be a disc-jockey :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Downloads are good if your space is limited.

I have loads of compact discs and I am rapidly running out of room for new ones.

I have the same problem. My CD racks are full of music CDs and computer CDROMS and I just have no space for CDs. I prefer downloads as you don't have to worry about CD space and I'm not too bothered about quality - I just like to listen to the songs! I also like the fact that you just get the songs you like. :cool::)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I will always buy physical copies of music for as long as it is possible. I don't like the concept of having music on my computer because computers crash and get all sorts of other glitches that could lose your files. I also don't feel like I truly own MP3s but with a physical copy I can see it, hold it and store it away nicely and that's half the fun of buying music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of half way on this issue. I love having a physical copy of something but I'm not entirely against downloading an album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up until the end of 2006 I bought CDs. There was no room for all of them. All the shelves were full of CDs, they started piling up on the floor and we had to get cabinets to put in the garage just to dump most of them. Up to 2001 they were nicely filed, subsequently they were immediately ripped onto the computer and then just left to take up space. Actually finding the one I'd want to play it would be an issue anyway.

Downloads make sense, although now everyone has high-speed broadband and far more disk space to store things (and can easily buy more), lossless bitrate options would make sense. We're already seeing the end of the 128kbps download...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread - for the people who still buy CDs, do you still have an mp3 player?

I'm really not fussed about CDs since I got my iPod. Saying that, I started to properly "get into" music when I was about 14 - just as mp3s were starting to kick off - and I always found it frustrating having to choose just one CD to stick in the player when I was in the mood for my own variety of songs (there and then, not "oh I'll burn this combination to disc"). But yeah, in my experience (maybe I'm just not careful enough) CDs get scratched much more than files get wiped, and then the product is useless anyway. If I do buy a CD, I'll have a flick through the cover, but I don't really get much from it, and then it's just taking up room. I still feel like I've purchased something when I've downloaded an mp3 - but then I play some songs to death so much they have their own physical presence anyway ;)

Think I'm going to buy the physical version of the new Mika EP though, as the artwork on it does sound interesting. Also a massive Mika fan :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it is a special CD there is no point in trying to sell it on eBay as you can get them new very cheaply nowdays. I ever buy CDs because an album is usually £7 - £8 on iTunes while physically they cost at least £9.99 or more depending on how they feel like charging for them - Eminem's CD is quite expensive - at least £10. :rolleyes:

I rarely actually buy whole albums anyway and often buy the singles and album tracks I like - no point in paying for tracks I do not really like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy CD's for my favourite bands, but for everything else I usually download

I also had problems with CD's taking up to much space. It was putting me off trying new bands as I knew that if I didn't like it I would still have the CD, and some of the bands I like arn't popular and therefore I wouldn't get much (if anything) if I tried to sell the CD.