Yorkshire is gearing up for the Tour de France!

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who want to know more about the Tour de France route, riders, complexities of the different competitions and team tactics, times of television coverage etc, ITV have a whole section of their web site here:
    http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Someone tell the ITV presenter its HAREwood House. Nor HARewood.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    For anyone who want to know more about the Tour de France route, riders, complexities of the different competitions and team tactics, times of television coverage etc, ITV have a whole section of their web site here:
    http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    I am rather amused about people talking about how it's going to cause traffic chaos in Cambridge - would anyone notice any difference from a normal day!

Indeed. In some ways it could be better than normal as many businesses are giving staff the day off or telling them to work from home. And at least it means the Council are finally fixing some potholes.

Some good ways the folk of Yorkshire have been celebrating
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/lance-armstrong-wouldnt-last-long-in-halifax
    Forum Member
    Someone tell the ITV presenter its HAREwood House. Nor HARewood.

It used to be. The dowager countess didn't like it though. Everyone (publicly) pronounced it the way she wanted.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone interested in the race is welcome to join in on DS's cycling thread in the sports section

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1849095&page=96

if you're new to it feel free to ask questions.......it can be a complicated sport in terms of the way it's organised, the team tactics, the different competitions that go on within the race and so on........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV having a lot of picture problems.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    ITV having a lot of picture problems.

same on Eurosport.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both ITV4 and Eurosport get the main pictures from the Tour's world feed, then add in their own continuity and fillers (Gary and Chris etc with ITV4). ITV4 buy Phil and Paul's commentary from an American broadcaster. Considering that everything moves site on most days it's a considerable technical achievement.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Look at the crowds in Otley.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Look at the crowds in Otley.

Impressed, a great turn out all along the route so far.
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's absolutely fantastic! Can't wait for tomorrow (I'm in York this weekend!) It's great to see them riding on familiar roads!

And it's stopped raining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is basically a very long advert for the Yorkshire Tourist Board
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    I work in Leeds and have seen the gradual build up to the Grand Depart this weekend. I am not a big cycling enthusiast and a bit 'meh' generally over the Tour de France. However today I felt a real buzz in the city centre. Leeds City Hall is covered in huge banners, there are flags and bunting everywhere and even yellow flowers in the flower beds. I have now become quite excited about the whole thing and it is fantastic that everywhere you in West Yorkshire you see promotion for the Tour. It's brilliant :)

Must admit I haven't joined the hordes but do feel proud of our city and the send-off they've been given today. Was weird seeing the filming 'copter up in the sky not far from my neck of the woods (when I went into the garden) and simultaneously watching it on telly. Was in the City Centre on Thursday and there was a buzz. Not going out anywhere as many local roads have been closed off.

It was hilarious seeing the cyclists' faces at Harewood House, when they had to stop and wait for all of the ceremonial/ royal guff. Talk about being distinctly underwhelmed!

The county looks beautiful from above. By 'eck, Yorkshire, tha's done proud.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skazza wrote: »
    It's absolutely fantastic! Can't wait for tomorrow (I'm in York this weekend!) It's great to see them riding on familiar roads!

Likewise, can't wait to get out there tomorrow. Still weighing up Holme Moss*, but may opt for somewhere a bit quieter!

* - Cote de Holme Moss, if we're being accurate :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    This is basically a very long advert for the Yorkshire Tourist Board

It sure is, job well done Yorkshire!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Must admit I haven't joined the hordes but do feel proud of our city and the send-off they've been given today. Was weird seeing the filming 'copter up in the sky not far from my neck of the woods (when I went into the garden) and simultaneously watching it on telly. Was in the City Centre on Thursday and there was a buzz. Not going out anywhere as many local roads have been closed off.

It was hilarious seeing the cyclists' faces at Harewood House, when they had to stop and wait for all of the ceremonial/ royal guff. Talk about being distinctly underwhelmed!

The county looks beautiful from above. By 'eck, Yorkshire, tha's done proud.

I have family and associates in Leeds, they are saying the same as you have that there is a vibe about the place.
    I have spotted two people I know in a small village at the start stood on the road side.
    Some others I know are in Harrogate, I doubt I will spot them though.

I am not that much in to biking but have got caught up with this race and all the publicity for it.
    I hope it fetches a lot of overseas tourism not just into Yorkshire but for our country as a whole.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I'm more interested in the places I know than the race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more interested in the places I know than the race.

I have zero interest in it as a sporting contest, I really don't care who wins and the tactics are all lost on me, but I still find it fascinating as a major international event and showing off one of the nicest parts of the country to the word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people start watching for the scenery in the Alps and the Pyrenees, or the small French villages and towns, or the countryside in general, or the spectacle of the whole event, etc. Gradually you'll probably get more familiar with the various jersey competitions, the tactics, the leading riders, the terminology and so on. It is quite complicated though - often described as "chess on wheels".
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be. The dowager countess didn't like it though. Everyone (publicly) pronounced it the way she wanted.

Being born 3 minutes away.......... It's Lord/Lady HARwood, HAREwood House (and HAREwood village), no matter what anyone may say...
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Massive crowds on this hill in the middle of nowhere.
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Being born 3 minutes away.......... It's Lord/Lady HARwood, HAREwood House (and HAREwood village), no matter what anyone may say...

I don't disagree. But its not what the family call it. And when talking with them or around them, everyone does the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Massive crowds on this hill in the middle of nowhere.

Middle of nowhere! Yorkshire is the centre of the universe, and this is the centre of Yorkshire!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't disagree. But its not what the family call it. And when talking with them or around them, everyone does the same.

You call *them* HARewood, not the house.