U.S. Coins

Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No, not the quarter, dime, nickel, or penny variety.
While searching for something in a drawer I came across a one dollar silver coloured coin, with what looks like Eisenhower's head on the front, it is dated 1974.
In the same drawer was another silver coloured half dollar coin, with J.F.K's head on it, dated 1983.
I'll probably give them to someone in the family who is into numismatics, but I wondered if they are worth more than their face value, or indeed, still considered legal tender in the U.S.A.?

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not the quarter, dime, nickel, or penny variety.
    While searching for something in a drawer I came across a one dollar silver coloured coin, with what looks like Eisenhower's head on the front, it is dated 1974.
    In the same drawer was another silver coloured half dollar coin, with J.F.K's head on it, dated 1983.
    I'll probably give them to someone in the family who is into numismatics, but I wondered if they are worth more than their face value, or indeed, still considered legal tender in the U.S.A.?

Not sure about either but I too have a silver dollar.
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering why you don't google them OP? There's loads on ebay like you describe.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skazza wrote: »
    Just wondering why you don't google them OP? There's loads on ebay like you describe.

Hangs head in shame, dons Dunce's cap, goes to back of class, doh!
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though not in 'common' usage, I think both are still available and in circulation..
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dollar coin from the 70s is unlikely to be worth much more than... well, a dollar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dollar coins aren't rare (2.4 billion minted 2007-2012) but are not popular in the US. The US public prefer their $1 bills, despite their lack of durability and small value.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk