✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    I believe liverpool will sign another striker to deal with the loss

Alexis Sanchez?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    I like Lallana think he has a lot of potential. Not sure about the money paid out.

I think he will be a bit of a dark horse for us, unlike the £35m we once paid for a horse. :p:D
  • BWBIDHBWBIDH Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Squibbles wrote: »
    I like Lallana think he has a lot of potential. Not sure about the money paid out.

A lot of potential? He is 26, not sure he is going to get much better. Still a good signing for Liverpool though.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BWBIDH wrote: »
    A lot of potential? He is 26, not sure he is going to get much better. Still a good signing for Liverpool though.

sturridge and others didn't fulfill their potential until BR got his hands on them :D
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Alexis Sanchez?

Probaly but he might be included in the deal for saurez transfer
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Luke Shaw off to Man Utd for £30m. Both players overpriced but I think you've got the player who will make the biggest impact for his new club.

Both players are very good. Delighted it looks like we got Lallana. I don't actually think Shaw is overpriced considering his age. If he turns out to be as good as I think then I think United have a top left back there for years to come. Good business for both clubs.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Can't say I'm really excited over Lallana, especially at such a heavy price tag, but I hope he'll be a nice surprise.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Both players are very good. Delighted it looks like we got Lallana. I don't actually think Shaw is overpriced considering his age. If he turns out to be as good as I think then I think United have a top left back there for years to come. Good business for both clubs.

It's because of his age I think Shaw is overpriced. The price tag along is enough pressure on the lad. Is it the Andy Carroll situation all over again?

To be honest I thought Lallana was younger so it looks like an even better deal for Liverpool but we all know English players are overpriced. :)
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »

No way. England is the only league in Europe where young players prices are hugely over inflated.

You never read of Barcelona or Madrid signing 18 year olds for £30 mil as the is absurd that a player who has played so little at the top level is bought for so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    No way. England is the only league in Europe where young players prices are hugely over inflated.

You never read of Barcelona or Madrid signing 18 year olds for £30 mil as the is absurd that a player who has played so little at the top level is bought for so much.

Neymar at 21 for approx £80m comes pretty close
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    Neymar at 21 for approx £80m comes pretty close

Not the same at all.

Neymar was playing top level football at 17 and International football at 18. By the time Barca bought him he played 4 seasons in Brazil and had been playing for the national side for 3 years.

More importantly Luke Shaw is a left back.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shaw has played 'at the top level' as much as Lallana.

He's 7 years younger and only cost £2-5m more.

Both deals look expensive to me, but could turn out to be great value. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the same at all.

Neymar was playing top level football at 17 and International football at 18. By the time Barca bought him he played 4 seasons in Brazil and had been playing for the national side for 3 years.

More importantly Luke Shaw is a left back.

And Shaw didn't play top level football or international football at 18?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    And Shaw didn't play top level football or international football at 18?

I never said he didn't. The difference is Neymar was playing at that level for 3 - 4 years.

Both deals look expensive to me, but could turn out to be great value. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yes they are both expensive. As I said you don't see such things in other leagues. England has a crazy market where all sense logic is thrown out the window.

A player only needs to perform for 1 season and the transfer value suddenly hits obscene amounts.

if Agüera played for Southampton after 1 year he would have cost what Utd paid for him after him playing for 3 years in La Liga.
    Forum Member

Time will obviously tell with Shaw. He could be your first-choice left back for the next 12+ years, in which case £30m will seem like a bargain. We're going to get a few seasons out of Lallana at his peak so we really need him to hit the ground running for the fee to be worth it.

Of course we also have to consider that £30m is probably a much smaller proportion of your overall budget than £25m is of ours. I don't think the people that are laughing at United quite realise that.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Time will obviously tell with Shaw. He could be your first-choice left back for the next 12+ years, in which case £30m will seem like a bargain. We're going to get a few seasons out of Lallana at his peak so we really need him to hit the ground running for the fee to be worth it.

Of course we also have to consider that £30m is probably a much smaller proportion of your overall budget than £25m is of ours. I don't think the people that are laughing at United quite realise that.

Good points, but we're not PSG. We can't really afford too many £30m flops, so we need to be careful when selecting targets.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Liverpool buying Lambert , Lallana from Southampton and the young African striker it kinda suggests that they have decided to offload Suarez .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    With Liverpool buying Lambert , Lallana from Southampton and the young African striker it kinda suggests that they have decided to offload Suarez .

How so Lambert was bought before the world cup and Liverpool were already in negotiations to buy Lallana
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »

That just contains stuff that's been discussed on here... doesn't have any quotes or anything so it's pieced together to make an article. It says that a player such as Sanchez could be used as part of any deal - again, nothing new. If he goes, it's the cash + player deal that would suit Rodgers. All comes down to whether Sanchez would want to come to Anfield though.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sergio Ramos was signed for 27m Euro back in 2005 and was bought as a right back
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Sergio Ramos was signed for 27m Euro back in 2005 and was bought as a right back

That doesn't really refute misawa's point as €27m in 2005 would have been equal to less than £20m, and that was a transfer record for a teenager until United bought Rooney for about £25m. The only recent example to beat that was PSG's capture of 19-year old Marquinhos for £27m. With Shaw now holding the record, I think we can agree this is not a regular thing across Europe.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good points, but we're not PSG. We can't really afford too many £30m flops, so we need to be careful when selecting targets.

I tend to agree. The difference to the team between a £5m fullback and a £30m+ fullback will be a lot less evident than buying a £30m+ midfielder to replace Cleverley. United have more urgent issues in central midfield and central defence so they either have money to burn (not true I'd say) or this is a big and slightly oddly timed gamble.

He's obviously good going forward but that was Evra's strength too - defensively he's still a little raw. Would've thought United should be buying players to get them back into the top four next season rather than looking further forward. If they buy two or three other decent CL quality players and don't make top four then that's a financial gamble.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    So it looks like Lallana is going to happen pretty soon. Still stories about Lovren and Moreno (with nothing concrete).

Our first game of the season is going to look like a Southampton civil war.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »

How so?

The young Belgian striker is being loaned back to Lille so he can continue to develop.

As another poster mentioned Lambert was signed before and the Lallana deal was being mentioned as soon as the season ended.

Your adding 2+2 and getting 5
This discussion has been closed.