The Story of the Jews, BBC Two

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As presented by Simon Schama.
Anybody else been watching this on Sunday evenings at 9pm on BBC Two? The first two episodes (of five) have been shown.

Not a huge amount that I did not already know, but nevertheless really captivating stuff and Schama has a great way with words and an ability to present history in an interesting manner.

From grudging tolerance to persecution under Christian and Islamic rule, the Spanish Inquisition, massacres and expulsions in England and Spain, and the original ghetto in Venice. And we're only up to the medieval 15th century. Hopefully episodes 3-5 will be kinder to the Jews. Things are bound to get better, right?

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blast. I have missed episode 1:(
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Anybody else been watching this on Sunday evenings at 9pm on BBC Two? The first two episodes (of five) have been shown.

Not a huge amount that I did not already know, but nevertheless really captivating stuff and Schama has a great way with words and an ability to present history in an interesting manner.

From grudging tolerance to persecution under Christian and Islamic rule, the Spanish Inquisition, massacres and expulsions in England and Spain, and the original ghetto in Venice. And we're only up to the medieval 15th century. Hopefully episodes 3-5 will be kinder to the Jews. Things are bound to get better, right?

BIB :D

Couldn't get into part one due to my excessively loud children but just seen part 2 in relative peace on iplayer and thought it was captivating stuff. Mr Schama has always been one hell of a story teller and we need more of him on the box (and less Starkey)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've got it on catch up to watch on the iPlayer so might catch up with it tonight as you've given it such a good recommendation. I do like Simon Schama as a presenter too.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schama is just of agenda-driven cr*p esp to please the Planks that I don't watch his progs any more. Can't find any evidence of the Exodus - well, don't use a defective chronology, you tool. :mad:
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode and part of the second, but I found that most of it was unfamiliar to me and a bit beyond the level of detail I'm interested in - so I probably won't bother with the remaining episodes.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought episode 3 was well researched and richly presented. A fine TV documentary. I wish more viewers were watching.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    I watched the first episode and part of the second, but I found that most of it was unfamiliar to me and a bit beyond the level of detail I'm interested in - so I probably won't bother with the remaining episodes.

I only watched the first. I really wanted to watch this series because, as a Catholic, I'm quite ignorant of Jewish history, but for some reason I couldn't connect with it. :confused:
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the programme, not really my scene, but this thread reminded me of something that happened some 15 - 18 years back.
    4 of us were in Seville, Spain, for New Year.
    We came out of a restaurant around 00.45 on New Year's Day and wandered into a bar to wind down.
    We got into conversation with an American family from San Francisco, Ca., husband, wife, and 2 teenaged children.
    During the conversation they asked if we had any further trips planned at that time.
    My husband said that he was going to Germany in February, to visit his son from his first marriage, who had married a German girl and lived near Hanover.
    The American parents, the husband an author of computer studies books, the wife a college professor, looked aghast.
    "Oh, we could never go there, we're Jewish," they said.
    I thought that they were kidding, but they were serious.
    "Do you really think that you'd be in any danger from the German authorities if you went there," I asked.
    "We wouldn't want to take the chance," they replied.
    This was around 2002 - 2003, and they were ostensibly an educated family, my mind boggled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debrajoan, I grew up in the US. When I was at University in the 80s, I was visiting my parents for the holidays. My mother came into my room and asked me if Berlin was in West Germany or East Germany. "Both" I said. She said that she and my father once were offered a flight option on an European trip they had taken a few years before that would involve them changing planes in West Berlin. My mother said she turned it down because she would never set foot in Germany. The next year I studied in London and visited Germany during the school holidays. My parents were furious at me for going there. A lot of Jewish people like them who came of age during World War II or afterwards had a lot of anger and hatred towards the Germans and refused to buy German cars or other goods. The strange thing is that twenty years later my parents went on a tour around Europe which included Germany and they visted Berlin. They also visited Poland during the tour, and Poland was another country they said they would never visit. I have German friends and visit Germany often. I've never felt afraid there. I lived in Poland for two years in the late 80s and I never felt afraid that I would be in any danger from the government. But when I was offered the chance to join my friends on a trip to Leningrad, I decided not to go because I was afraid. When I was in Hebrew school we were given necklaces with names of Soviet Jews held prisoner in the USSR for trying to emigrate to Israel.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand, Schama said that in 1940 there were 3 million Jewish people left in Europe (after many had emigrated to America), so how come Hitler managed to kill 6 million in the holocaust?:confused:
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought episode 3 was well researched and richly presented. A fine TV documentary. I wish more viewers were watching.

DS viewers? The majority will be watching TOWIE or some such rubbish. :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very powerful in it's presentation tonight.
    I'm finding this a fascinating series if also more than a little depressing - I'm not altogether sure that humanity has learned the lessons it should've learnt from the Holocaust - watching some aspects of this series just makes me feel like the world doesn't really get any better:(
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand, Schama said that in 1940 there were 3 million Jewish people left in Europe (after many had emigrated to America), so how come Hitler managed to kill 6 million in the holocaust?:confused:

I did wonder about that too, but I think he meant in Eastern Europe [ the pale ?] .
    Occupied Western Europe certainly had millions of Jews.

Schama made the point well that it wasn't just Germans who participated in atrocities against Jewry, Lithuanians and other Eastern European peoples willingly took part in shameful episodes of slaughter.
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he referred to Eastern Europe. Add in Germany, France, Netherlands, the Balkans...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic episode. Nice to see the tribute to Yip Harburg. He was a hero of mine when I was growing up.

A minor critisism: Schama kept referring to how the sons of the immigrants to the US were hungry, and to what the sons achieved. What about the daughters? I realise the episode was a hour long and it's hard to describe the rich history of Jewish life in America in a limited time, but I would have liked some mention of the women's experience. I'm suprised he didn't refer to the Triangle factory fire of 1913 or the women's role in creating the garment workers' unions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic episode. Nice to see the tribute to Yip Harburg. He was a hero of mine when I was growing up.

A minor critisism: Schama kept referring to how the sons of the immigrants to the US were hungry, and to what the sons achieved. What about the daughters? I realise the episode was a hour long and it's hard to describe the rich history of Jewish life in America in a limited time, but I would have liked some mention of the women's experience. I'm suprised he didn't refer to the Triangle factory fire of 1913 or the women's role in creating the garment workers' unions.

I hadn't heard of Yip Harburg but again found Sunday's episode really fascinating.
    Good point re: the women, but yes, as you say, there must have been an embarrassment of riches when it came to picking and name-dropping Jewish businessmen, influential workers, songwriters, performers, actors, directors, producers, etc that made it big in America, in a one-hour programme. It's almost impossible to overstate the contribution that these Jews made to the arts, to business, to society in general, despite only making up a tiny percentage of the country's population.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand, Schama said that in 1940 there were 3 million Jewish people left in Europe (after many had emigrated to America), so how come Hitler managed to kill 6 million in the war?:confused:

Wasn't he talking about the Jews of Lithuania and the Pale?
    Anyway, the programme was profoundly moving tonight. The old wood carver, the last Jew in Plonje (?) really got to me.
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've been catching up with this series on iPlayer and the same thoughts occurred to me last night as I was watching. Women seem to have been almost entirely absent from Schama's story so far. Perhaps he'll rectify this later but it does seem that he's really not interested in the female point of view so far.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    My husband said that he was going to Germany in February.
    The American parents, the husband an author of computer studies books, the wife a college professor, looked aghast.
    "Do you really think that you'd be in any danger from the German authorities if you went there," I asked.
    This was around 2002 - 2003, and they were ostensibly an educated family, my mind boggled.

That is incredible, it's like an educated couple from Uganda saying they'd be terrified
    of visiting the U.S. in case they were forced to pick cotton on a plantation.
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the programme, not really my scene, but this thread reminded me of something that happened some 15 - 18 years back.
    We came out of a restaurant around 00.45 on New Year's Day and wandered into a bar to wind down.
    We got into conversation with an American family from San Francisco, Ca., husband, wife, and 2 teenaged children.
    During the conversation they asked if we had any further trips planned at that time.
    My husband said that he was going to Germany in February, to visit his son from his first marriage, who had married a German girl and lived near Hanover.

Interesting but not true to my family. My Husband is a Polish- American Jew and a lot of his family disappeared in WW2 but he married me, a German Catholic. We are very happy and lived in several different countries before we settled in the UK and became British Citizens. I get on well with his Mother, who was actually born in the Warsaw Ghetto and was evidently smuggled out after her Parents sold their gold teeth.

Program is very interesting.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been a very interesting series.

Very sad end to episode 4. The photographs of the poor people of the Pale and the story of the old wood carver brought tears to my eyes. I'll probably be a complete mess by the end of the final episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bit absurd really. Brings to mind the comment that the fellow in the first episode made after Schama asked if Jewish culture was always expecting the worst:
    "The Jewish imagination is paranoia, confirmed by history."
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watched the last episode last night. A very worthwhile series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    fascinating series,presented beautifully
  • StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see programmes of this quality,despite their limitations brought about by time constraints during production,form part of an 'Ethical Syllabus' in schools.Full marks to Simon Schama for presenting a fairly even-handed and dutifully researched series in a manner which I thought was respectfully entertaining.