Motd @ 50

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Anybody know if there are any plans to commemorate the best football show on tv
Seeing its 50 years since it started

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Yes, special documentary. They have remembered. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28673372
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the actual anniversary weekend it would be nice to see something like Des Lynam back presenting, Trevor Brooking back doing studio punditry and Barry Davies back in the commentary box, just as a one-off. Sadly doubt anything like that will happen.

ON the subject of BBC's coverage next season, I remember near the end of last season it was said Stan Collymore would be appearing on MOTD2 this season but don't recall seeing his name on the press release?
  • smurfs5smurfs5 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary usually has a few weeks off a season so instead of Dan Walker deputising, as much as I like him, they could get Lynam back for a one-off for the year that's in it. It's unlikely to happen though.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howard Webb is joining for the new season to interpret referees' decisions.Gary Lineker is presenting Saturday's show with pundits Alan Shearer and Ruud Gullit.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    I still love that old early 90's title sequence with the commentary clips "Lorimer.....Pick that one out"
    :D
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Article on MOTD@50 - there will probably be others appearing. http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/tv/match-of-the-day-at-50
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Have to say the titles are brilliant.

Really hope that wasn't a one off!
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masterstroke to show an old Goal Of The Season every week.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had nice end credits last night. Someone in black and white saying goodnight see you next week or something along those lines.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had nice end credits last night. Someone in black and white saying goodnight see you next week or something along those lines.

:o Someone in Black and White!

That was Kenneth Wolstenholme!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    :o Someone in Black and White!

That was Kenneth Wolstenholme!

Some people are on the pitch...they think it's all over....it is now:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When it first started did they show the Match of the Day and not much else, or similar to now where they show highlights of all matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    When it first started did they show the Match of the Day and not much else, or similar to now where they show highlights of all matches.

They did one game, and it was the game they sent the cameras and commentator to, so it could have been the worst game of the day, it was just pot luck.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

It's not until 2004 that highlights of all matches were shown. It's was the 90's until all goals were shown
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    They did one game, and it was the game they sent the cameras and commentator to, so it could have been the worst game of the day, it was just pot luck.
    Cheers :)

At what point did they start brancing out by having video reports or highlights of other matches.

They would have had reporters and commentators at most of the games for radio and print, plus reports for MOTD itself I presume.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    It's not until 2004 that highlights of all matches were shown. It's was the 90's until all goals were shown

Yes indeed, when they got it back in 1992. Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages, I prefer what we have now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_of_the_Day

Worth noting that in the early days they were lucky to have four cameras on a game, now it's about 12.

The BBC had its first slow motion replay machine in early 1967, not as stated.Because it was used on racing during the afternoon in Grandstand the commentators had to do their best to recall the goal action and the pictures were edited in later (Source: BBC VT web site)
  • jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the BBC have considered re-running Match of the 70s, 80 and 90s. Bring the series up to date with a new series of Match of the 00s, do maybe a one-off for Match of the 60s to make up for lack of footage, and there's a nice schedule filler for the next 6 months.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    jamiec21 wrote: »
    I wonder if the BBC have considered re-running Match of the 70s, 80 and 90s. Bring the series up to date with a new series of Match of the 00s, do maybe a one-off for Match of the 60s to make up for lack of footage, and there's a nice schedule filler for the next 6 months.

Used to love watching.the I lov 70s series followed by match.of 70s/80s that followed about turn of century. On.BBC2
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_of_the_Day

Worth noting that in the early days they were lucky to have four cameras on a game, now it's about 12.

The BBC had its first slow motion replay machine in early 1967, not as stated.Because it was used on racing during the afternoon in Grandstand the commentators had to do their best to recall the goal action and the pictures were edited in later (Source: BBC VT web site)
    If Wikipedia is wrong, fix it and cite that source.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Howard Webb is joining for the new season to interpret referees' decisions.Gary Lineker is presenting Saturday's show with pundits Alan Shearer and Ruud Gullit.
    Shame he wasn't there to discuss a couple of dodgy penalty decisions this week, especially the QPR one.
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Masterstroke to show an old Goal Of The Season every week.
    I always though that it was Ossie Ardelies or some other little South American who first did the backflick to volley but was nice to find that it was some bloke from Coventry years earlier :D
  • iceolaiceola Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does any one recall the following or have details
    The 1969/70 season when all local regions were allowed to show their own local derby matches,or take the second networked match.
    The details were not released until after 5pm ish on Grandstand
    Would like to get details of these local games and who presented the local matche's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    If Wikipedia is wrong, fix it and cite that source.

I have nothing to do with Wikipedia, my source was the BBC VT web site which is written by people who actually worked there so they should know.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iceola wrote: »
    Does any one recall the following or have details
    The 1969/70 season when all local regions were allowed to show their own local derby matches,or take the second networked match.
    The details were not released until after 5pm ish on Grandstand
    Would like to get details of these local games and who presented the local matche's

As ever, the ITV Regional Highlights website comes up with the goods with this attempt at piecing them together...
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/oddsends.html#BBC

And there's a site attempting to catalogue every episode of Match of the Day, with the 1969/70 line-ups here...
    https://sites.google.com/site/motdlistings/home/1969-70