Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    He is the same age as my mum and she is voting Yes

I'm sure that is what she tells you;-)
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I'm sure that is what she tells you;-)

"i better tell him i'm voting yes so he stops sending me all these links"

;-):D:p
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Perhaps someone can confirm stories that I've seen about BT paying "volunteers" about £8.00 per hour to canvass and even bussing Cambridge students up to campaign? Are there any similar stories about Yes Scotland paying people or bussing them up from England? Are all these wages properly taxed or taken into account for benefits?
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member

I'm not sure of the relevance of your mothers voting intentions, but thanks for letting me know... it's been keeping me up at night :D
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://yes2014.net/2014/08/01/oil-around-shetland-could-be-more-than-it-appears/

Shenanigans around Claire Field?

In an exclusive turn of events, several anonymous sources have advised us about strange going on’s in the Clair field near Shetland. A few days ago we were made aware that contractors working for BP were stood down after obtaining the results of the latest test drilling statistics.

We have had other information that contractors have in fact been sent home on full pay just after receiving these results and that they were advised that they would not be recalled until after the referendum. All of this happened just shortly before Prime Minister David Cameron became the first Prime Minister to visit Shetland in 34 years. His visit was shrouded in secrecy and up until he was snapped by a photographer getting off the plane had been denied altogether.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21955536

Clair is already known as a "monster" field, holding eight billion barrels of oil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21955536

Clair is already known as a "monster" field, holding eight billion barrels of oil.

Stooip or reserves?

Plus the classification would be super giant, not monster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stooip or reserves?

Plus the classification would be super giant, not monster.

Pages 15/16 give more information about the Clare Field.

http://www.geoscience.co.uk/assets/file/Paleozoic%20Clastic%20and%20carbonate%20Reservoirs%20-countries%20with%20Hydrocarbon%20Field-%20November%202013.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just shows journalists don't know what they are writing about and the dangers of quoting chunks out of context. Not 8 billion barrels, but 640 million barrels over 40 years. Slight difference ant won't impact Scottish independence economics which are fine without oil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just shows journalists don't know what they are writing about and the dangers of quoting chunks out of context. Not 8 billion barrels, but 640 million barrels over 40 years. Slight difference ant won't impact Scottish independence economics which are fine without oil.

While that link says it is the largest field on the UKCS, it does say how large it is.

The article was mainly about a part under development. It really is a giant..

This wiki entry says 5 billion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_oilfield

The Clare Field is on the Atlantic Margin which runs down the west coast of Scotland down the west coast of Ireland, which is thought to have substantial reserves of oil and gas.. Clare could be the tip of the iceberg..

The Scottish Government has recently announced several marine protection areas around Scotland.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/marine-environment/mpanetwork

I wonder if this is a precursor to the government announcing/permitting oil and gas developments in the other areas.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While that link says it is the largest field on the UKCS, it does say how large it is.

The article was mainly about a part under development. It really is a giant..

This wiki entry says 5 billion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_oilfield

The Clare Field is on the Atlantic Margin which runs down the west coast of Scotland down the west coast of Ireland, which is thought to have substantial reserves of oil and gas.. Clare could be the tip of the iceberg..

The Scottish Government has recently announced several marine protection areas around Scotland.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/marine-environment/mpanetwork

I wonder if this is a precursor to the government announcing/permitting oil and gas developments in the other areas.

You make it seem like it's all about Oil, when really it's not.

Why would marine protection be linked to Oil exploration/production?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has your Mum been involved politically with the SNP since 1961 and held any posts in that organisation?
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God Black Sheep - are you really so obsessed that you have to post daily, and at 0520hrs today??!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my God Black Sheep - are you really so obsessed that you have to post daily, and at 0520hrs today??!

What time should I post that suits you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/987/worlds-largest-oil-field-not-found-the-mystery-surrounding-the-prime-ministers-shetland-visit/

"World’s Largest Oil Field NOT Found - The Mystery Surrounding the Prime Minister's Shetland Visit"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/987/worlds-largest-oil-field-not-found-the-mystery-surrounding-the-prime-ministers-shetland-visit/

"World’s Largest Oil Field NOT Found - The Mystery Surrounding the Prime Minister's Shetland Visit"

Being absolutely rational here, it's not something the Govt could practically cover up, an oil field that's the worlds largest. I mean, why would the PM need to travel to Shetland to personally cover up something of this magnitude.

It really is Tinfoil time with some of the claims that some of the separatists come out with regarding Oil.
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time should I post that suits you?

Preferably? Not at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being absolutely rational here, it's not something the Govt could practically cover up, an oil field that's the worlds largest. I mean, why would the PM need to travel to Shetland to personally cover up something of this magnitude.

It really is Tinfoil time with some of the claims that some of the separatists come out with regarding Oil.

Have you heard of the McCrone Report?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you heard of the McCrone Report?

Was he the Westminster economist who calculated that with North Sea oil an independent Scotland would be so rich it would be embarrassing? His report was buried and kept top secret by consecutive Westminster governments untill Alex Salmond pressured them through FOI to hand over the books on Scotlands economy, wasn't it? But hold on if that's true then Westminster telling Scots that Scotland is so heavily subsidised by England that is nothing more than a country of subsidy junkies well that's just taking the piss surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.weourselves.com/on-sept-18-scots-can-gift-cameron-westminster-2-5-trillion-of-their-money-to-spend-on-improving-londons-infrastructure/

Cameron tries to “McCrone Report” evidence of vast new oil field in Scottish waters.

News of “World’s largest oil field” discovered in Scottish waters is being suppressed till Sept 19, claim.

£2.5 TRILLION of Scotland’s wealth said to be at stake as Cameron seeks to suppress news of vast new oil reserves until after the referendum.:o
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Preferably? Not at all.

Now now Ian, no need for unpleasantness!
  • Options
    AidyAidy Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    1) If Camelot, or whoever is employed at that time, are not running the Scottish Lottery then their equipment would no longer be of any use and thus surplus. That'd be a buyers market.
    2) Even if, and I see you're assuming we'd be in the EU, it was put out to tender it should be obvious that Camelot would almost certainly win as they'd have the lowest set up cost due to already owning a network of machines suited to the task.
    3) Even though the chances of winning would stay the same you miss the point that the chances of someone winning the jackpot in a given week are tied to the
    number of people taking part. I suggest you research the chances of sharing a birthday for a start.
    4) A lower number of balls increase the chances of winning.
    5) Are you really suggesting that Camelot would somehow be barred by the rUK from bidding for a contract.
    6) Your comment about plug and play only makes sense in the context of an existing system. You're don't seem to know what you're talking about there.

1) If Camelot, or whoever is employed at that time, are not running the Scottish Lottery then their equipment would no longer be of any use and thus surplus. That'd be a buyers market.

A very simplistic view. What is in the retailers contract about return of machines? Whose responsibility is it to return? Is it compatible with adding on another lottery?

The machines would still be of use in rUK, they could be used for spares, they could be used for replacements...so not necessairly a buyers market as you suggest but I can just imagine someone like Del Boy selling them 2 for a tenner at the Barrowlands.
    2) Even if, and I see you're assuming we'd be in the EU, it was put out to tender it should be obvious that Camelot would almost certainly win as they'd have the lowest set up cost due to already owning a network of machines suited to the task.

BIB - first go at deflection. How predictable.

You do realise that the Scottish Government have their own procurement rules so it would have to be put out to tender? Glad to see you have already decided who would win.
    3) Even though the chances of winning would stay the same you miss the point that the chances of someone winning the jackpot in a given week are tied to the
    number of people taking part. I suggest you research the chances of sharing a birthday for a start.

Currently if I put £2 on the national lottery draw I have a 14m to 1 chance of winning at least a share of a jackpot of around £3m. So when I put it on I have two hopes - one that its my turn to turn to win and that I dont have to share it with anyone.

What you seem to be suggesting is that I now have three considerations. One that its my turn, the second being that I don't have to share it with anyone and the third being that it has rolled over a few times to get a prize that I could win with one go currently.

I can just imagine the marketing slogan:

'In it but don't want to win it....not this week anyway...leave it a few weeks and hope no-one wins it'
    4) A lower number of balls increase the chances of winning.

Thats not what you said. You said:
    Fewer players mean that statistically there will be more rollovers or that the number of balls for a win will be higher. Jackpot sizes won't actually vary that much in the first scenario. In the second you'll actually have a greater chance of winning.

BIB being the relevant bit.
    5) Are you really suggesting that Camelot would somehow be barred by the rUK from bidding for a contract.

Second attempt at deflection. I didn't say that or anything like that.
    6) Your comment about plug and play only makes sense in the context of an existing system. You're don't seem to know what you're talking about there.

Exactly how I feel when I read most of your posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/03/alex-salmond-scottish-referendum-alistair-darling-debate?CMP=twt_gu

Darling's only hope of matching his opponent (he will never better him) during this exchange and the second one to follow lies in disrupting the flow of debate. The former chancellor is a thoroughly insipid public speaker who engenders no passion or belief in what he is saying. His answers seem learned by rote and his continual blinking as he's delivering them makes him look unconvincing, like an understudy who's just been acquainted with the script owing to the leading man being incapacitated.

I'm getting a munchie box in for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independence-referendum-alex-salmond-alistair-3964597

"If the Independence referendum was held today, how would you vote?"

I voted Yes.. nice to see Yes in the lead by a considerable distance
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independence-referendum-alex-salmond-alistair-3964597

"If the Independence referendum was held today, how would you vote?"

I voted Yes.. nice to see Yes in the lead by a considerable distance

This referendum is truly unpredictable, it's all up for grabs despite what the media tells you