Options

EE: what is happening with Phil and Shirley's affair?

wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Soap Squawk released the Phil and Shirley's affair storyline about a month ago. But what is exactly happening with Phil and Shirley? Phil and Sharon's wedding day is at the last week of September... It doesn't look like a proper affair to me if it lasts for a few weeks? And why would Phil cheat on Sharon just for a few weeks? And why would he want to marry Sharon after sleeping with Shirley?

Comments

• Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand this. Is he going to have a one night stand with her, or is this going to be an affair? When is it happening? Just before the wedding right? :confused::confused:

It doesn't really make a lot of sense sleeping with Shirley before the wedding, unless it's the night before and he comes to his senses the morning after? But if it lasts a week or two before the wedding, then why is he doing it? Gets cold feet, goes off with Shirley then goes back to Sharon before the wedding. I mean I don't even think Phil and Sharon will end up getting married.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    There is mixed messages over this. The articles made out that it was a full on affair but it appears that they may have over exaggerated what will be just a one night stand or a fling a week before the wedding. The 'insiders' have been foreshadowing Phil and Shirley all year but it seems this is nothing but a plot device, I don't see why they didn't just have him sleeping with Rainie if there was nothing more too it.. Phil obviously turns up for his wedding, so why risk that by having a fling with Shirley? I don't understand it. The insiders have called him a 'love cheat', said 'Sharon should be worried' and that 'the woman Phil should be with is Shirley' so I am completely confused. What is being said is completely
    different to what is happening on screen. Haha.

How many times are we going to see Phil dump Shirley? What is the writers preoccupation of making her look the fool so Phil can come out on top? I don't get it. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for your replies. Glad to hear I'm not the only one confused. The "insiders" are probably the editors of the articles and making up quotes.

Phil will definitely cheat on Sharon with Shirley but it sounds like it's more of a fling/one night stand. Maybe Phil and Shirley sleep together on the night before Sharon and Phil's wedding and Phil regrets it? I think Sharon finds out about Phil and Shirley and that's why she doesn't turn up to the wedding? Or maybe it's an affair but won't be a "full blown" affair like Ell Ren said.

I would be bored if it's the same old Phil and Shirley rubbish when Phil keeps dumping Shirley all the time.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizardt wrote: »
    Soap Squawk released the Phil and Shirley's affair storyline about a month ago. But what is exactly happening with Phil and Shirley? Phil and Sharon's wedding day is at the last week of September... It doesn't look like a proper affair to me if it lasts for a few weeks? And why would Phil cheat on Sharon just for a few weeks? And why would he want to marry Sharon after sleeping with Shirley?

This is the problem with EE ATM, the storylines are either rushed or dragged out! It's pathetic! Mick and ian and rainie has been in it every week for like 10 weeks and it's SO boring, it should of ended ages ago and it wouldn't be so boring! Lucy murder case is silly, she just upset a few people In her last week, and was only in it like 2 weeks before she died, and now were expected to believe everyone in Walford has a motive! Nick cotton storyline which is brilliant has had about 3 weeks of screen time since it started in march! I just think the summers been full of filler stuff (which is pathetic) and it sounds like we've got some good stuff coming up, they need to hurry up with the affair though!
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    It'll probably end up as just a kiss, same as when Sharon kissed Phil just before her wedding with Jack, something for old times sake. Whatever it is Sharon's bound to find out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys for your replies. Glad to hear I'm not the only one confused. The "insiders" are probably the editors of the articles and making up quotes.

Phil will definitely cheat on Sharon with Shirley but it sounds like it's more of a fling/one night stand. Maybe Phil and Shirley sleep together on the night before Sharon and Phil's wedding and Phil regrets it? I think sharon finds out about phil and Shirley and that's why she doesn't turn up to the wedding? Or maybe it's an affair but won't be a "full blown" affair like Ell Ren said.

I would be bored if it's the same old Phil and Shirley rubbish when Phil keeps dumping Shirley all the time.

Bib: Exactly, I thought that this 'affair' might be a bit different to watch but it seems to just be that they sleep together, Phil regrets it, decides to marry Sharon, Shirley turns up to stop it but he rejects her. It's always the same. I'm fed up of watching it. Phil either needs to reciprocate or they need to just stop doing it. It does no favours for Shirley when she is constantly rejected by Phil. Also, why did they release the spoiler so early?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Bib: Exactly, I thought that this 'affair' might be a bit different to watch but it seems to just be that they sleep together, Phil regrets it, decides to marry Sharon, Shirley turns up to stop it but he rejects her. It's always the same. I'm fed up of watching it. Phil either needs to reciprocate or they need to just stop doing it. It does no favours for Shirley when she is constantly rejected by Phil. Also, why did they release the spoiler so early?

I don't think it would be fair to use Shirley as a "plot device" just to give more drama for Phil and Sharon.. On the wedding day, Shirley and Phil are having an argument. But Ben is back soon so would Shirley sleep with him after finding out Ben's back? This is all confusing. Soap Squawk shouldn't have posted that spoiler last month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would be fair to use Shirley as a "plot device" just to give more drama for Phil and Sharon.. On the wedding day, Shirley and Phil are having an argument. But Ben is back soon so would Shirley sleep with him after finding out Ben's back? This is all confusing. Soap Squawk shouldn't have posted that spoiler last month.

I don't think it's fair either, surely they could have used Rainie or someone else instead for a plot device? They have been building Phil and Shirley up all year just for the same old rubbish? Also if it is just a plot device, what is the point? Surely Sharon's revenge on Phil at the wedding and Ben's return would have been enough without having to have Phil reject Shirley? I also wondered about how Ben would affect Phil/Shirley - it's all just very confusing.
    I would just hate for Phil to reject her and her end up drunk and bitter again. Sharon is getting her backbone/independence back (which is good) but I don't think it is cool to ruin other characters to enable this.
    I wonder if SS broke the embargo? The story said 'next month' and others said in the coming weeks but obviously they were all wrong!:confused:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Philth has come to his senses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    It'll probably end up as just a kiss, same as when Sharon kissed Phil just before her wedding with Jack, something for old times sake. Whatever it is Sharon's bound to find out.

I'm not going to lie, I wasn't really interested in the affair, but it must be a let down for many people. You're told there's an affair, and if it turns out to only be a kiss. And you know it's not know they've been building thinks up between Phil and Shirley, and for what? Or is it just going to be the same old thing year in year out for them?
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Why would he sleep with a desperate, lonely, bitter, gutter-dwelling, two bit lush ? I don't know. I just don't know. He could have his pick of any woman in east London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to lie, I wasn't really interested in the affair, but it must be a let down for many people. You're told there's an affair, and if it turns out to only be a kiss. And you know they've been building things up between Phil and Shirley all year, and for what? Or is it just going to be the same old thing year in year out for them?

Sorry must apologise for my dreadful grammar. I go back to rewrite bits, and then it makes no sense at all. Makes a bit more sense now. :blush:
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Any chance Shirley is actually working for Sharon? Could she even record it?
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is simply a plot device so that the Philth will still have someone to shag and treat like dirt if Sharon decides to dump him.

TPTB have bottled it - yet again.

Eastenders should be renamed the 'Church of the Potato Faced God' and have done with it.
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance Shirley is actually working for Sharon? Could she even record it?

Please no thanks 😷
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing it will be nearer the wedding
  • Options
    kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll provsnly be just before the wedding and because he knows Sharon doesn't love him and Shirley does. She's hardly doing a good job of acting normal!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member

Perfectly fair. Shirley is a truly vile person who has used and abused others all her life. It's karma; phil is as usual just using her.

But ofc Shirley's fans will still maintain it's still a great love story....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Filiman wrote: »
    Perfectly fair. Shirley is a truly vile person who has used and abused others all her life. It's karma; phil is as usual just using her.

But ofc Shirley's fans will still maintain it's still a great love story....

You mean as opposed to the Shirley 'haters' who will find any excuse to put the character down and maintain that there is no love between them even though it has been said by the actors and shown on screen numerous times? And even go as far as to try and pair Phil up with anyone but Shirley? Haha.
    Tbf I am a fan of Shirley but that doesn't mean that I think theirs is a 'great love story'.
    Imo there is love there, but it's a toxic relationship - summed up perfectly by Patrick and Kim last year 'they are the Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton of Walford, can't live with each other, can't love without each other.'
    It does no favours for Shirley as a character to be rejected by Phil and then end up bitter and in the gutter. They need to figure oout whether they want Phil with Sharon or Shirley or neither and stick with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please no thanks 😷

I meant could Sharon have paid Shirley to seduce Phil and record it so she has evidence after the wedding he's a cheat? The video doesn't need to be on screen (or maybe a red button special fir the pervs)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I have to wonder if Shirley would risk being in cahoots with Sharon, considering Phil knows about Mick?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    ^ I have to wonder if Shirley would risk being in cahoots with Sharon, considering Phil knows about Mick?

All Sharon would have to do to convince Shirl is show her a picture of Heather and that guy that died in the car with Shirley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant could Sharon have paid Shirley to seduce Phil and record it so she has evidence after the wedding he's a cheat? The video doesn't need to be on screen (or maybe a red button special fir the pervs)

Shirley hates Sharon. She's mooning after Phil so I think shed love to run to Phil and report what Sharon's doing.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley hates Sharon. She's mooning after Phil so I think shed love to run to Phil and report what Sharon's doing.

BIB: That's one way to get his attention! :o
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member

As much as I would love to see Sharon and Shirley working together, I just cannot see it happening. Shirley loves Phil and if she cottoned on to what Sharon has been up to, she would tell Phil the truth. Shirley would never work with someone she hates and she wouldn't want to mess with Phil because he could easily tell Mick the truth. Shirley is going to be the "other woman" but she will always forgive Phil and wants him back.

One thing for certain about Shirley is that she's very confident with Phil now. She tried to kiss him TWICE and she kept saying to Phil that he actually loves Shirley and that he doesn't love Sharon etc.. Shirley will be a very happy woman when she is screwing with Phil.