The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    Great news for CBS. Imagine how many more ads they've got in?

People won't have switched off - a blackout at the Superbowl is a massive story.

And now the 49ers are back in it. 2 touchdowns in 2 minutes.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    Great news for CBS. Imagine how many more ads they've got in?

People won't have switched off - a blackout at the Superbowl is a massive story.

CBS didn't squeeze in more commercials bar a few tv show promos.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    CBS didn't squeeze in more commercials bar a few tv show promos.

I presume no one had paid for more ads so CBS couldn't air any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I presume no one had paid for more ads so CBS couldn't air any.

It's been good for them, a close game will rate much higher than a one sided one and the power cut lead to a 49ers comeback.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Terrible news for CBS. Not only is the game one sided, but every minute the power cut continues, the ratings will fall as people switch over to other channels. Expect worst Super Bowl ratings in at least half a decade and Elementary to get worst post Super Bowl ratings since Alias.

SamuelW you jumped the gun a bit on the game being one sided! All this drama will mean a huge rating
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will surely break last years record - so much drama.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think many will have tuned out of the Superbowl in the USA. I remember a couple of years ago an F1 race was red flagged live on BBC1 Sunday primetime and the rating went up during the delay as more people tuned in.

Ratings for tonight will be down in the UK though due to the later finish. Really not enjoying the BBC studio coverage, Jake Humphrey is sorely missed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    Don't think many will have tuned out of the Superbowl in the USA. I remember a couple of years ago an F1 race was red flagged live on BBC1 Sunday primetime and the rating went up during the delay as more people tuned in.

Ratings for tonight will be down in the UK though due to the later finish. Really not enjoying the BBC studio coverage, Jake Humphrey is sorely missed.

I'm not sure the live UK ratings would be that different to the regular season C4 ratings to be honest. An extra 34 minutes probably wouldn't make a difference methinks
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    dave01 wrote: »
    Ratings for tonight will be down in the UK though due to the later finish.

What nonsense, what difference does 30-40 mins make at 3am in the morning. Being on BBC 2 rather than 1 will be a much bigger factor.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad news for Elementary because it might have been on 34 minutes earlier. But for The Super Bowl, the power outage was incredible. You couldn't have written that - much like the ending of the last Premier League season, I guess.
    Albeit San Francisco didn't make the comeback in the end.

Will it damage the average? Perhaps, but CBS will make up for it by having half an hour more than they would have. And tbh, I'm not convinced that people will have switched off. Possibly the opposite - people may well have tuned in. Every other network gives up anyway. People will talk about this for years in the US - the year the power went out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco dropped the f bomb on CBS as well, interesting night for them. Won't somebody please think of the children? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco dropped the f bomb on CBS as well, interesting night for them. Won't somebody please think of the children? ;)

F bomb and the s word in quick succession. I bet they were delighted!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elementary finally got on the air at 11.11pm ET, starting 10 minutes later than Alias did in 2003 - it only got 17m viewers.

The top rating shows of recent years - The Voice, Undercover Boss and Grey's Anatomy - have all got on air before 10.30pm.

Obviously there are timezone issues. But the 11.11pm Eastern Time is particularly important because that's not far short of half the US population. Another third or so comes from the Central timezone where it started at 10.11pm. Mountain (9.11pm) is almost irrelevant and Pacific (8.11pm) accounts for less than 20%

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/03/bad-news-for-elementary-as-super-bowl-power-outage-delays-game-34-minutes/167751/

EDIT: Those are all just approximate breakdowns of the US population off the top of my head! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Elementary finally got on the air at 11.11pm ET, starting 10 minutes later than Alias did in 2003 - it only got 17m viewers.

The top rating shows of recent years - The Voice, Undercover Boss and Grey's Anatomy - have all got on air before 10.30pm.

Obviously there are timezone issues. But the 11.11pm Eastern Time is particularly important because that's not far short of half the US population. Another third or so comes from the Central timezone where it started at 10.11pm. Mountain (9.11pm) is almost irrelevant and Pacific (8.11pm) accounts for less than 20%

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/03/bad-news-for-elementary-as-super-bowl-power-outage-delays-game-34-minutes/167751/

EDIT: Those are all just approximate breakdowns of the US population off the top of my head! :)

Elementary won't get the lowest number, but it will be one of the lowest in my prediction. I am thinking somewhere around 22-24m viewers.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    The only reason that Splash gained 5 million each week was due to the lack of any serious competition you cannot describe that as a successful entertainment show. If 5 million is the best a new ITV format can get then there is something wrong with its formula. Charlie Brooker summed up the whole dumbness of its format and everything that was bad about it on weekly wipe. It was beaten by a more exciting episode of that saturday night fun show hosted by huw edwards called bbc one news which showed how uninspired viewers are with it. Mrs browns boys repeats of an episode shown days ago almost matched it every week. I dont see how it can be seen as a new successful brand for ITV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The only reason that Splash gained 5 million each week was due to the lack of any serious competition you cannot describe that as a successful entertainment show. If 5 million is the best a new ITV format can get then there is something wrong with its formula. Charlie Brooker summed up the whole dumbness of its format and everything that was bad about it on weekly wipe. It was beaten by a more exciting episode of that saturday night fun show hosted by huw edwards called bbc one news which showed how uninspired viewers are with it. Mrs browns boys repeats of an episode shown days ago almost matched it every week. I dont see how it can be seen as a new successful brand for ITV

Put it this way; name another light entertainment show which launched to over 5 million viewers and held the majority across it's run since Britain's Got Talent?
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Put it this way; name another light entertainment show which launched to over 5 million viewers and held the majority across it's run since Britain's Got Talent?

The Voice launched with eight million and although did not hold them it ended its run on 5 million plus and that was in the midst of summer not ice cold january

When splash returns lets see if it faces stiffer competition the next tome and see if it can still manage 5 million
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK
    - Dancing on Ice was down on last week with 6.73m (6.90m last week). The Skate Off averaged 5.39m (5.17m last week).
    - At 9pm Mr Selfridge won the slot with 5.59m, up on last week (5.43m). Ripper Street averaged 5.10m for BBC One.
    - Call the Midwife continued its run of massive ratings last night with 9.22m (31.4%), up on last week's 8.69m.
    - The main Dancing on Ice show last night once again hit its lowest rating on record (6.73m).
    - Without HD Top Gear averaged 4.14m (4.36m last week). Wonders of Life averaged 2.38m (2.50m last week).
    - Sunday top rated: Call the Midwife 9.22m; Countryfile 6.90m; Dancing on Ice 6.73m/5.39m; Mr Selfridge 5.59m; BBC News (6pm) 5.58m.
    - On Channel 4 The Hotel last night averaged 1.48m (5%), very slightly down on last week's 1.53m (5.2%).

Jake Kanter @Jake_Kanter
    - Being Human returned with 731k (4%) – its second lowest series debut. Its first ever episode drew 380k (1.8%) in 2008.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK
    - Dancing on Ice was down on last week with 6.73m (6.90m last week). The Skate Off averaged 5.39m (5.17m last week).
    - At 9pm Mr Selfridge won the slot with 5.59m, up on last week (5.43m). Ripper Street averaged 5.10m for BBC One.
    - Call the Midwife continued its run of massive ratings last night with 9.22m (31.4%), up on last week's 8.69m.
    - The main Dancing on Ice show last night once again hit its lowest rating on record (6.73m).
    - Without HD Top Gear averaged 4.14m (4.36m last week). Wonders of Life averaged 2.38m (2.50m last week).

and Italy's brilliant win got 3.058 million
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Jake Kanter @Jake_Kanter
    - Being Human returned with 731k (4%) – its second lowest series debut. Its first ever episode drew 380k (1.8%) in 2008.

So why was Being Human relegated to a 10pm slot?

To avoid a clash with the BBC One/ITV drama clash? Or to try and bury it because it's unlikely there'll be another series anyway because of budget cuts at BBC Three ...?
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and Italy's brilliant win got 3.058 million
    hi mike, do you perchance have Borgen's overnights from Saturday (HD as well, if they're there!)?

TIA

K
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    hi mike, do you perchance have Borgen's overnights from Saturday (HD as well, if they're there!)?

TIA

K

I don't think these include HD, but what I have is.....

:)
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    So why was Being Human relegated to a 10pm slot?

To avoid a clash with the BBC One/ITV drama clash? Or to try and bury it because it's unlikely there'll be another series anyway because of budget cuts at BBC Three ...?

isn't Sunday 10pm one of BBC Three 'appointment to view' slots

Family Guy and American Dad usually launched their new series in that slot. Him and Her was shown then as well

I think the cast departures had more of an effect on the ratings than the broadcast time
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

TIA

K

Thank goodness that rubbish has finished and we can get back to the good foreign stuff, Spiral back next week which is much better.

I notic the Dail Mail has finally thought of a way to attack Mrs Browns Boys, its the worst comedy ever according to some former TV critic no one has ever heard of.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.