Options

Animal Addicts - Channel 4 - 01/05 22:00

thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Britain is a nation of pet-lovers, but this documentary looks at people whose fondness for animals has become obsessional. Including an MS sufferer who keeps 70 owls in his terraced house, two women who kept over 300 pets on their farm and a woman who lived in squalor with over 100 dogs.

No doubt these people have good intentions, but they are completely out of their depth and unable to provide the care necessary for the amount of animals they own.

Oh, yeah, and they're nutcases.

:cry: @ woman smacking her dogs with a broom.

Comments

• Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I'm shocked at what I've seen so far.

The man clearly loves his owls but how cruel to keep them all in small cages in his back yard. They should be out and flying free.

And this woman we've just seen - belting her dogs with a broom...

Edit. Sorry to repeat what you said.
  • Options
    KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Someone should intervene with that woman. That was cruel, it wasn't even a little tap... she bloody whacked the poor dog. And that guys house must stink to high heaven!
  • Options
    ribe2ribe2 Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is that woman able to keep dogs if she has already been charged with cruelty? 7 years is not long enough for a ban!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Methinks she's liable to end up back in court again quite soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take back my comments about Bill.

http://barnowlbill.co.uk/pages/home.shtml
  • Options
    thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seven new puppies. :rolleyes:

Someone stop her, please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote:
    I take back my comments about Bill.

http://barnowlbill.co.uk/pages/home.shtml

Well its good to see that at least one person on this show isn't being selfish ... unlike crazy old dog lady - who needs that many dogs?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    These women make me want to join an animal liberation group.

Thank God for the RSPCA.
  • Options
    KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    How on earth can people live like that, I'm almost sick cleaning out my cat littler tray every night... and thats only one day worth of poo and pee.

Those poor poor animals :(
  • Options
    rockjackrockjack Posts: 13,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that lady needs some councilling!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict that much like Bridget Jones she will be found half eaten by her dogs! She needs some serious help, and I feel really bad for those dogs being stuck with her as their carer
  • Options
    rockjackrockjack Posts: 13,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im sure this lady will be sectioned after this docu
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the other woman whose now apparently going to kill herself if she can't get her dogs back! If you love animals so much then why treat them so badly? Why not just have one dog and one cat and love them properly?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a theory that people like this (and it does often seem to be women) have become unhappy in their early lives and deep-rooted depression has set in. They isolate themselves and turn to their pets. As time goes on they lose perspective and become overwhelmed by the conditions they find themselves in.

They're unwilling or unable to ask for help and everything builds up to a crisis.

The German Shepherd woman was such a recluse I wonder how the production company ever found her and why she agreed to go on film. Maybe she hoped deep-down that everything would be taken out of her hands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribe2 wrote:
    What about the other woman whose now apparently going to kill herself if she can't get her dogs back! If you love animals so much then why treat them so badly? Why not just have one dog and one cat and love them properly?!

I agree totally. Personally if it was up to me id lock up all animal abusers until the day they die, but that’s a different topic.

Does anyone know when and if this is going to be repeated? Id be very appreciative if someone can tell me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,551
    Forum Member
    Only saw first half, but the sound of that woman beating her dogs with her broom went right through me :(

Did anything happen to her later on in the programme? Was she reported or anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faeden wrote:
    I agree totally. Personally if it was up to me id lock up all animal abusers until the day they die, but that’s a different topic.

Does anyone know when and if this is going to be repeated? Id be very appreciative if someone can tell me.

It'll probably be on More 4 before long, or you could try the online On Demand system and see if its on there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    i wonder if the women did get her five dogs taken off her and if she did go through with killing herself :rolleyes: