Options

Man dies will driving at over 80 mph and texting

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been reading about this and I am relieved that nobody else was killed.

He drove straight into the back of a horse lorry at over 80 mph whilst texting so,I am assuming the horses died, although it didn't say in the report.

His family are saying he was inspirational and that his life was snatched away from him and he had so much more to give. He was in his 30s. First off, I'd say he was very stupid and irresponsible and could have killed others and could they have lived with themselves if he had, say, killed a family or a minibus full of kids. His life wasn't snatched away either, he killed himself. He made the decision to drive at over 80 mph when the van was restricted to 60. He also chose to use his phone. What a prat!

Comments

• Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness no one else was killed.
    One up for the gene pool sorry.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Give the guy a break,yes he was stupid but hes paid the price and so will his family forever,that is punishment enough
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to sound like the link police, but is there one at all?

I'm just interested to read some more detail.

As for the 'he was an inspiration, taken too soon, so much more to give...' etc, I think that it's a situation which calls for some tact, especially by those that new him.

It wouldn't be the right time to do otherwise.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a contender for the Darwin awards
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the 'he was an inspiration, taken too soon, so much more to give...' etc, I think that it's a situation which calls for some tact, especially by those that new him.

A quick google brought up this:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/driver_was_texting_while_doing_80mph_on_a11_at_besthorpe_when_he_collided_with_a_horsebox_1_3212689
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give the guy a break,yes he was stupid but hes paid the price and so will his family forever,that is punishment enough
    But it could so easily have been someone else who paid the price.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most car accidents are due to lack of care and attention to greater or lesser degrees. To take any pleasure or sanctimonious approach is pretty disgusting.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Am talking to St Peter - will get bk 2 U"
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty sure Duggan's family said the same things about him .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Most car accidents are due to lack of care and attention to greater or lesser degrees. To take any pleasure or sanctimonious approach is pretty disgusting.

It really isn't in cases such as this. Thank God no-one else died as a result of his selfish actions.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inspirational? Yeah I'm so inspired to get behind the wheel with a mobile in one hand, hot dog in the other and do 85 down a country road all because of this man. Poor horses.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the rare occasions that the idiot responsible suffers not the innocent party hurt or killed while the **** texting or phoning walks away
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I am assuming the horses died, although it didn't say in the report.
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Doesn't mention the horses. Bastard.
    News article at the time of the crash

The horses were unhurt.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    One of the rare occasions that the idiot responsible suffers not the innocent party hurt or killed while the **** texting or phoning walks away

Like the bloke just this afternoon coming towards me in his car on MY side of the road with his phone jammed to his ear >:(
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsMacBeth wrote: »
    It really isn't in cases such as this. Thank God no-one else died as a result of his selfish actions.

Driver error due to speeding , lack of judgement , using handsets and other things is the cause of most accidents.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,019
    Forum Member
    MrsMacBeth wrote: »

Indeed not. His unbelievable stupidity and selfishness has left behind a distraught family.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear about the horses, not that bothered about the idiot driver.

I save my sympathy for people who are killed through no fault of their own, this guy had it coming.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

As you say, his inquest is the context in which the complimentary remarks were made, which is unremarkable. I found this link, which provides some depth to the remarks. Very sad that he was unwise enough to drive like this on this occasion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541152/Speeding-van-driver-TEXTING-85mph-moments-smashed-horsebox-killed.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulysses777 wrote: »

Thanks for that and I'm glad the horses were not killed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically he ran a business called Adventure Safety Training according to the link.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,019
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Thanks for that and I'm glad the horses were not killed.

Me too.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sorry for his family. But not for him.

Texting at 80mph is not just a moment of thoughtlessness - it goes way, way beyond that.

Just thankful that no other poor bugger was killed or seriously injured.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for his family. But not for him.

Texting at 80mph is not just a moment of thoughtlessness - it goes way, way beyond that.

Just thankful that no other poor bugger was killed or seriously injured.

Looking at the section of road it happened on I think it was more than a moment. It's completely straight so to have not seen the horse box pulling in front of him he'd have had to have been looking down at his phone for length of time. That's also supported by the fact he was typing / sending a message so not just glancing at his phone.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT A MORON

pity these idiots don't just line up and jump off the nearest cliff!