Options

Looking for Infrared receiver for Win7-x64

I have a desktop machine stuffed behind my lounge TV which I use as a media player. I have a wireless keyboard to control it, but ideally I would like an infrared receiver to pair with my Logitech Harmony One remote control. This would make it a lot easier to pause / rewind movies etc (I use VLC media player).

I can't seem to find just an IrDA receiver which would work with Win7-x64 and my Harmony remote. This should only cost a few pennies, but everything I have seen includes a Media Centre remote, which I don't want or need.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a fairly cheap remote control on ebay that works with Windows 7:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Computer-Remote-Control-Media-Centre-Controller-PC-Laptop-Windows-7-Vista-UK-/280987694435?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item416c2bf563&_uhb=1#ht_4584wt_1397

It's not the best remote control but good for using play and pause buttons etc.

I know you're only after a receiver but this is cheaper than most of the receivers on their own!

Regards
    Karen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Karen, that looks just the ticket. I've ordered it.

Also, I found £1.99 credit in my PayPal account, so this only cost me £2.53.

I'll let you know whether it works or not when it arrives.

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ir Receiver has arrived, and it's faulty. It's detected and installed in Windows as an HID device and mouse (as it should be), but the received doesn't see the remote.

The remote is working, as I can program my Logitech Harmony One with it, but the receiver doesn't respond to either.

I have used USBtrace, a diagnostic tool to read USB raw data, and it doesn't report any data comeing out of the receiver.

Anyway, I've contacted the Chinese seller of the remote, and I'll hope for another delivery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperHet wrote: »
    Ir Receiver has arrived, and it's faulty. It's detected and installed in Windows as an HID device and mouse (as it should be), but the received doesn't see the remote.

The remote is working, as I can program my Logitech Harmony One with it, but the receiver doesn't respond to either.

I have used USBtrace, a diagnostic tool to read USB raw data, and it doesn't report any data comeing out of the receiver.

Anyway, I've contacted the Chinese seller of the remote, and I'll hope for another delivery.

Sorry to hear you've had problems with yours. Mine isn't the best remote but it works okay most of the time. I hope you get sorted soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a replacement remote & receiver from the Chinese ebay seller, and it works this time.

I've now programmed my Logitech Harmony One remote as a Media Centre PC ( model Chinavasion CVSB-983), and it's working great. As usual I had to spend an hour wrestling with Logitech's crappy software, but the remote can now take the place of my wireless keyboard, and I can hopefully teach my wife how to use it for watching movies etc.

Thanks Karen, for putting me onto that ebay item.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to have been of help. I am thinking of buying another one for my daughter's PC as I like the fact you can press the Off button on the remote to shut down the computer and she's terrible for leaving it switched on and losing the mouse somewhere in the bedroom!