The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    This is basically my view on it as well. Of course it is drama and there has to be artistic license but it is a drama based in reality - even to the edxtent of having Medical Advisors who are listed in the Credits. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to expect a certain level of accuracy in the medical and NHS procedures shown on screen, even if you expect that no Hospital would have such a high mortality rate within the staff and other soapy elements.

Of course they dispensed with all the normal protocols in this case (like Nicole being left alone so she could just walk around the Hospital and run in to Hattie, the theatres etc) because they wanted have been able to get the plot to work otherwise but I still feel that perhaps there are certain issues that are too important and sensitive in real life to apply such artistic licence to. Or, perhaps they need to issue a disclaimer stating that what you have just viewed is not standard NHS policy or protocol which seems ridiculous but if it gets the point home that it is drama designed to entertain rather than inform, perhaps necessary for all those 'idiots' who can't separate fact from fiction.

We clearly see this situation in the same way. We accept a bit of flexibility with standard medical procedures and protocol but they've taken it too far if the balance isn't redressed in an important issue like this. I'm putting my faith in the show to hope we see more from this.

As you've pointed out there will always be 'idiots' but we can't expect them all to be catered to, each episode would have to last far too long!!
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you clearly read my previous posts you would see I would refuse transplant surgery, .

I worked hard to get to where I am, I was in a&e on 7/7 and like many others we fought hard for every casualty of the bombings just like to this day I put 100% into ensuring patients under my care receive the best care possible. Have to say you debated your opinion very well.
    ?

Would you mind sharing why you would refuse transplant surgery? (I have looked at your previous posts but couldn't find it). I would too, for very 'unscientific' reasons, it disturbs me the way scientific argument bulldozes all other approaches out of the way.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosaer wrote: »
    ?

Would you mind sharing why you would refuse transplant surgery? (I have looked at your previous posts but couldn't find it). I would too, for very 'unscientific' reasons, it disturbs me the way scientific argument bulldozes all other approaches out of the way.

Not at all, my personal reason for refusal boils down to the fear of another persons organ inside of my body, it's a phobia I have, it may stem from when I required a blood transfusion as a child and there were complications.

Be it blood or organ, the mere thought of being given either scares me, being a nurse you would think I'd get over it but I can't and I have accepted and chosen not to consent to transplant but I am on the register to donate..
  • TenesmusTenesmus Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    What were the complications?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenesmus wrote: »
    What were the complications?

I copied the following from the NHS website, it explains what i had and the symptoms associated with it.

Acute haemolytic transfusion reaction

An acute haemolytic transfusion reaction (AHTR) is when the immune system reacts to the donated blood and begins attacking the blood cells.

One cause of AHTR is when a person is mistakenly given the wrong blood type. However, AHTR can occasionally occur when all the procedures associated with a blood transfusion have been correctly followed.

During AHTR, the immune system attacks the donated blood cells, triggering a range of symptoms that usually develop very quickly after the transfusion and rapidly get worse.

Symptoms of AHTR include:

anxiety

shortness of breath

high temperature (fever) of 38ºC (100.4ºF) or above

chills

facial flushing

People with AHTR may go into shock (a seriously reduced blood flow), which can cause the following symptoms:

cold, clammy skin

low blood pressure

nausea

vomiting

A person with AHTR may develop acute (sudden) kidney failure. AHTR is a medical emergency that usually requires admission to an intensive care unit (ICU) where medication and fluids are administered to improve blood flow.

During 2011, there were 10 cases of AHTR in the UK.

As you see its very rare for it to happen.
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks. Phobias are funny things. Of course you have the option to change your mind if faced with death or a transplant.
  • tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was my thought - they do it with other stuff - say recently on ee with Whitney they have been putting up the helpline number even when only 2 minutes were shown and only skirted the subject.

There 'MUST' be repercussions to come of this so lets wait and see.

It could be argued that however it was done, right or wrong - it has got people discussing the subject of donor donation which can only be a good thing.

NHS Blood and Transplant said several potential donors had asked to be removed from the register as a result.

I read above on tv text page 501
  • sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    They've finally made a story about it on the BBC's news website as well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23575817
  • GlanbraintGlanbraint Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sohvimus wrote: »
    They've finally made a story about it on the BBC's news website as well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23575817

and states:
    "This is an ongoing story and in the weeks to come viewers will see the main character Mo face up to the fallout of her actions."
    Forum Member
    That's nice. How about the real people on the real transplant list facing up to the real fallout of donors withdrawing consent because of this "ongoing story"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenesmus wrote: »
    Ok thanks. Phobias are funny things. Of course you have the option to change your mind if faced with death or a transplant.

I won't ever change my mind and accept transplant/transfusion, I'm actually at peace and accepting that should I be seriously ill or have an accident in the future then I'll be content to pass over.

Anyone who removes themself from the donor list because of a Holby City story is misguided.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur's bollocked it up with the OFOTCK school of medicine shite there..
  • Sarah MichelleSarah Michelle Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Olivia Scott-Taylor tonight - enjoyed her in Wild at Heart
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Olivia Scott-Taylor tonight - enjoyed her in Wild at Heart
    I knew I recognised her! Thanks! :)
  • Sarah MichelleSarah Michelle Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatz wrote: »
    I knew I recognised her! Thanks! :)

ha you're welcome - think she suits being blonde more though..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha you're welcome - think she suits being blonde more though..
    Yes, Way better blonde! I think thats why I couldn't work out why I knew her.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Poor doggy!
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Arthur's bollocked it up with the OFOTCK school of medicine shite there..
    :D:D:D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Poor doggy!
    Poor Elliot, going through this again. :(
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was the dog lying on his left side with his right leg injured after being hit by the car when he would have been hit on his left leg lying on his right hand side?

He was facing the opposite way from where the car would have hit him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy sat on the floor having a break down in his boxers........All the Luc feels coming flooding back!!!!! :(:(:( Why do this to me Holby!!! :cry::cry::cry: Man I miss that dude!
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god Arthur get the hint she does not like you that way
    Forum Member
    hatz wrote: »
    Guy sat on the floor having a break down in his boxers........All the Luc feels coming flooding back!!!!! :(:(:( Why do this to me Holby!!! :cry::cry::cry: Man I miss that dude!

This guy in his boxers is certainly a very pleasant sight, just as Luc was!
    Forum Member
    Beauchamp mention - I hope they acknowledge her presence in Casualty in Holby City when the time comes.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chantelle may think that she did not lead Arthur on, but she is oh so wrong. She should have told him ages ago that she didn't fancy him and there would never be anything but a platonic friendship between them.
This discussion has been closed.