BBC 4 daytime - why not?

JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
Forum Member
I love BBC 4 and the days I manage to get off work would love to watch it.

My question is, with the advanced compression methods used these days why doesn't BBC 4 broadcast in the daytime?

The widespread part-time channels on Freeview is annoying. Surely there must be a way for the BBC to broadcast BBC3 and 4 throughout the day.

To me, it seems silly showing quality documentaries in the early hours of the morning when the audience is relatively low.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The primary issue is space - BBC Four shares bandwidth with CBeebies. So in order for it to run during the day the BBC would need to find (and pay for) additional SD and HD space on DTT, and additional transponder space on satellite. They would probably need to buy additional playout suites from RedBee, as they presumably share these as well.

And of course, budgets have been squeezed of late.
  • mikemoldmikemold Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    A simplistic answer and with my limited knowledge on the subject, my guess is that BBC3 and BBC4 timeshare "Freeview" slots with CBBC and Cbebbies, presumably to keep costs down.
    Im sure if I'm wrong somebody will soon tell me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certain that they also share transponder space.
  • JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see BBC 4 all day, but the only way would be to merge Cbeebies and CBBC. BBC 4 could show some of the older programmes and films that TV companies don't like showing including most in Black and White during its daytime viewing. It was great to see some old Ealing Classics over the holidays on BBC 4 but it's the same old films that are always shown - there are thousands of British films, some good, some bad (but still painting a picture of the past). And I can't see any channel on terrestrial or Satellite tapping this market.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see BBC 4 all day, but the only way would be to merge Cbeebies and CBBC. BBC 4 could show some of the older programmes and films that TV companies don't like showing including most in Black and White during its daytime viewing. It was great to see some old Ealing Classics over the holidays on BBC 4 but it's the same old films that are always shown - there are thousands of British films, some good, some bad (but still painting a picture of the past). And I can't see any channel on terrestrial or Satellite tapping this market.

Totally agree with you. Would love to see a film channel on Freeview showing these kinds of films - both Movie Mix & True Entertainment films regularly get 50-150k + viewers - not huge, but if the advertising fees were pitched at a certain level then it could work.

I guess though it's cost and investment and commitment.

Said on here before I now access a lot of the old films via Lovefilm - they have a great library of old films - British, foreign/USA etc.. especially access to hard to find/B movies! Well worth the fees they charge.
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love BBC 4 and the days I manage to get off work would love to watch it.

My question is, with the advanced compression methods used these days why doesn't BBC 4 broadcast in the daytime?

The widespread part-time channels on Freeview is annoying. Surely there must be a way for the BBC to broadcast BBC3 and 4 throughout the day.

To me, it seems silly showing quality documentaries in the early hours of the morning when the audience is relatively low.

In a perfect world, I agree, 24 hour BBC4 (and BBC3) would be great. In the real world, record the early hours output?
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answer: merge the 2 children's channels or close one of the hd versions
    (does CBeebies) really need hd?)
  • LankyLanky Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Isn't there enough dire daytime tv without spreading the BBC's resources even further?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Answer: merge the 2 children's channels or close one of the hd versions
    (does CBeebies) really need hd?)
    How would closing one of the HD versions help?

And why would restricting/reducing the breadth & range of children's programming be a good idea (apart from you not watching it)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Both BBC4 and BBC3 broadcast throughout the day but change their names to CBBC and CBeebies, and show children's programmes. They also change the LCNs. That last bit is just a big con to call them 4 channels instead of 2.

We've had this argument before on another thread just before Christmas - the simple fact is that the broadcasters treat them as separate channels, the EPGs treat them as separate channels, listing magazines list them as separate channels, the public see them as separate channels, the channels each have separate budgets, the channels have radically different and distinct programming, they serve very different audiences, they have different channel numbers, the BBC trust treat them as different channels.

To all intents and purposes, despite how they are broadcast from a technical perspective, they are separate channels, and this has little to do with this thread.
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Walt Ham wrote: »
    In a perfect world, I agree, 24 hour BBC4 (and BBC3) would be great. In the real world, record the early hours output?

On BBC4 you don't usually need to do this as the early hours output is a repeat of some of the 7pm-midnight programmes.

Or, put another way, BBC4 doesn't have the budget to broadcast more than about 5 hours of (new-ish) programming per day. Even some of that is a repeat from a few days/weeks/months ago. Even if the bandwidth was available and carriage charges were nothing - the BBC4 budget can't sustain 24 hour broadcasting.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    On BBC4 you don't usually need to do this as the early hours output is a repeat of some of the 7pm-midnight programmes.
    Yes, that is much what I was thinking. Do the BBC really have sufficient suitable material available to support 24 hour operation, or would it just result in each documentary being shown 6 times in a 24 hour period? Fine to provide single normal repeats plus a sign language repeat, but not all day long.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if the OP doesnt have a PVR, (s)he should invest in one so that (s)he can record the programs on in the evening/night and watch them during the day!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I think if the OP doesnt have a PVR, (s)he should invest in one so that (s)he can record the programs on in the evening/night and watch them during the day!
    Aren't they available via iPlayer for catch-up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Aren't they available via iPlayer for catch-up?

With BBC 4 some are some arent most are though. Some Dr Who episodes back in November (the first 4 episodes from 1963 that is), wernt on iplayer!
  • ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of alternative resources for documentaries out there, like http://www.freedocumentaries.org/ or http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

In saying that, I know how the OP feels. I used to enjoy watching BBC Knowledge during the day when I had a day off.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,413
    Forum Member
    BBC 4 daytime - why not?

In an ideal world, we'd have this but the BBC are subject to a six year licence fee freeze and there just isn't the money to show BBC4 16+ hours a day, unfortunately.
    There are plenty of alternative resources for documentaries out there, like http://www.freedocumentaries.org/ or http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

In saying that, I know how the OP feels. I used to enjoy watching BBC Knowledge during the day when I had a day off.

Documentaries of various types can also be found on Docubox http://tvcatchup.com/watch.html?c=141 or Youtube.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    BBC 4 daytime - why not?

In an ideal world, we'd have this but the BBC are subject to a six year licence fee freeze and there just isn't the money to show BBC4 16+ hours a day, unfortunately.
    Why not just combine BBC2 + BBC4 into a single channel? There is plenty of scope to do so by dropping repeats without needing to lose any content, and they would save all the money wasted running two channels unecessarily.

They could probably do the same for BBC1 + BBC3. After all, now that everything is digital there's no need to put things on BBC3/4 first, to persuade people to buy a digital receiver.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Why not just combine BBC2 + BBC4 into a single channel? There is plenty of scope to do so by dropping repeats without needing to lose any content, and they would save all the money wasted running two channels unecessarily.

They could probably do the same for BBC1 + BBC3. After all, now that everything is digital there's no need to put things on BBC3/4 first, to persuade people to buy a digital receiver.

BBC 3 and BBC 4 share the same playout as CBBC and Cbeebies, so there would be several hours of playout that the BBC would have to pay for without using!
    Also they mainly use their own MUXs and transponders for broadcasting them, so they might as well put something out there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    BBC 3 and BBC 4 share the same playout as CBBC and Cbeebies, so there would be several hours of playout that the BBC would have to pay for without using!
    Also they mainly use their own MUXs and transponders for broadcasting them, so they might as well put something out there!

And it would also seriously restrict viewer choice during those times when BBC Two would be normally showing things like snooker, or when BBC four would normally be showing Proms concerts (or similar).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And it would also seriously restrict viewer choice during those times when BBC Two would be normally showing things like snooker, or when BBC four would normally be showing Proms concerts (or similar).

Thats a good point they do have a very good use during events, they are just underused a bit at other times!
    The fact they are underused a bit sometimes does not mean they should be ditched though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    As I keep saying they are the same channels with different names during the day.

And as you keep on being told:

The broadcasters treat them as separate channels, the EPGs treat them as separate channels, listing magazines list them as separate channels, the public see them as separate channels, the channels each have separate budgets, the channels have radically different and distinct programming, they serve very different audiences, they have different channel numbers, the BBC trust treat them as different channels.

To all intents and purposes, despite how they are broadcast from a technical perspective, they are separate channels, and this has little to do with this thread.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    It was great to see some old Ealing Classics over the holidays on BBC 4 but it's the same old films that are always shown - there are thousands of British films, some good, some bad (but still painting a picture of the past). And I can't see any channel on terrestrial or Satellite tapping this market.

There have been a few quirky British films from the seventies on the Horror Channel lately including Doomwatch and And soon the Darkness, the latter was very interesting in painting a picture of the past although nothing much happened.