The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
Forum Member
At Wimbledon in the old days when the grass was much faster the likes of Isner and Raonic could get to the final fairly easily and then be outclassed by one of the top players. But they would not do that much elsewhere, e.g., Goran Ivanisevic. Four Wimbledon finals wasn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised if Raonic gets at least s set from Djokovic. I've never actually seen a Raonic game so I've no idea how good he is apart from the serve?

He's improved a bit in fairness but is still not a very good mover

It's the grass which really brings out the worst in these players who don't move very well and his results at Wimbledon tell their own story

Continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    New thread! Great, just in time for Murray's first Grand Slam at Roland Garros and that extra step towards an inevitable Career Grand Slam
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay new thread :)

Raonic is a better player than he was in say 2012 for example, the FH is a huge weapon and he can actually somewhat compete in rallies. Ljubicic has really helped his game on clay too. Felt for the past few months that if he played a more aggressive game he'd earn a lot more fans because he has the capability to go for shots. Just takes the dull and easy way out though a lot of the time due to his ridiculous serve.

In any event I don't see him troubling Novak here, he wasn't that great against Simon, was better against Granollers but yea this is a much togher ask. I can see a couple of tie breakers but think Novak takes it in 3.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the weather Channel, tommorrow is gonna be wet all day in Paris.

Would it have made sense to have had all 4 women's quarters today.

There is a possibility, 2 women could go into the Semis Today, and if it does rain heavily tommorrow,the other Semi a Finalists not going through until Thursday, which would be a massive advantage for the winners today
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    No red button for Wimbledon except for the final two days and middle Saturday.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/27663878
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    No red button for Wimbledon except for the final two days and middle Saturday.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/27663878

I was about to throw a strop but then I read in the article,

'BBC Sport's digital coverage will be the most comprehensive ever, with up to 12 live streams across any device.'

Phew. I can live with that.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved Eurosport Player, being able to flit through, also been nice to watch some tennis without commentary, as you hear everything the players say, especially with Daniella having her rant the other day
  • telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isabelle wallace into a third set after losing the first with a bagel. (Girls singles British player) C'mon Isabelle :)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    After reading the article it seems like basdfg is focusing on the negative and not on all the positives, the lack of red button coverage is pretty understandable given that there will be up to 12 live streams (which last year gave us a chance to see matches that would have never been shown elsewhere) and coverage on both the main channels. It all sounds very good to me anyway.

Also, I've never really used the red button as the quality isn't great so more focus on digital coverage works for me.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Yay new thread :)

Raonic is a better player than he was in say 2012 for example, the FH is a huge weapon and he can actually somewhat compete in rallies. Ljubicic has really helped his game on clay too. Felt for the past few months that if he played a more aggressive game he'd earn a lot more fans because he has the capability to go for shots. Just takes the dull and easy way out though a lot of the time due to his ridiculous serve.

In any event I don't see him troubling Novak here, he wasn't that great against Simon, was better against Granollers but yea this is a much togher ask. I can see a couple of tie breakers but think Novak takes it in 3.

Milos is frustrating for players, he doesn't let you get into a rhythm. I could see him taking it to 4 sets and keeping other sets close if he serves well. But I would only expect him to win 3 sets if Novak has an off day. We shall see. I get the feeling it could be tougher than people expect or be a damp squib!
  • telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Isabelle through to the third round :)
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura Robson will be commentating at Wimbledon apparently, which is kinda weird considering she's a current player and she's only 20! Let's hope she does a Genie match :D

Looking forward to Sharapova's match soon. Muguruza could be tricky, but I can't see Sharapova losing. In fact I'm gonna go for Sharapova in two sets, one relatively close and the other to be comprehensive. Watch Maria lose 6-2 6-1 now! :D

I think we're probaly headed for a repeat of the 2012 final, although Sharapova-Halep is also a possibility. Sharapova-Kuznetsova would be a fascinating one to watch though!

On the men's side, I still can't see Rafa losing unfortunately.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read that Marion Bartoli & Laura Robson have been signed up by the BBC for Wimbledon
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I think Robson will just be in the studio, in the media pack she isn't listed with the rest of the actual commentators -
    Throughout the Championship, the team of commentators for television in full will be: Tracy Austin, Marion Bartoli, Chris Bradnam, James Burridge, Pat Cash, Andrew Castle, Andrew Cotter, Mark Cox, Matt Chilton, Barry Davies, Lindsay Davenport, Jo Durie, Peter Fleming, Jason Goodall, Paul Hand, Tim Henman, Anne Keothavong, John Lloyd, Guy McCrea, John McEnroe, Ronald McIntosh, David Mercer, Nick Mullins, Martina Navratilova, Mark Petchey, Louise Pleming, Sam Smith, Elizabeth Smylie, Simon Reed, and Virginia Wade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/wimbledon2014
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    It's always awkward to see John Inverdale interacting with Marion Bartoli
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    After reading the article it seems like basdfg is focusing on the negative and not on all the positives, the lack of red button coverage is pretty understandable given that there will be up to 12 live streams (which last year gave us a chance to see matches that would have never been shown elsewhere) and coverage on both the main channels. It all sounds very good to me anyway.

Also, I've never really used the red button as the quality isn't great so more focus on digital coverage works for me.
    I don't like watching matches on the internet that much. I tried it last year and I can never hold concentration.
    The TV schedule will change a bit because of the World cup so they will be more only one channel coverage than announced at the moment.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Laura Robson will be commentating at Wimbledon apparently, which is kinda weird considering she's a current player and she's only 20! Let's hope she does a Genie match :D

Very weird!

she'll need to be fairly careful with what she says about any fellow-pro. I mean openly criticising any of them is only asking for trouble, while fawning over anyone won't do too much good either!

It's hardly as if it's a ratings puller or she's actually one of the top players in the game (i.e. a Sharapova, Williams, Azarenka etc who'd likely draw ratings in their own country if they did it). And as you say she's 20!!

Different if it was Murray doing it as I'm sure people would be interested in a lot of what he has to say on others given his stature in the game. Robson is 20 with a lot to learn yet! I could never see Murray going into punditry though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always awkward to see John Inverdale interacting with Marion Bartoli

I don't know what he was on about, she seems like a looker to me :)
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    This is impressive, not intimidated at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a start this is for Gabrine. Quick double break.

Sharapova serve looking very wobbly, it is early though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garbine! Stop playing so well!! :eek:
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Shara should try offering her some sweets, like Elliot and ET

Maybe that will help
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy crap, insanely good from Garbine. Didn't see this coming at all!

Is Maria gonna get her shit together?
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow!
    Good to see Garbine keeping up her good form but I wasn't expecting this at all :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSN up a double break on Bouchard. Spanish > Ice queens right now :kitty:
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happens here I see Garbine as a top player very soon. Not yet the finished article but might still be good enough to beat Maria.
This discussion has been closed.