All Together Now: The Great Orchestra Challenge

harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's quite an excellent programme. Watching amateur, part-time musicians pull together as orchestras is absorbing viewing.

Please, if there is some thread about this programme from weeks ago buried 20 pages down, don't post a link to it.

Comments

• harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbarians.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was aware of this I just hadn't got around to watching it. And I do like classical music anyway. :D

Saw the first episode, seems a well done program. Just not happy with the decision though,
    I thought the orchestra that did March to the Scaffold should have gone. Technically they may have been the worst but the performance also seemed quite stiff to me. And the orchestra eliminated seemed to have more character than the judge gave them credit for.

Maybe just having one judge decide makes for less drama than was possible.

But competitive reality tv on skilled pursuits can be good, and this proved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ep2, I wonder if they needed to work with the same singer for longer - that have two different singers at an interval. The second one just half an hour. Also maybe a better singer can inspire better playing and I liked some of them more than others really, did that affect things including the elimination? I may have liked the earlier student singer for the Devon orchestra more than the later one they had.

Result
    While I wanted The People's Orchestra out first round they were better here for me yet went out. This time I didn't feel that much from the Devon one, tricky piece though. And the Gay Orchestra didn't overflow with emotion for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ep3 - probably best, with soloist and even concert location being a choice.

result
    Thought North Devon were in trouble, first part of the piece sounded weak, got better when livened up. Maybe because they had a more difficult piece they got more leeway, but is that right? The oboe soloist was unlucky.