BBC Local Radio Networking Ideas:

Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi! All
So seeing as the BBC is going test out networking on some local stations first I remember when they did and I think they still do on some stations, the late night show[Gavin Lawrence on BBC Radio Kent] anyone.

I see now and am glad that BBC Radio Newcastle starts Weekend Breakfast at 6.30am on both Saturday and Sunday but what with the BBC needing to save money, I still can not understand why we have one presenter just for one day on the station[Peter Grant] and Jon Hurle on Sundays.

Surley it would be logical if instead of taking Friday off from drivetime that Jon Hurle did all week and Peter Grant did Saturday and Sunday breakfast.

Also if the BBC ever think about networking along with BBC Radio Newcastle that Paddy MacDee becomes the networked 10pm to Midnight presenter, also if networking does come about on BBC local stations then can I also suggest that in the North we have a networked live overnight show and maybe the BBC could go to traffic centres for local travel news like Smooth Radio do.

I look forward to more ideas.

Comments

• gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take BBC Somerset as an example of how networking could look...

At Breakfast and Drive time its local from Taunton

In the afternoons it shares with BBC Radio Bristol

In the evenings it shares with BBC West Stations

At the weekends it shares with BBC West & South West stations

It does not feel any less local, no because when it matters they stay local and on air longer.So the savings are made when things are quiet but when you need the flow of information in difficult times its there. It has even been known to stay on air right in to the small hours / 24 hours when needed.

If the BBC need to save money then this model is good compromise. Although historically Bristol and Somerset have always been opt's from each other so we are used to getting our local radio this way.