Three DC-HSPA typical speeds

Comments

• 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPad 4th Generation, Derby:

8.63 down, 2.50 up. Ping time of 62ms on the XILO server, Sheffield.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    As a comparison, same location, same time:
    4.09 down 1.06 up, Nexus 4 on T-Mobile with H showing.

Is that on the full monty? Do you ever see any faster than 4mbps?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Is that on the full monty? Do you ever see any faster than 4mbps?

Yes, Full Monty 30 day rolling. I've seen 4.6/4.7 down, but not more than that. I've only moved to the Nexus 4 in the last couple of months so results before that were probably down to a slow phone as much as anything (HTC ChaCha).
    Forum Member
    Yes, Full Monty 30 day rolling. I've seen 4.6/4.7 down, but not more than that. I've only moved to the Nexus 4 in the last couple of months so results before that were probably down to a slow phone as much as anything (HTC ChaCha).

I really don't understand the speed cap. They say it's so everyone get's an equal share of the network which may be true but then why don't they do it on all plans. Besides, even at 4mbps constant use that's still 1.2TB you could theoretically use in a month.....
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand the speed cap. They say it's so everyone get's an equal share of the network which may be true but then why don't they do it on all plans. Besides, even at 4mbps constant use that's still 1.2TB you could theoretically use in a month.....

No do I! I was out with friends on Friday night and one of them had Samsung Galaxy S III (I guess this set is DC-HSPA enabled) and had a quick speed test and it was something like 2.1 down

I don't know whether it was the phone or the 3 network but clearly 2.1 down is really poor speed.

I wonder if it has anything do with Three networks' fair use policy. I was considering this phone and the 3 network before Friday but I am not sure now.

Big and long commitment for measly 2.1 down :D

PS: When did Three start imposing fair usage policy?
    Forum Member
    No do I! I was out with friends on Friday night and one of them had Samsung Galaxy S III (I guess this set is DC-HSPA enabled) and had a quick speed test and it was something like 2.1 down

I don't know whether it was the phone or the 3 network but clearly 2.1 down is really poor speed.

I wonder if it has anything do with Three networks' fair use policy. I was considering this phone and the 3 network before Friday but I am not sure now.

Big and long commitment for measly 2.1 down :D

PS: When did Three start imposing fair usage policy?

Should make it clear that i was talking about T-Mobile not Three. T-Mobile don't have a fair use policy but they do have a speed cap of 4mbps and they don't allow tethering.

Three on the other hand do not have a speed cap or fair use policy and do allow tethering. 2mbps down is quite poor to be honest but obviously speeds are location and time dependant so there could have been maintenance or congestion on the mast. I had maintenance on my mast last week and my speeds dropped from a solid 15mbps+ to under 5mbps max.

Also Three won't charge for 4G so unlimited 3G/4G at no extra cost is a great proposition in my opinion. I'd get a pay as you go sim first though just to check if you get coverage in the places you visit/stay.

Oh and the S3 is not a DC-HSPA+ device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should make it clear that i was talking about T-Mobile not Three. T-Mobile don't have a fair use policy but they do have a speed cap of 4mbps and they don't allow tethering.

Three on the other hand do not have a speed cap or fair use policy and do allow tethering. 2mbps down is quite poor to be honest but obviously speeds are location and time dependant so there could have been maintenance or congestion on the mast. I had maintenance on my mast last week and my speeds dropped from a solid 15mbps+ to under 5mbps max.

Also Three won't charge for 4G so unlimited 3G/4G at no extra cost is a great proposition in my opinion. I'd get a pay as you go sim first though just to check if you get coverage in the places you visit/stay.

Oh and the S3 is not a DC-HSPA+ device.

I didn't know S3 is not a DC-HSPA+ device. Maybe that's why my friend couldn't get good speed on three then.

What is the maximum speed S3 can support up to?

In regards to your comment about Three not imposing fair use policy, because I had a chance to play with my friend's S3 and like the size, if not the speed, I checked some sites for best deals on S3 and CPW has the following deal;

Samsung Galaxy S III on Three Ultimate Internet £25

500 minutes Anytime Any network
    5000 texts
    Unlimited* MB Data

*Subject fair use policy

I don't know if we are allowed to give links here, in case we are not, I am not posting the link but if you check their website you can clearly see that Carphone Warehose clearly sell/market Three network's Unlimited data package with fair use policy.
  • coolmp3coolmp3 Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I didn't know S3 is not a DC-HSPA+ device. Maybe that's why my friend couldn't get good speed on three then.

In regards to your comment about Three not imposing fair use policy, because I had a chance to play with my friend's S3 and like the size, if not the speed, I checked some sites for best deals on S3 and CPW has the following deal;

5000 texts
    Unlimited* MB Data

*Subject fair use policy

I don't know if we are allowed to give links here, in case we are not, I am not posting the link but if you check their website you can clearly see that Carphone Warehose clearly sell/market Three network's Unlimited data package with fair use policy.

The standard S3 supports only upto 21mbps, the S3 LTE version also know on three as the ultrafast version is DC-HSDPA compatible upto 42mbps
    Forum Member

5000 texts
    Unlimited* MB Data

*Subject fair use policy

That's carphone warehouse. They're a third party so have to have the * next to unlimited. For example Vodafone market completely unlimited mins and texts with no fair use policy now. But carphone warehouse still have the * next to their tariffs. Have a look at the other networks tariffs and you'll see everytime the unlimited moniker is mentioned there is a * next to it. Even if it's truly unlimited.

Three don't have a fair use policy on their all you can eat data. The only thing they do is block tethering on ultimate plans. On the one plan you can tether though.

Tbh you're still going to see good speeds on a non DC-HSPA+ device. I think it's congestion where you where on friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolmp3 wrote: »
    The standard S3 supports only upto 21mbps, the S3 LTE version also know on three as the ultrafast version is DC-HSDPA compatible upto 42mbps

Thanks for confirming.
    That's carphone warehouse. They're a third party so have to have the * next to unlimited. For example Vodafone market completely unlimited mins and texts with no fair use policy now. But carphone warehouse still have the * next to their tariffs. Have a look at the other networks tariffs and you'll see everytime the unlimited moniker is mentioned there is a * next to it. Even if it's truly unlimited.

Three don't have a fair use policy on their all you can eat data. The only thing they do is block tethering on ultimate plans. On the one plan you can tether though.

Tbh you're still going to see good speeds on a non DC-HSPA+ device. I think it's congestion where you where on friday.

I guess, even if the phone is purchased from CPW, it is still truly unlimited on Three network?

You are right in saying earlier that the best thing is to get a pay as you go sim first just to check if I can get coverage in the places where I live & work.

Can you confirm if One Plan sim only, rolling monthly contract, allows tethering?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for confirming.

I guess, even if the phone is purchased from CPW, it is still truly unlimited on Three network?

You are right in saying earlier that the best thing is to get a pay as you go sim first just to check if I can get coverage in the places where I live & work.

Can you confirm if One Plan sim only, rolling monthly contract, allows tethering?

Yeh it should be if they're selling the ultimate 500 plan. So it would be unlimited with no fair use policy. Not entirely sure why CPW put the * symbol for every network but i guess they have to.

Yeh you can tether on the one plan 1 month/24 month option.
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to get around 2.4/2.5 down in Lincolnshire in a DC-HSPA Ultrafast area.....though it has been as high as 6.9 before. Good enough for what I need it for...but not quite ULTRA fast lol
  • LadFromWales85LadFromWales85 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Bangor, Gwynedd, Three Payg Nexus 4
    405857057.png

405856024.png
    Little while later on Menai Bridge, AngleseyTest

405877880.png

In both areas the network type showed as 21.6 in Network Info app. Not seen it mention DC-HSPA yet though some of Bangor is enabled according to checker.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I think we finally have DC in Totnes. Never ever got more than 6Mb before. got 15.6 tonight. This mast going to be fairly heavily used though so difficult to tell.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    DC gone live now in Plymouth. Still interested in people's speeds on DC devices as I am not on Three (yet).
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you left Orange / EE then Plymouth? all Orange staff get free phones and airtime + a 30% friends and family discount right?
    Forum Member
    No. Normal retail price minus 50%. Like I say - yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Ran a test near Westminster Tube station yesterday

http://db.tt/mA46sywk

And today at Paddington station

http://db.tt/MdlsVjQp
  • LadFromWales85LadFromWales85 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Wow the iPhone version is pretty compared to the Android build!

I wish Three would sort the congestion issues in Menai Bridge (above), I've seen faster speedtests on edge! Results on T-Mobile are very similar so likely a MBNL mast supplies this area.
    Forum Member
    It appears that DL is very good. However UL is lacking.

This is where LTE comes into its own.
    Forum Member
    It appears that DL is very good. However UL is lacking.

This is where LTE comes into its own.

Also i think the ping is quite impressive. Under 80ms most of the time and under 50ms in some case. Very similar to 4G or even some fixed line connections.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

5000 texts
    Unlimited* MB Data

*Subject fair use policy

If you don't use Quidco then I suggest that you start! It's has nearly every company you can think of on it giving out cash back due to deals they have struck. You will find a very high cash back rate (£80-£100) on some handsets just for ordering via them. I've been using it for ages now and made loads!
  • FmBandScanFmBandScan Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was taken just now, I guess I am not in a DC HSPA area??
    http://oi48.tinypic.com/2qu3m7k.jpg
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just got 19.41 in the middle of nowhere on a train between sleaford lincs and heckington on pay&go using an Xperia T

http://db.tt/RHLghg5S