Options

Feel bad for the Friday contestants

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You have to admit last night Fridays dancers were completely buried by the judges scores.
On Friday the highest score was 7 but last night 8 and 9,s were thrown everywhere but my question is we're Fridays undermarked or were the ones who they knew would be good deliberately kept for Saturdays show?

Comments

• Options
    James_LavertyJames_Laverty Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely. If Greg and Nat had been on Saturday the'd have got straight 8's.
  • Options
    PhalarisPhalaris Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have sympathy for the Friday night performers - even though I thought quite a bit of that marking was too high for week 1.

I hope it will balance out next week when everyone dances at the same time.
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think had Rinder and Greg danced on Saturday they'd have probably scored alot higher
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    You have to admit last night Fridays dancers were completely buried by the judges scores.
    On Friday the highest score was 7 but last night 8 and 9,s were thrown everywhere but my question is we're Fridays undermarked or were the ones who they knew would be good deliberately kept for Saturdays show?

"The BBC move in mysterious ways."

No they don't, you sussed it out. If you think "ratings," it will become clear to others immediately.
    There's not a lot of competition on a Friday night on ITV. So the BBC could have expected reasonable ratings for a one hour show. This was as much " a promo" for those viewers not as interested in it, whose reaction might be, "is it on again?" So being aware of the Friday show, by possibly finding it "on," they might add extra numbers to the Saturday ratings.

They needed "the big guns" for Saturday night as they're up against the X-Factor.

Those appearing on Friday will have suffered as the judges didn't want to hand out some really good scores in case it left them no "wiggle room," for any better performances on Saturday.
  • Options
    Sarah_Jones5Sarah_Jones5 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The BBC move in mysterious ways."

No they don't, you sussed it out. If you think "ratings," it will become clear to others immediately.
    There's not a lot of competition on a Friday night on ITV. So the BBC could have expected reasonable ratings for a one hour show. This was as much " a promo" for those viewers not as interested in it, whose reaction might be, "is it on again?" So being aware of the Friday show, by possibly finding it "on," they might add extra numbers to the Saturday ratings.

They needed "the big guns" for Saturday night as they're up against the X-Factor.

Those appearing on Friday will have suffered as the judges didn't want to hand out some really good scores in case it left them no "wiggle room," for any better performances on Saturday.

Saturday shows also clash slightly with football on Sky Sports as the second half of late kick off games clash with Strictly generally last night it was Aston Villa Vs Newcastle.
  • Options
    Sarah_Jones5Sarah_Jones5 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There also was football on Friday though as well forgot.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I don't think the BBC take much notice of Sky Sports, they certainly wouldn't move their schedules around because of a football match on Sky.

They see their main competition, as it is, ITV.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I did feel sorry for them but feel Greg was overmarked anyway. Judge Rinder shouldn't have been bottom half of the leaderboard though!
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're seen to be overmarked you lose public support, just as being seen to be undermarked by the judges can make them very popular. Maybe we should feel more sorry for the ones being overmarked! :D
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    I did feel sorry for them but feel Greg was overmarked anyway. Judge Rinder shouldn't have been bottom half of the leaderboard though!

I know I'm very much in the minority but I completely disagree about Judge Rinder!
    Yes he was entertaining I guess but much of what he was doing was just 'performing' & pulling silly faces rather than trying to execute a proper dance routine, imo at least, for what it's worth!!
    I thought he was marked fairly & certainly didn't deserve higher scores!!
    Tameka & Anastacia were both very much overmarked to me however!!
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    the better dances are always on Saturday so I don't see why sympathy should be given to Fridays couples
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    It'll all even out next week. It always does.
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth noting that Kellie and Kevin, Helen and Aljaz and Anita and Gleb were all in the 1/4 finals so half the 1/4 finalists were from The week 1 Friday show (which is good showing considering there are loads more dancers on Saturday)

However only K&K made the final so only 1/4 of the finalists came from the Friday show.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    the better dances are always on Saturday so I don't see why sympathy should be given to Fridays couples

Caroline danced on Friday two years ago (getting a 6 from Craig for her CCC, lol) and all the finalists except Abbey danced on Friday three years ago (and only Abbey did better then their scores).
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Saturday's performances were just much better, mostly because that's where they put all the ringers.
  • Options
    Sandy_AndrewsSandy_Andrews Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    No, Saturday's performances were just much better, mostly because that's where they put all the ringers.

Spot on as ever !
  • Options
    chachaclochachaclo Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I think maybe the Friday lot suffer more from nerves? It might be a bit easier on the Saturday as even if you've not danced before you've at least got more 'used to' the show? The Friday lot did seem a bit more nervous to me, but that could just be me!
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »

True, plus the odd "fascinating" person, like Ed Balls.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um, I think Laura may have possibly got higher if she had been seen in the second day rather than the first, but I think overall the better dancers were on the second day so most of the scores were right (or there about).

Danny, Louise, Daisy and Will only really stood out for me, but then obv Ore, Laura, Claudia and Naga also showed some varying degrees of potential as well. I thought Robert and Greg's dances were entertaining, but I felt it was all a bit messy and frantic to make an solid opinion. They had gusto (as Bruno said for one) but, yeah, not sure. I hope Greg gets better, as I want Natalie to at least get half way this year if not further.
  • Options
    Lou_BlackLou_Black Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm very much in the minority but I completely disagree about Judge Rinder!
    Yes he was entertaining I guess but much of what he was doing was just 'performing' & pulling silly faces rather than trying to execute a proper dance routine, imo at least, for what it's worth!!
    I thought he was marked fairly & certainly didn't deserve higher scores!!
    Tameka & Anastacia were both very much overmarked to me however!!

I agree with all of this. I feel I'm in the grumpy corner by saying I didn't particularly enjoy Judge Rinder's performance but I didn't. And yes, Tameka and Anastacia were overmarked - particularly Anastacia. She's a lovely person but that dance was in no way worth those marks.