Options

Is this the worst Corrie has ever been?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
Forum Member
✭✭
I have watched Corrie since 1997 and during all those years I have never been as shocked at the quality as I am now.
Characters personality's are changing, we have boring storylines along with the Tina and Peter crap and not to mention Kylie's antics.
The only storyline at the minute that is watchable is Roy and Hayley's but that will over soon and we will lose a fantastic character and actress.

They really need to do something to sort the show out because 2014 will be a very dark year.

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't. That time with Swampy (I can't remember his name. Emily's grandson) and stupid farce with that supermarket guy who sells double glazing now and gurns. Plus Fred Elliot era.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    It's turning into Blackburns Emmerdale era.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    No, worst ever for me was 1996 and 2005 (esp the silly Summer). It still has great moments, funny lines and cast longevity the other soaps would die for.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    No, worst ever for me was 1996 and 2005 (esp the silly Summer). It still has great moments, funny lines and cast longevity the other soaps would die for.

Definitely agree...
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I detest Blackburn's work, it has been much worse than this. Like VoodooChic mentioned, the awful "Carry On"-style crap during 2005 was hideous and a true low point for the show.

And are you all forgetting Kim Crowther? :o
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While some of the other years people have mentioned have been bad as well, I think the main problem with it at the moment is that they're ruining the characters as well as churning out poor quality stories. Corrie's always had some likeable characters even during the weak/stupid storyline periods, however I don't think there's been one character I haven't wanted to strangle at some point this year. But then, maybe I'm just developing anger issues. :)
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,061
    Forum Member
    I'm getting more interested in DS forums than watching Corrie
    Since that new producer took over Corrie's going down down down
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what was riveting before Blackburn took over. People are going ott just because he didn't do well at Emmerdale.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching since 2004 and never remember it being this bad
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    I can't remember what was riveting before Blackburn took over. People are going ott just because he didn't do well at Emmerdale.

Some certainly are overreacting, but personally speaking, I'm just commenting on what I'm watching. I switched off Emmerdale but gave him a chance on Corrie because I thought he'd be more suited here. Turns out he's just as bad. I really didn't start to dislike his work on Corrie until a month or so ago - until then everything was (mostly) fine for me.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree that it has recently gone downhill...

However, I remember the Carry On summer of 2005 with the Batterby's taking centre-stage and that was truly abysmal.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. Things may not be going well for them right now but mid-2005 to mid-2010 were pretty awful. Then again in Spring 2011/Xin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have been 11 when it aired in 2005 - what was so bad about it? I loved it when I watched it back then, Cilla was amazing and her friend, the blonde one!! Does anyone remember when Cilla was in a wheel chair and the blonde lady took her around the shops stealing things? SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I think the strongest thing about CS atm is its cast longevity. Hope Ken comes back for that reason. Good Kevin is coming back as well.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is too much deadwood in the show for my liking and classic characters like Deirdre who are been turned into unfunny comedic characters- a complete lack of respect for Anne Kirkbride who is a Corrie stalwart.

The writing and direction is not good at the moment.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    2005 was one of the worst years of Coronation Street that I can remember. One of the main storylines that summer was Janice getting nits and having to shave her hair off.

So to answer the OP's question, no, absolutely nowhere near the worst. I do think this forum is vastly overstating the decline in quality. I honestly think it's fine. It may well have been better, but it's also been a lot, lot worse.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    I would have been 11 when it aired in 2005 - what was so bad about it? I loved it when I watched it back then, Cilla was amazing and her friend, the blonde one!! Does anyone remember when Cilla was in a wheel chair and the blonde lady took her around the shops stealing things? SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!! :D

I did like when Gillian Wright (aka Jean Slater, EE) made a guest appearance and went nuts over her husband cheating on her.

It was just a mess of a year though overall. I remember the summer of the year was devoted to comedy filler and watching Charlie cheat again.

What's worrying is that they still managed audiences of up to 13 million at points.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I thought Friday's second episode was outstanding, which isn't something I could say about any episode from 2009, which was easily Coronation Street's worst year yet.

Generally speaking I'd say everything up until about '04/early '05 was superior to everything since. The number of people mentioning summer '05 as a turning point is no coincidence - this was the point Carolyn Reynolds left as Executive Producer and the show has been varying degrees of slapdash since, with short bursts of high quality.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it has been in my opinion, Blackburn has done exactly the same to Corrie as he did to Emmerdale - He's an absolutely AWFUL producer and it seems he has no idea what to do with anybody else apart from his special characters! In fact, I can only name a couple of characters who are likeable these days, I've never had to switch off a soap before (apart from Hollyoaks) until SB took over, this is MY opinion, but if things don't get fixed soon I can't see me getting back into Corrie any time soon
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    The Cilla and Les 2004/5 panto era was far far worse. It was unwatchable for me.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched on and off since I was young, I think it's unwatchable right now IMO.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are being a bit extreme citing a whole five years (2005 - 2010) as being the worst period in the show, individual years make more sense.

I can remember Corrie getting some rave reviews in that time.

But yes I do fear for the show with the current producer, I think it will need an overhaul akin to what EE is experiencing at the moment once he has done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only been watching since 2008 but this is the worst I can remember Corrie being. :(
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I am rapidly going off Corrie at the moment. The Platts storyline is beyond boring. How many more times do we have to see Kylie stomp out of that door? Every episode we have to watch more of the same. Is there ever going to be a conclusion to this story?

Likewise Tina. Now I could take or leave her before but at the moment I'm eagerly awaiting her demise. When is the last time we had an episode not heavily featuring her?

Roy and Hayley. At first I thought this storyline would be incredibly sad. It is at times, but is also becoming a bore. The marvellous Roy will I'm guessing come into his own when Hayley has gone but at the moment he's reduced to just repeating over and over "Hayley needs to rest". I'm sure the writers have become so wrapped up in /hayley they have forgotten to write any script for Roy.

All of Corrie is just in a great loop, repeating over and over and there need to be conclusions and new storlines.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    Also, I think the strongest thing about CS atm is its cast longevity. Hope Ken comes back for that reason. Good Kevin is coming back as well.

I haven't missed Kevin at all, and have actually grown to like Sally's relationship with Tim. I'll be annoyed if Kevin comes back and puts a spanner in the works for them, which I'm sure he will.

I haven't miss Ken much either, proof if it's ever needed that the show will survive perfectly well without him. Deidre has actually been a much more fun character without his presence as well.