Atlantis FM Tenerife

Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
Just come back from a week in Tenerife. Must say how good Atlantis FM sounded. On 98.2 and 99.2FM. Great variety of songs well presented.
On line at www.atlantis.fm
Streaming at 192kbps. Sounds good.:)

Comments

• GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Nice plug... Bet its your mates station or worse you VT overnights!!

Oasis 101 is by far the best English station on the island.
  • Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to do with me at all I promise. Just a good station to listen to in the car...
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,195
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness for the Internet. Some of the British stations abroad sound better than some of the stations over here.

There comes a time when you get so fed up with sponsorship messages, station IDs and competitions rammed in your ears all day!
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I like Coast FM Tenerife personally :)
  • Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I like Coast FM Tenerife personally :)

Cracking little station.
  • BrownBearGangBrownBearGang Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    There are some brilliant stations on Tenerife these days.

Without stooping to the common standard of posts on DS, I will say - delicately - that Oasis has had it's day as number 1 on the island. That day came about 4 years ago when Coast FM launched, and brought a professional and slick approach to radio. It was like night and day, professional broadcasters on the station rather than those who couldn't get a gig elsewhere.

Atlantis is a rare beast indeed. It's run by a very well known guy in the industry of about 15 years ago and is a lovely listen. It's a bit of a hobby station with a patchy schedule of jocks, but musically brilliant. The area of Tenerife it serves is very different to the south coast, and I think it's perfect.

Expect a few changes over the next few years of the radio landscape there though, with changes in legislation and new people coming to the islands.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    What are the legislation changes? I'm intrigued.
  • pub 1pub 1 Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I was in playa del las Americas last month and had a quick scan through but found the reception wasn't brilliant on many stations? Possibly hotel interference or mountains I guess but there was an awesome Spanish station playing cracking up to date tunes in the sun. Any ideas on the name??
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just gave them a listen I like the mix of songs, RadioSure have it so no need to visit the web site.
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genesys wrote: »
    Nice plug... Bet its your mates station or worse you VT overnights!!

Oasis 101 is by far the best English station on the island.

Oasis used to be the most popular station but it has had its day, often it is only on line with FM being off a long while as happened very recently and now back on a single weak signal. Presentation is generally very poor these days with music all over the place and dreadful imaging/adverts.

The biggest island wide station with a good signal on three transmitters is Coast fm which is not a bad listen, a non stop dance station Energy fm, and there is a new station Horizon FM which is testing with a great signal . Atlantis is a good listen for the SW of the island..
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the legislation changes? I'm intrigued.

A lot of these stations were never licensed. They were ignored by the authorities, recently the authorities have changed how they deal with this and are either clamping down or sorting the licensing issues out I think.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buzz FM on Lanzarote is pretty good music and sound quality wise, though there seemed to be very little live programming:

http://www.buzzfm.fm/

Still, that was a couple of years ago so things may have changed.

There also seemed to be quite a few German stations on the island.
  • Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Hits wrote: »
    Just come back from a week in Tenerife. Must say how good Atlantis FM sounded. On 98.2 and 99.2FM. Great variety of songs well presented.
    On line at www.atlantis.fm
    Streaming at 192kbps. Sounds good.:)

Just having a listen now, very tight automated jockless station at present ,very familiar songs but they are all from the 80's ! do they play any other era's. ?
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,142
    Forum Member
    pub 1 wrote: »
    I was in playa del las Americas last month and had a quick scan through but found the reception wasn't brilliant on many stations? Possibly hotel interference or mountains I guess but there was an awesome Spanish station playing cracking up to date tunes in the sun. Any ideas on the name??

Sounds like Los 40 Principales to me! Always a good listen in Spain. :D

In Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos it's on 93.3 FM. I had it on most of the time when I was there in February. :)
  • Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the English stations, Atlantlis etc are they licenced.???? Be a shame to see them disappear ....
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Hits wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the English stations, Atlantlis etc are they licenced.???? Be a shame to see them disappear ....

No foreign language station in Spain or the territorial islands has a licence nor in fact many of the Spanish language ones, contray to whatever some stations put out in their advertising blurb.
  • andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great station which plays a wide variety of music
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    My show is on Atlantis FM now

Really pleased for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to know why they picked the name Atlantis? I'm thinking 1973/4:)
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    That's annoying, there seems to be much better stations on Tenerife than we're allowed to have in the UK, that's not many here I could rave about.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peace100 wrote: »
    No foreign language station in Spain or the territorial islands has a licence nor in fact many of the Spanish language ones, contray to whatever some stations put out in their advertising blurb.
    There was to be an Ofcom like central licencing agency called La Agencia Estatal de Radiocomunicaciones , but has taken time to setup and in the meantime seens regional authorities have been giving the large Spanish language stations some kind of licence and trying to cut back and close other stations.
  • andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon who runs Atlantis has told me the reason why Atlantis?

1. Depending which of the many legends you may choose to believe, the Canary
    Islands could/might be what's left of the lost continent. Because of this
    there are many things here called "Atlantis", apartment complexes,
    restaurants and other businesses.

2. It fits perfectly on RDS

3. Perhaps there is a connection to 1973/4!. Whilst it is clearly not a
    tribute station as such, the 73/74 station was fun, and played Great Songs!

The regional Governments throughout Spain were charged with licensing radio
    and so far virtually every attempt has ended being overturned by the courts
    for a variety of reasons.

In the Canaries specifically, the regional government attempted to license
    radio 2 or 3 years ago, the result of which has led to the decision makers
    (personally appointed by the Canarian President) being subpoenaed to the
    High Court on a variety of charges - not least one of changing the point
    scoring system (not dissimilar to that of the UK) mid-way through the
    evaluation period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon who runs Atlantis has told me the reason why Atlantis?

1. Depending which of the many legends you may choose to believe, the Canary
    Islands could/might be what's left of the lost continent. Because of this
    there are many things here called "Atlantis", apartment complexes,
    restaurants and other businesses.

2. It fits perfectly on RDS

3. Perhaps there is a connection to 1973/4!. Whilst it is clearly not a
    tribute station as such, the 73/74 station was fun, and played Great Songs!

The regional Governments throughout Spain were charged with licensing radio
    and so far virtually every attempt has ended being overturned by the courts
    for a variety of reasons.

In the Canaries specifically, the regional government attempted to license
    radio 2 or 3 years ago, the result of which has led to the decision makers
    (personally appointed by the Canarian President) being subpoenaed to the
    High Court on a variety of charges - not least one of changing the point
    scoring system (not dissimilar to that of the UK) mid-way through the
    evaluation period.
    I see it was just a thought, Radio Atlantis being an Offshore station back in 1973/4 I thought there might be a connection, The music is a very good mix :)