Options

The Queen's Mother in Law. channel4.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    It's an understandable viewpoint - for hundreds of years, this is exactly how royal marriages were made; they were political or diplomatic alliances. It's hard to swallow any of the 'fairy tale' stuff in the wake of Charles and Di, in which the public were well and truly hoodwinked by a completely falsified 'romance' designed especially to fool people. In short, they have 'previous'.

I didnt really know much about when charles and di first met. Wasnt born. but i have read up on him and camilla how she wasnt suitable. Also wills and kate. I think they are great together and are in love. But she seems too perfect lol cant explain it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "How will we get there?" "You can take the bus" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Haha. Aww that was sweet of philip to carry out her last wish.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    What a woman.
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed that. Fascinating lady.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    What an interesting hour that was. I missed what happened to her husband, just that they lived apart and never divorced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I'm loving this woman, and this documentary goes along way to explaining Prince Philip
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snowiris wrote: »
    I didnt really know much about when charles and di first met. Wasnt born. but i have read up on him and camilla how she wasnt suitable. Also wills and kate. I think they are great together and are in love. But she seems too perfect lol cant explain it.

They were touted as love's young dream back in the early 80s. It was only when the marriage crumbled that the truth came out: the public had been fleeced all along - the whole thing was a set-up with Diana hand-picked to be 'the love of his life' for PR purposes. Although I'm no fan of Diana (or Charles), she was most certainly used without shame by the Windsors in those early years. It was as though they hadn't yet stepped out of the Edwardian idea of 'marry for show and an heir, amuse yourself with whoever you wish in private'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha. Aww that was sweet of philip to carry out her last wish.

Yes, and that they took her in so she was comfortable at the end of her life.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an interesting hour that was. I missed what happened to her husband, just that they lived apart and never divorced.

he gambled and had affairs, went off to the south of france,
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fascinating and admirable woman she was. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D that was so funny
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a woman Alice was - changed many people's lives and was so selfless. Terrific character and I am so glad that Philp fixed it for her to be laid to rest on the M. of O.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

in the biog I read it was noted that philip had asked her to live in the palace but she declined, she did agree when Elizabeth asked her. it said something on the lines of Lilibet had asked her to live there so she couldnt refuse or something like that.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although far from ideal, thank god we now have a much greater understanding of mental illness. What that woman must have suffered. And Philip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed - I'm glad she was not affected by wealth, though. She seems a truly charitable woman - giving away her own money to the needy rather than simply patronising charities and importuning others to give: and all without fanfare. Rather than Alice being one of the monarchy's 'secrets', they should be holding her up as an example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were touted as love's young dream back in the early 80s. It was only when the marriage crumbled that the truth came out: the public had been fleeced all along - the whole thing was a set-up with Diana hand-picked to be 'the love of his life' for PR purposes. Although I'm no fan of Diana (or Charles), she was most certainly used without shame by the Windsors in those early years. It was as though they hadn't yet stepped out of the Edwardian idea of 'marry for show and an heir, amuse yourself with whoever you wish in private'.

So were they going around all lovey dovey the way wills and kate are right now? Does what happened with charles and di make people skeptical?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    he gambled and had affairs, went off to the south of france,

So that's where Philip (allegedly) gets it... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dread to think what it was like in that mental asylum
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed - I'm glad she was not affected by wealth, though. She seems a truly charitable woman - giving away her own money to the needy rather than simply patronising charities and importuning others to give: and all without fanfare. Rather than Alice being one of the monarchy's 'secrets', they should be holding her up as an example.

Totally agree. Royal family need to really think about what they should hide and be ashamed of and what they should be proud off. Alicd sounds like a great woman and i feel for philip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So were they going around all lovey dovey the way wills and kate are right now? Does what happened with charles and di make people skeptical?

Indeed - I daresay you can look up some of their interviews or even pictures; it's amazing how much they acted up the 'romance' in order to take the whole world in. Then, in the end, it was revealed that Charles was keeping his 'friend' Andrew Parker Bowles' wife as a mistress throughout the courtship. He has even been reported as telling Diana that he had 'no intention of being the first Prince of Wales without a mistress'. And this is how we choose then next Head of the Church of England. I have no idea if it makes people skeptical of William and Kate, but I certainly find any of the Windsors' 'perfect romance' photo opportunities hard to stomach after they blatantly pulled one over on us all thirty years ago.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sold all her jewels. Only owned three dressing gowns when she died. Turned her back on the royal life.

Perhaps the nearest modern comparison is the Duchess of Kent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. Royal family need to really think about what they should hide and be ashamed of and what they should be proud off. Alicd sounds like a great woman and i feel for philip

I've said this in another thread - for an institution which apparently wishes to 'modernise' and move with the times, it's astonishing how out-of-synch a lot of their actions and attitudes seem to be with the modern, progressive UK of today in practise. The Queen's 'hidden cousins' are a case in point - why does the Palace continue to decline to comment when (assuming she is still alive) the disgracefully treated Katherine could attend royal events with a carer? Rather than adhering to the seventy year-old nonsense that learning difficulties must be brushed under the carpet, shouldn't the monarchy at least acknowledge the poor woman?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed - I daresay you can look up some of their interviews or even pictures; it's amazing how much they acted up the 'romance' in order to take the whole world in. Then, in the end, it was revealed that Charles was keeping his 'friend' Andrew Parker Bowles' wife as a mistress throughout the courtship. He has even been reported as telling Diana that he had 'no intention of being the first Prince of Wales without a mistress'. And this is how we choose then next Head of the Church of England. I have no idea if it makes people skeptical of William and Kate, but I certainly find any of the Windsors' 'perfect romance' photo opportunities hard to stomach after they blatantly pulled one over on us all thirty years ago.

I doubt Andrew PB gave a fig about what his wife was up to. If rumours are to be believed he was doing the same thing himself, with Princess Anne.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was very interesting. I am no fan of the royals to be honest but I think I would have liked Alice. I can't imagine being separated from all your children and being locked up against your will for 2.5 years.

I think it just highlights what a dysfunctional lot the royals are.
    Affairs, mental illness, learning disabled family members hidden away (there was also Prince John who was hidden away at Sandringham in addition to the 2 girls already mentioned above), bulimia, children with no family stability etc etc. Wow!