Options

The bedroom tax

wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
Forum Member
✭✭✭
my dad has just had a 'news letter' from the LA saying in april 2013 they will be introducing the 'bedroom tax'.

Basically if you live in a 3 bedroom house and have 2 kids say 9 and 6 years old they could share a bedroom, as only 2 bedrooms are needed and the benefit claimant will have to pay extra .

in the example it showed the rent being £72 a week and being covered fully by HB but under the new rules the claimant will have to pay £12 a week out their benefit to cover the rent.

the other example was a married couple living in a 2 bed house getting £85 per week and under the new rules they will have to pay £18.50 a week out their benefit to cover the rent

Comments

• Options
    queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a related thread

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1734804

what it seems to be about is, from what i understand from the thread, from next year councils have to decide how to give council tax benefit themselves. There will be no central rules instead they will be given a pot of money and have to make it meet all their responsibilities
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks didnt see that one. wonder how long until the window tax is brought back....
  • Options
    peterl332peterl332 Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    The changes to Council Tax Benefit are in addition to the changes in housing benefit and social housing rents.

The problem with the idea of penalizing those who are underoccupying their home in the hope they opt to downsize. Besides targeting the elderly whose children have left the family home, and especially elderly widows and widowers. Is that they may have spent time and money maintaining and improving their home, and they maybe very sentimentally attached to their home or the home maybe close to friends and family or have room for visiting relatives or in future a carer.

The major flaw in getting people to downsize is there are not enough smaller homes in social housing available to downsize to, especially since blocks of flats are not particularly well suited to the elderly.
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peterl332 wrote: »
    The changes to Council Tax Benefit are in addition to the changes in housing benefit and social housing rents.

The problem with the idea of penalizing those who are underoccupying their home in the hope they opt to downsize. Besides targeting the elderly whose children have left the family home, and especially elderly widows and widowers. Is that they may have spent time and money maintaining and improving their home, and they maybe very sentimentally attached to their home or the home maybe close to friends and family or have room for visiting relatives or in future a carer.

The major flaw in getting people to downsize is there are not enough smaller homes in social housing available to downsize to, especially since blocks of flats are not particularly well suited to the elderly.

Yep , they see an elderly widow, say, in a two bedroom house and think " house blocker" they do not see a widow who has space for guests, family etc .space to allow grandchildren to visit, space for family if relationships break down etc. It will most probably end up costing the LA more money than they are saving, in the long run. As most of these "saving" measures seem to do.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that it's also the start of a slippery slope. Next, it'll be ok for three kids to share a small room, then the parents in there with them.. so on and so forth.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are other major flaws - someone moves to a smaller property then becomes pregnant, someone whose child goes away to university / work / armed forces then returns. It doesn't seem to be a well thought out policy (now where have we heard that phrase before) and if they did want a "bed blocker" policy they should have started with people who have more than one spare bedroom.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor can we force single people and childless couples out of one bedroom houses to house the elderly and other people. Where would the singles and couples go? On the street?

Actually, considering the Government's utter contempt for single people, I do wonder...
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Single unemployed people can live in specially constructed "resorts"!

G4S will of course be providing the service needed to ensure security in the "resort"!

Labour used law to prod and poke it's way into peoples lives, controlling and intrusive. Was the Child Support Agency ever that interested in either children or value for the tax-payer? No, it was all about nannying.

With these Conservatives there is a real sense of abuse at the heart of public services. Hurt and humiliation is the focus. Psychological violence you might say.

I'm not saying it's a conscious thing. It's just who they are. They really cannot stop harming people, just as Labour really cannot stop controlling people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member

I recently had a visit from a council official who declared that my small 2 bedroom house was underutilised. In conversation he made the point that there were a severe shortage of rented accommodation in this area and that because of that private rents were very high and that the council had a shortage of single person accomodation . If all the people on Housing benefits were forced to downsize & move out, presumably because they were on benefits they could'nt afford the removal costs which could be quite expensive who would pay. The council ? the goverment? would the tenant get a loan and have to pay it back ? and where would they go. most private landlords don't want housing benefit claimants (at least around here) and most of the private accomodation is very poor compared to the social housing. So that leaves them with nowhere to go. Unless of course they replace the under 24's who will lose thier Housing benefit completely and be forced to return home etc. I reckon this is a cynical gamble by the goverment to make the poorest tenants pay more to stay where they are. combine this with the cuts on the poor and disabled already in the pipeline and its easy to see where the goverment sympathies don't lie. if i dared to suggest that an MP downsized his grace and favour london address to that of a cupboard they would scream the place down. Incidentally along with having the lowest benefits in europe we also have the doubtful "honour" of having the smallest amount of floor space per person per home of the developed nations.
    My local council has been busy modifying its single persons bungalows to accommodate a visitor/carer/guest etc because they realise single people living in single accomadation could be socially isolated & if the elderly fall ill they might need live in care.
    politically they are also gambling in that they know that most people on benefits are non voters and those in social housing are mostly in labour constituencies so for them its a win win make the poor pay and screw up the labour areas even more
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't this Government know that children grow up and do they not understand that while it may be okay for children of the opposite sex to sleep in the same bedroom when they are young it won't be acceptable for them to sleep in the same bedroom once they get into their teens ?

So once children reach their teens and families with more than one child have been downsized to live in a two bed roomed house does that mean that teenage sons or daughters have to move out because there are no spare bedrooms for them and if so where will they go considering this Government is planning on making all single people under 25 go and live with their parents.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Doesn't this Government know that children grow up and do they not understand that while it may be okay for children of the opposite sex to sleep in the same bedroom when they are young it won't be acceptable for them to sleep in the same bedroom once they get into their teens ?

So once children reach their teens and families with more than one child have been downsized to live in a two bed roomed house does that mean that teenage sons or daughters have to move out because there are no spare bedrooms for them and if so where will they go considering this Government is planning on making all single people under 25 go and live with their parents.

Well that's pretty straight-forward...

If they're unable to room-share, the daughter gets the bedroom, and the son can kip on the couch, or on a mattress on the living room floor.

Nothing wrong with that, and I know there isn't because that describes my own living arrangments for an extended period of time when I was younger. It's not a problem.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    thanks didnt see that one. wonder how long until the window tax is brought back....

Well considering that was a tax that affected wealthy people and with the current government we have, I'd say it's pretty unlikely - don't want to scare away the Russian wealth creators in Knightsbridge now:cool:
    TimCypher wrote: »

If they're unable to room-share, the daughter gets the bedroom, and the son can kip on the couch, or on a mattress on the living room floor.

Nothing wrong with that, and I know there isn't because that describes my own living arrangments for an extended period of time when I was younger. It's not a problem.

Regards,

Cypher

But then the family could rightly say to the council that they are living in overcrowded conditions, thus becoming a higher priority on the waiting list for a larger property.

The policy, like Universal Credit, sounds reasonable on paper, but reality always throws up kinks that derail even the best laid plans.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »

Regards,

Cypher

Back to the slums we go. :rolleyes:

Sum's up the Tory party to a "T", lets all go back to the glorious slums of the early 20th century. Those were happy times. :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who is single and unemployed and he gets housing and CT benefit for a 3-bedroomed house on the basis that he has a teenage son and daughter from a previous relationship who visit him for one weekend a month.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Afaik this is down to councils not central government. I fully understand that a teenage girl doesn't want to share a bedroom with her brother and vice versa but to say it unaccepable is ott unless you think most teenage brothers and sisters are liable to indulge in incest just because they share a bedroom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well considering that was a tax that affected wealthy people and with the current government we have, I'd say it's pretty unlikely - don't want to scare away the Russian wealth creators in Knightsbridge now:cool:

But then the family could rightly say to the council that they are living in overcrowded conditions, thus becoming a higher priority on the waiting list for a larger property.

The policy, like Universal Credit, sounds reasonable on paper, but reality always throws up kinks that derail even the best laid plans.

Well, personally, I'd have said that the council providing a two-bedroom property was very good. That's more than many have who are not on state support.

It is, ultimately, up to the parents to control how many children they have, and living arrangements, both for immediate and in the future, should be accounted for at the family planning stage.

It seems reasonable that special circumstances should apply if you're dealing with twins, triplets etc...and also for families who have paid into the system, but now find themselves out of work through no fault of their own.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Back to the slums we go. :rolleyes:

Sum's up the Tory party to a "T", lets all go back to the glorious slums of the early 20th century. Those were happy times. :D

A two-bedroom house or flat is a slum?

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor can we force single people and childless couples out of one bedroom houses to house the elderly and other people. Where would the singles and couples go? On the street?

Actually, considering the Government's utter contempt for single people, I do wonder...

Single people on benefits could do what I did as a single person not on benefits did until I was in my 40s. Share.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Sorry - how is being informed you are getting less benefit meaning you are paying more tax?

Surely what it means is that those who are paying taxes are having to subsidise you less to live in a bigger property than you need! So there is a simple answer - agree to move somewhere smaller and allow the property to be used by a larger family who actually needs the space!

I wish I could get a subsidy of up to £400 a week to rent a large house - but those who have to work and pay market prices for our housing cannot afford such luxuries!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Sorry - how is being informed you are getting less benefit meaning you are paying more tax?

Yes it an odd concept and must surely mean those getting no HB must be paying even higher bedroom taxes.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Yes it an odd concept and must surely mean those getting no HB must be paying even higher bedroom taxes.

I wish I could afford to live in a 3 bed house in my area - even though I am on double local average earnings I couldn't afford to buy a property that big. The rent would also be huge as well each month.

So I get a little bored of the complaints from benefit claimants who expect to get everything for free including being able to live rent (or close to rent free) in properties which people on well above average earnings cannot afford anymore!

Where is the incentive to work when you end up being worse off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely what it means is that those who are paying taxes are having to subsidise you less to live in a bigger property than you need! So there is a simple answer - agree to move somewhere smaller and allow the property to be used by a larger family who actually needs the space!

I wish I could get a subsidy of up to £400 a week to rent a large house - but those who have to work and pay market prices for our housing cannot afford such luxuries!

There aren't enough smaller properties for people to move into.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »
    Single people on benefits could do what I did as a single person not on benefits did until I was in my 40s. Share.

Yup, me too before I was finally able to afford my own place - nothing wrong with it and it's totally common practice.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could afford to live in a 3 bed house in my area - even though I am on double local average earnings I couldn't afford to buy a property that big. The rent would also be huge as well each month.

So I get a little bored of the complaints from benefit claimants who expect to get everything for free including being able to live rent (or close to rent free) in properties which people on well above average earnings cannot afford anymore!

Where is the incentive to work when you end up being worse off!

Yes, there does seem to be a split in society between those who work and would like to move into a bigger house and/or have more children but cannot afford to and those who think it's their automatic right to be provided with somewhere to live big enough for their ever-growing family.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who has 2 young boys who also got letter telling her that in april 2013 she will have to pay £12 a week extra or be moved and you don`t get a say in where you move to. It could be on a really rough estate. The boys are at that age where they want their own space and forcing them to share a bedroom is wrong. if she had a boy and girl then she wouldn`t have to move. she is refusing to move and they will have to physically remove her, her Boyfriend and kids. this tax cannot happen because if it does god knows where it will end.