DAB Radio - The Future:

Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi! All
For myself not only living across from the Pontop Pike transmitter in County Durham but also having had the pleasure of being able to listen to DAB in the car via the Goodmans adaptor, I find DAB really good as well as clear stereo sound.

While some others are against DAB, it would be a shame for all of us who have got DAB radios to suddenly be told that we will have to purchase something else which at first as with other new items would be very expensive.

So does DAB radio have a future?.

Well my thoughts and or hopes are as follows:

1: I have the Roberts recordable DAB Radio which I think is upgradable to DAB+ as well as the Pure Flow[WiFi/Internet/FM] clock radio which is upgradable to DAB+, so I would not have too much problem if we changed to DAB+.

2: I have seen on the BBC website only today that a brand new transmitter has gone live to transmit DAB signals for London and the South East from Wrotham in Kent.

3: At the moment the BBC are spending their money on the switchover to digital television, but this will come to an end in 2012 so what are the chances that the BBC will then transfer some money on new transmitters for DAB as well as funding a switchover to digital radio?.

4: I tried to think the other day about how many people and how many areas have stations on Satellite/DAB/WiFi Radio/Freeview, maybe if there are areas which have good coverage of stations on DAB that are also on Medium Wave.

Why not end the broadcasts on Medium Wave in order to put any money saved towards funding a switchover to DAB as well as improving coverage.

5: Just think about BBC Five Live or Absolute Radio which are broadcast on Medium Wave, if they are available in all areas of the country on DAB the why don't the BBC and Absolute stop broadcasting these on Medium Wave and put the money saved towards improved coverage and the digital radio switchover.

Alright maybe I am just hoping but seeing as there is a thread which someone has stared discussing what I have seen on Radio Today regarding commercial groups broadcasting anti DAB ads, it is worrying that DAB will die a death which as I have said above is a shame.

Then again I have seen some car manufactures[is it Ford?] or someone earlier this year announce DAB as standard in their cars which is possitive.

Anyway I now look forward to your comments.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Oh my God, not another DAB/Future Of Radio thread! Must be a troll. Why don't you read all the other boring, repetitive, arguementative, angry, time wasting, futile, "I have my view, don't bother me with commercial reality" threads on here.

Sorry nothing personal though.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    The thread should look like this.

DAB Radio - The future:

That's right, there isn't one.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that the BBC is still rolling out new DAB transmitters (60 in the next twelve months - Wrotham the most recent) should tell you all you need to know.

DAB isn't going to be switched off anytime soon, but nor is FM. If you have purchased DAB radios you can rest easy, they will continue working for many years to come.

The rollout of the BBC national DAB multiplex to FM-equivalent coverage is part of the licence fee settlement, it's included in Jeremy Hunt's letter to the BBC outlining the deal. Whatever else gets cut back at the BBC, funding will have to be found for this.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    1: I have the Roberts recordable DAB Radio which I think is upgradable to DAB+ as well as the Pure Flow[WiFi/Internet/FM] clock radio which is upgradable to DAB+, so I would not have too much problem if we changed to DAB+.
    5: Just think about BBC Five Live or Absolute Radio which are broadcast on Medium Wave, if they are available in all areas of the country on DAB the why don't the BBC and Absolute stop broadcasting these on Medium Wave and put the money saved towards improved coverage and the digital radio switchover.
    There are currently no plans to introduce DAB+ in the UK as there are several million old sets not upgradeable,, but at least you could take the DAB+ sets abroad to some countries which have DAB+ if you travel.

Absolute have stated they will close MW/AM in 2015! There are still some parts of the UK especially NI, where improved DAB coverage will be needed before this happens!
  • steel wheelssteel wheels Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »

Yes and can you manage to listen to Traffic radio for more than 20 mins before switching over as its repeats itself again and again and again and again........:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be relatively easy to run a few DAB+ stations alongside standard DAB once there are enough sets that can run both. It really isn't a big deal. They can be co-located on the same transmitters, and as DAB+ sets are backwards compatable then you can choose only to put those stations that would benefit from DAB+ in that format. This forum is full of people that are making a big deal out of something straight forward.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    It should be relatively easy to run a few DAB+ stations alongside standard DAB once there are enough sets that can run both. It really isn't a big deal. They can be co-located on the same transmitters, and as DAB+ sets are backwards compatable then you can choose only to put those stations that would benefit from DAB+ in that format. This forum is full of people that are making a big deal out of something straight forward.

Except that we keep getting told that there are no plans to introduce DAB+ in this country.

It should have been done a long time ago, and it probably would have if Channel 4's DAB plans had gone ahead. At this rate it'll just be us and Norway left with original flavour DAB...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    Except that we keep getting told that there are no plans to introduce DAB+ in this country.

It should have been done a long time ago, and it probably would have if Channel 4's DAB plans had gone ahead. At this rate it'll just be us and Norway left with original flavour DAB...

Whether it's been said or not it is a relatively easy thing to do. For my ten pence worth I would only be able to justify it for Radio Three amongst the BBC output - though it could be used at a very low bitrate to add extra sports. From my observations the BBC would need to find about 192kbps additional bandwidth to simulcast Radio Three on DAB+ to provide the quality it needs to keep everyone happy, but it would need also to keep the current 192kbps on R3, and 128kbps on 1,2 & 6 to keep existing DAB users happy too.

All this can be considered at a much later time. Meanwhile let's get the network fully rolled out and multi format DAB sets into all our new cars first.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    From my observations the BBC would need to find about 192kbps additional bandwidth to simulcast Radio Three on DAB+ to provide the quality it needs to keep everyone happy, but it would need also to keep the current 192kbps on R3, and 128kbps on 1,2 & 6 to keep existing DAB users happy too.

There's only so much space you can use on each multiplex and I believe the BBC multiplex is more or less or completely full, though there will be 64 kbps free when the Asian network is closed.

There can't be much space, if any, on Digital One either.

Whilst most local and regional multiplexes are not full at the moment that may not be the case when or if proposals to merge some of them are implemented. When they did an impact assessment for the Digital Britain legislation future lack of capacity on local and regional DAB multiplexes was given as a possible risk.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Why not end the broadcasts on Medium Wave in order to put any money saved towards funding a switchover to DAB as well as improving coverage.
    I don't see this happening on a large scale until Ofcom make a blanket agreement not to readvertise any AM licence handed back. AM audiences we all know are declining rapidly but radio stations would not like to see their AM audiences (no matter how tiny they are) and frequencies being occupied by another broadcaster. So far the AM licences recently handed back have not been readvertised.

At some stage Ofcom will agree to this across the UK and rapid closures will follow.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i love my DAB and if it was to go off air i would hate it as i use it all the time.
  • CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    I don't see this happening on a large scale until Ofcom make a blanket agreement not to readvertise any AM licence handed back. AM audiences we all know are declining rapidly but radio stations would not like to see their AM audiences (no matter how tiny they are) and frequencies being occupied by another broadcaster. So far the AM licences recently handed back have not been readvertised.

At some stage Ofcom will agree to this across the UK and rapid closures will follow.

One of the reasons that a quick switchover where stations on DAB left the FM/AM platform was seen as unlikely in the industry (this is going back a few years) was because of the potential loss of listeners. If you say the switch (all FM TX's for a station are switched off) occurs at a high of 90% DAB/digital listening that's still 10% of your audience who might not switch and that's a big percentage. If you ask the sales team would they be happy with you losing that amount almost overnight, I can guarantee you a frosty reception and not thanks to the weather either.

I've yet to meet a PC/PD/MD who would be happy about deliberately losing listeners like that, although they normally are about the automatic roll over of their licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reasons that a quick switchover where stations on DAB left the FM/AM platform was seen as unlikely in the industry (.
    Not so at Absolute for national AM! (London FM may last longer!)
    http://www.brandrepublic.com/go/radio/article/1043699/absolute-continues-invest-digital-absolute-radio-00s/
    Today, O’Driscoll said: "Absolute noughties is our sixth service available via DAB and it won’t stop here. We believe the analogue days are numbered and we are positioning ourselves for the future as a digital media entertainment company."

He added: "The more services available via DAB, the bigger the audience will be. Consumers want to see more digital services. We hope the tipping point will come before 2015, as the Government has indicated.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute noughties.Will be great to hear all that r&b dance music and all the x-factor artists from the noughties after all that was the main stream music in the noughties.Oh wait a min its absolute radio so what can they play from the noughties that fits their music and will be popular with listeners without repeating whats on the other absoulute stations:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute noughties.Will be great to hear all that r&b dance music and all the x-factor artists from the noughties after all that was the main stream music in the noughties.Oh wait a min its absolute radio so what can they play from the noughties that fits their music and will be popular with listeners without repeating whats on the other absoulute stations:rolleyes:

And don't forget that damn, unfunny, contsantly repeated voiceover that drives you away from their stations (before the small playlist does)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    DAB is DEAD long live FM.:)
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    The rollout of the BBC national DAB multiplex to FM-equivalent coverage is part of the licence fee settlement, it's included in Jeremy Hunt's letter to the BBC outlining the deal.
    It talks about "continuing DAB roll out" during the period of the deal (up to 2015), but pushing the task of matching FM coverage until after the period of the deal. A good guess would be 2018, though a future government could change this I suppose.

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    It talks about "continuing DAB roll out" during the period of the deal (up to 2015), but pushing the task of matching FM coverage until after the period of the deal. A good guess would be 2018, though a future government could change this I suppose.

Cheers,
    David.
    The actual text is
    I also welcome the BBC's plans to enhance its national DAB coverage in the period of this agreement, and to match its national FM coverage as a switchover date draws near.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/22/bbc-funding-settlement-jeremy-hunt
    As the target is 2015 enhancing the coverage and matching FM could be before 2015, depending how you read it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the words were carefully chosen, and it's telling you "the" 2015 switch over date is dead (no one has ever believed it!), "a" realistic switch over date will be set, but it's beyond the period of this agreement.

If they wanted to commit to matching FM before 2015, it would have said "I also welcome the BBC's plans to enhance its national DAB coverage to match its national FM coverage as the 2015 switchover date draws near."

They didn't say this.

It couldn't be much clearer.

Cheers,
    David.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DAB: The future - It's here, put up with it!

Same as freeview.

I think DAB is ok for cars and portables where quality is not really necessary. For a decent system, when FM disappears then the good quality stuff can be found on internet radio.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    DAB: The future - It's here, put up with it!

Same as freeview.

I think DAB is ok for cars and portables where quality is not really necessary. For a decent system, when FM disappears then the good quality stuff can be found on internet radio.

We still need a reliable way to get the good quality stuff from the internet to our ears. My hi-fi (Linn) sounds fine with FM, CD, vinyl or even a Sky box but the only way I can get a decent sound on internet radio is to plug in a wi-fi radio; but wi-fi radios don't seem to be compatible with high quality Flash-based streams such as the BBC's. It'\s really frustrating that the best quality audio is only available on lo-fi equipment such as desktops and laptops.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    We still need a reliable way to get the good quality stuff from the internet to our ears. My hi-fi (Linn) sounds fine with FM, CD, vinyl or even a Sky box but the only way I can get a decent sound on internet radio is to plug in a wi-fi radio; but wi-fi radios don't seem to be compatible with high quality Flash-based streams such as the BBC's. It'\s really frustrating that the best quality audio is only available on lo-fi equipment such as desktops and laptops.

You can listen to the high-quality Flash-based iPlayer BBC streams on the Logitech Squeezebox Radio or Touch, which is a big advantage. The Touch is designed for hooking up to your hi-fi system. Another big advantage is that they are platform-independent as the software they run on is open-source.

AFAIK the Squeezeboxes are the only internet radios that can play the iPlayer streams. Unless someone else knows differently?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It'\s really frustrating that the best quality audio is only available on lo-fi equipment such as desktops and laptops.
    Your prejudice against using a PC as a high quality audio source sounds like audiophool nonsense.

Do you seriously think the audio sections in your Sky box are designed with more care than a decent PC sound card, or external DAC?!

Not sure you can compare DAB with Freeview. Freeview started later, and will have conquered earlier. Plus Freeview now offers HD too - a genuine quality improvement. DAB's take over is far slower, and not so inevitable.

Also, for bandwidth reasons, IP will complement Freeview rather than replace it (at least for a long time), whereas IP can replace DAB right now in the home.

Or to put it another way, at home, even if you have IP, Freeview is still useful or essential. Whereas if you have IP, DAB can be redundant.

Cheers,
    David.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Or to put it another way, at home, even if you have IP, Freeview is still useful or essential. Whereas if you have IP, DAB can be redundant.

Cheers,
    David.

Have you tried listening to sports coverage on BBC local radio via IP? In many cases it isn't available, and you have go back to FM/AM or DAB.