Options

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like what Jim Carrey said about him too: For the sensitive among us, sometimes the noise is just too much....
  • Options
    RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen 'Flawless'?
    It's the first film I saw PSH in, he plays a drag queen who help's rehabilitate DeNiro's character after a stroke.
    I don't think it's a very well known movie but it's worth a look, if anyone's interested, mainly for the Hoffman/DeNiro chemistry.

Very sad that his legacy will now be about drugs rather than what a wonderful actor he was, my heart goes out to those poor boys x
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He was a wonderful talent. Such a shame. Not that I'd wish this happen to anyone but when you look at Charlie sheen being a self indulgent knob openly boasting about his drug taking and Philip Seymour Hoffman trying his best to keep off the stuff it seems so unfair.

May I say I don't wish Charlie sheen to die or anything but he just doesn't seem to appreciate how fleeting life can be.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedHed wrote: »
    Has anyone seen 'Flawless'?
    It's the first film I saw PSH in, he plays a drag queen who help's rehabilitate DeNiro's character after a stroke.
    I don't think it's a very well known movie but it's worth a look, if anyone's interested, mainly for the Hoffman/DeNiro chemistry.

Very sad that his legacy will now be about drugs rather than what a wonderful actor he was, my heart goes out to those poor boys x

I hope it won't. He was and is so much bigger than his demons. Those that focus on his death and make that his legacy will be doing him a huge disservice.

Heartbreak. How fragile we are.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredibly sad news.

Such a talented actor and apparently all round good bloke. Heartbreaking for his partner and children and just so very sad that he lost the fight with his addiction.

Some of the idiotic comments on here are worthy of nothing but contempt.

RIP.
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the US at the moment, and there doesn't seem to be much sympathy for PSH on any of the radio stations where they are talking about it., and I'm inclined to agree with that. There are far more people who die young through no fault of their own who are far more deserving of our sympathy. Hoffman is not one of them as far as I'm concerned. I know nothing of him other than he was in a few films I have seen. I cannot get emotionally moved by his passing...
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For your information I have minor learning difficulties and dyslexia. Is that ok with you ?

Anyway I read his selfish death won't delay the hunger games which is good. Can't wait for it

Troll.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    I'm in the US at the moment, and there doesn't seem to be much sympathy for PSH on any of the radio stations where they are talking about it., and I'm inclined to agree with that. There are far more people who die young through no fault of their own who are far more deserving of our sympathy. Hoffman is not one of them as far as I'm concerned. I know nothing of him other than he was in a few films I have seen. I cannot get emotionally moved by his passing...

a class case of confirmation bias…..
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tragic. The painful details coming out paint a picture of a man who just completely left the rails of the track. I'm not sure there was anything anyone could have done for him.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very interesting and enlightening - I guess there aren't easy answers but you do wonder what makes a person suseptable to this illness - it's very sad that it not only deprived Hoffman of his life but it probably wrecked his home life too. He seemed to have everything you wonder what went wrong that meant the void could suck him back in again.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More trolls here than Middle Earth.

Why do the unsympathetic struggle with spelling?

I would say because they're numpties but my spelling's pretty bad too - I think it's the emotion. Sadly I don't think this is new - I was a Nirvana fan back in the day and the unsympathetic reaction to Cobain's death was the first tip off to what utter bleepers the likes of the Daily Mail are to me and yet we were encouraged almost cohersed into mourning Princess Diana (a friend of mine just wanted to celebrate her birthday and found everywhere was closed around that time and jokes and skeptism that this was not a saint who had perished were heavily discouraged). It seems there are some quarters who firmly believe no one sane loves a junkie - who just don't understand and don't want to understand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    Very interesting and enlightening - I guess there aren't easy answers but you do wonder what makes a person suseptable to this illness - it's very sad that it not only deprived Hoffman of his life but it probably wrecked his home life too. He seemed to have everything you wonder what went wrong that meant the void could suck him back in again.

Indeed, from what I understand of the nature of addiction it is not something that ever really goes away, you do not stop being addicted simply because you are no longer physically addicted to the drug. He may have never let go of the mental need for release. We all have our daemons, every single one of us, and we all have our ways of dealing with them, sadly some are more self destructive then others.

I am shocked, if not surprised by some of the comments here and elsewhere, as if somehow we should not separate the man from his addictions. Addiction is a disease, and it is worth empathy and help, not scorn. The attitude of we don't like heroin, you took it therefore we don't like you is not helping anyone. Hate heroin, don't hate the man.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    From what I read, he was in rehab only last year. Surely during his stay there he's learned some coping mechanisms, or at least got a sponsor or phonenumbers he could call if the urge reared its ugly head again.

65 bags of heroin anddon't just magically appear in your apartment. You had to call someone or go out to get those. Money exchanged hands. He had to then prepare the drugs so he could inject himself. All these steps had to be taken where he could have hit the 'stop' button and called help. He didn't.

He chose drugs over his family, over his work, over his life. Like Jared Padalecki said, a stupid and senseless death. Poor kids who now have to go without their dad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Interesting isn't it, that some people are so concerned with whether or not a particular film gets released without delay. And they have the audacity to call Philip Seymour Hoffman selfish! Heaven forbid that this man's death should delay your enjoyment of a film.

Why are people getting so upset if someone asks about the film? Last time I checked this is a showbiz forum, I think asking how the film will be finished is a legitimate question after one of the cast members has died while they're still shooting it.

I'm not a fan of the Hunger Games films but I too wonder what they'll come up with. Not even sure if his was a big part in the films, so maybe he'd already finished his bit?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »

He says 90% of people can drink and take drugs safely. There's nothing safe about shooting yourself with heroin, not even once. You have a choice at the beginning. Then there's a craving that you can try to resist, but it never goes away completely. He wants people to have sympathy with addicts. But there's weed and there's heroin, not quite the same. He made that choice to take heroin, only because of that he now struggles daily with it. And good for him for not giving up. But I still can't sympathise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you self destruct with drugs, drink or anything else, then you're clearly in a very bad place and needing help and understanding - and that's always an ongoing process.
    I don't think it's a case of choosing drugs over family - any more than I think people who commit suicide are "selfish" - I don't think mental illness or addiction work in any kind of logical way.
    It's tragic for him and for his family and loved ones and I'd hope the majority would show compassion and understanding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    65 bags of heroin anddon't just magically appear in your apartment. You had to call someone or go out to get those. Money exchanged hands. He had to then prepare the drugs so he could inject himself. All these steps had to be taken where he could have hit the 'stop' button and called help. He didn't.

He chose drugs over his family, over his work, over his life. Like Jared Padalecki said, a stupid and senseless death. Poor kids who now have to go without their dad.

That's addiction. Everyones brains are wired differently. Some people have no addictive traits to their personality and can stop whenever they want. Other people just need one sniff and they're in trouble. That's the nature of addiction. If only it were as straight forward as pressing a stop button. But sadly we can't reach into our brains and press a button. We have to live with the thoughts, needs, desires, urges and try our best to control them. He never tried to hide behind this or pretend he didn't have addiction issues. He was very open about them. And sadly it appears he gave in to the thoughts in his head telling him to take the drugs after years of being clean. He knew he was in trouble.. even told his friends he was in trouble. But it's easier said than done to suggest all he had to do was make a different choice.

I feel for his kids I really do don't get me wrong. But I'm not about to attack him for stupid decisions. I've never been where he was. I don't know what was going on in his head having being separated from his partner. I don't know if he had any joy in his life or if every day was a struggle for him. We all have our battles. His unfortunately cost him his life.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    We could be all sensitive about this, but heroin addiction is a heavy stuff. I think there's enough information about heroin and that it is physically addictive and that you can get addicted pretty quickly. So if you do it anyway 'just for fun' then you deserve all the fun you get. Unless somebody forced it into him, he's fully responsible for it and deserves no sympathy. Just another addict who kicked the bucket.

He gets no sympathy from me either. It's the children I feel sad for. He had no business bringing children into the world while he was struggling with his addiction. If he truly cared for them more than his drugs he would have kicked the habit completely.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only it were as straight forward as pressing a stop button.

How about not pressing a start button. Anybody that does not live in a vacuum knows heroin is a big one. You are addicted to it till you die. You can only try to cope with the cravings when they come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If only it were as straight forward as pressing a stop button. But sadly we can't reach into our brains and press a button. We have to live with the thoughts, needs, desires, urges and try our best to control them. He never tried to hide behind this or pretend he didn't have addiction issues. He was very open about them.

The button of course is proverbial. What I mean is, there are certain steps you take from having the craving to actually ending up in a room with a needle in your arm and being surrounded by 65 bags of the stuff.

If he had asked for help anywhere between getting that craving to the point where the needle was touching his skin, he'd still be here. He didn't.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    The scary thing is that his issues were so bad how on earth was 10 days in rehab considered enough time to get him back on the right path ? ( seems almost half assed)

No idea what goes on in American but my mum for alcohol addiction was in rehab for about 6 months as you have to change the way you think , the way you deal with issues and 100 other reasons of what made you drink instead of facing up to your problems .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They say it takes about 3 weeks to form a habit (as in, new years resolutions and things like that..) I'm pretty sure it takes a lot more than that to stop one as nasty as a drug addiction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    How about not pressing a start button. Anybody that does not live in a vacuum knows heroin is a big one. You are addicted to it till you die. You can only try to cope with the cravings when they come.

Well he pressed the start button in his late teens/early twenties and according to the reports he went hard and used anything and everything. Was clean for 20 years. And then something appears to have triggered him to come off the rails last year and he's slid down the spiral. What's the saying, you're only one drink away from a relapse.
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    If he had asked for help anywhere between getting that craving to the point where the needle was touching his skin, he'd still be here. He didn't.

I suspect with this type of substance if you have cravings it's already too late.

I just don't really see the value in "If only he did this" type debates because what's done is done. In some respects the fact the product he used had card symbols on sums it up. He played a particular hand of cards when he was younger which resulted in him having to live with that choice for the rest of his life and unfortunately it was ultimately the end of him. His hand caught up with him.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terribly sad, he was a talented actor. I was gobsmacked about how much heroin he had in his possession though. Was it suicide or a genuine accident?