Options

Sky HD+, does it upscale

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
Currently with Virgin but due to leave due to a dispute. Sky are offering me a free Sky HD+ Box which is quite cool however I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it up scales SD channels?

I currently have a V+ which is fantastic at upscaling and have heard former Sky customers comment on this.

Comments

• Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does indeed, to either 720p or 1080i
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do, but from reports on here, even the best boxes do not do it quite as well as the V+ box (and the worst boxes are quite a bit worse).

I have a modified Thomson (discontinued model) and the upscaler is pretty good. However there are numerous reports on here and AVF concerning how poor the new Amstrad models are at upscaling (and the Samsungs are apparantly only slightly better).

Those that know on here and on AVF rate the Pace (also discontinued) and a modified Thomson (with an upgraded Power Supply) as about the best for upscaling SD.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your telly would upscale it even if the box didnt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Currently with Virgin but due to leave due to a dispute. Sky are offering me a free Sky HD+ Box which is quite cool however I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it up scales SD channels?

I currently have a V+ which is fantastic at upscaling and have heard former Sky customers comment on this.

I to have a v+box and I was with sky for many years, and i had sky HD for 3 years, and i.m.o. your pictures on the sky HD on the SD chanells are miles behind the V+BOX.

The V+BOX upscales far better than sky HD on the SD chanells.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    problem with satellite tends to be the compression is higher (lower bit rates) than they are or cable, so the boxes also start off with a lower quality to upscale in the first place :/
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    mrMick wrote: »
    problem with satellite tends to be the compression is higher (lower bit rates) than they are or cable

Not in the Hampshire VirginMedia area. The compression artifacts on Sky1 are pretty horrific on VM with a V+ scientific atlanta box over HDMI on a 32" set.

My Sky+HD Pace box on my 40" set shows clear pictures with no artifacts if I stupidly watch the standard def channel :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I had a V+ for about 2 years, and then Sky HD for 2 years. I have a Thompson and the V+ was much better. You really get the impression that the V+ is truely upscaling (e.g. rendering to the bigger resolution from the start) rather than rendering and then scaling with a bit of blending and artifact removal. I don't get that impression with Sky HD (unfortunately).

Second issue I'd mention is the aspect ratio. Sky HD can only upscale if you are happy with it scaling 4:3 to 16:9. Unlike the V+ there is no option to stop this. There have been countless arguments over it, and people have their own views, but if you like 4:3 upscaled as 4:3 then Sky HD may annoy you. You can however opt to not upscale SD if you want 4:3 in the correct aspect ratio - and then let the TV do the rest. However, this is never going to be close to want native upscaling can do, nor what the V+ did.

C.