Dating advice required!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
Forum Member
OK, I’m going to launch straight into this as there’s no other way to do it really!

I’m in love. Absolutely head-over-heels, heartbeat-skipping, weak-at-the-kneels in love, with a girl in my economics class at University. Quite what such a person of outstanding natural beauty is doing taking economics I have no idea, but thankfully for me (if not my grades), she is.

“Great, what’s the problem, why not ask her out?” you may ask. Well, I’m afraid there are rather a few hurdles I need you lovely people to help me over.

Firstly, we’ve been in the same class since October, and I’m not sure she even knows I exist. My face may seem familiar to her, but that’s probably about as far as the connection goes. We’ve never chatted, or sat together for any length of time. The only link I have to her, and it’s quite a tenuous one, is a friend I made recently is quite friendly with her best friend.

Secondly, she is stunningly attractive. And we are talking top-of-the-table Premier League attractive. Whilst I wouldn’t consider myself a human eyesore by any means, to use the football analogy again, compared to her I’m fighting a relegation battle in the Championship. (For those less football inclined, put simply, she’s a 10/10, I’m about a 7). Quite how much of an impact this has on the (already minute) chance of me progressing anywhere depends on her degree of shallowness, and her eyesight.

Time could also be running out. I know she is planning on doing a year-long work placement next year as she was at a meeting at the stsrt of the year (I was going to do one, but elected not to). So that means I have around 2 months(!) before we break up for study/assessment leave.

There is also no getting away from the fact I am painfully shy. Whilst (without wanting to sound like I’m blowing my own trumpet) I think I have a good personality and a decent sense of humour, I find it quite hard to get this across when meeting people for the first time. I’m a bit of a slow burner in that sense, as I will gradually come out of my shell. Unfortunately, this means I can’t simply sidle up to her, with a glint in my eye and turn on the charm like 007.

The shyness has, perhaps unsurprisingly, left me vastly inexperienced with the fairer sex considering my age (19, 20 this year). I dated a girl in college (3 years ago) for around 2 months, but we never got beyond kissing (á la the French), so from that I’m fairly sure you’ve established my ‘V’ plates are still firmly attached. To make matters worse, I’ve never asked anyone out, the girl at college did that for me, which was nice at the time, but hasn’t done me many favours in the long run. Just thinking about approaching this girl is making me nervous right now!

So, where do I go from here? I am absolutely crazy about this girl, and can’t stop thinking about her (not in a stalker-ish way, more of a wistful daydream). The whole ‘being single and a virgin’ is also getting me down, which is not helping my confidence with the situation!

Please help me DS, and if you/I/we pull it off, I’ll buy you a hat/suit for the wedding!

Comments

• whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an easy one, ask her out. If she says no then at least you'll know where you stand and won't be pondering the what ifs forever more, and of course, there is a chance she may say yes.

Edit: Just read paddy's post below, yes, it's highly unlikely it is 'love' when you don't know her.make sure she is single first....and build some sort of rapport with her...and then, providing those two things go well, ask her out...!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've never spoken to her, or been in her company outside of school. How do you know she isn't some nutcase or has a very unattractive personality. You don't know her so you can't really say you are in love with her, rather that you are lusting after her, which is a different thing. These sort of things are unhealthy and rarely any good comes from them. If you like her, just go over to her and say hello. It's scary but the longer you leave it the scarier and harder it's going to be to do. Sit beside her at lunchtime, ask her for a loan of a pen or something. Try and arrange some social gathering through your friend who is friends with her friend and use that to be in her company outside of clas. If there's alcohol on the go it might help with the confidence a bit, but don't get bladdered and then slobber all over her and scare her off. And also make sure she's single. Don't want some other guy coming over and arguing with you for chatting up his girlfriend! Good luck!
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a non-starter to be honest. Either find the courage to ask her out or move onto someone who is less of a "prize" and more someone you actually know and like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The only link I have to her, and it’s quite a tenuous one, is a friend I made recently is quite friendly with her best friend."

There's your answer. Get your friend to arrange with her mate for all four of you to go for a drink and see what happens. Its a way of sussing things out without being too blindingly obvious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Lust, darling, not love. Lust.

Even loving someone from afar you have to actually know them for it to be love. It can't be love without pain and you can't have pain without experiencing rejection. To experience that you would have to know them.

Also, are you a minger or do you have potential, as that will also affect the way you have to approach her?
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lust, darling, not love. Lust.

Even loving someone from afar you have to actually know them for it to be love. It can't be love without pain and you can't have pain without experiencing rejection. To experience that you would have to know them.

Also, are you a minger or do you have potential, as that will also affect the way you have to approach her?

he said he was a 7 out of 10 whilst she is apparently a 10
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever you do, don't talk to her like she's a prize. Nothing a 10/10 girl hates more than a guy telling her who she's just too good to be true. They get it all the time and it gets boring quickly.

If you think she's a 10/10, then you must think you are an 11/10. If you go along thinking you are not good enough for her, she'll probably end up thinking the same thing, too.

As an example, don't say tihngs like this;
    Quite what such a person of outstanding natural beauty is doing taking economics I have no idea, but thankfully for me (if not my grades), she is.

First, she'll roll her eyes at yet another pointless compliment about her looks. Then she'll be offended that you think she should get by on her beauty and not be interested in furthering her education and future career. It makes you sound like you think she's eye candy and shouldn't be intelligent or thoughtful. Instant turn-off for a girl.

Can't you just find out what local pub she tends to go to (come on, they're at uni. She must go to the pub!) and try and meet her on a social level? Or heck, just sit next to her in class and ask her some economics questions.

You say she doesn't even know you exist. That's because you don't talk to her! Go talk to her!
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don’t know her. Step one might be to get to know her rather than ask her out without ever having spoken to her. Nothing a beautiful but intelligent woman finds more annoying more than some pest claiming to adore her without even knowing a thing about who they are. As you have friends in common you should be able to bump into her at a party, pub or club or through friends and make a friendly overture as you are obviously on the same course. I can't see the big problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    All marvellous advice, which is sadly now redundant, as I've just found out she has a boyfriend. :(

It was to be expected I guess, as girls like that aren't likely to stay single for too long. Obviously wasn't meant to be, but I might still try and befriend her now the pressure is off, at least it will get me used to talking to attractive girls. :)

Right, now to listen to some feel good songs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I feel sorry for her best friend. You give her a quick mention only because of her connection to Miss 10/10, as I bet all guys do, but maybe there's something about her that you don't see because you're blinded by her hot friend? Maybe she too is a 7/10 and staring sideways at you, hoping you'll notice her.

I'm going to stop watching romantic comedies one of these days, I swear.
    Forum Member
    pookabear wrote: »
    Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I feel sorry for her best friend. You give her a quick mention only because of her connection to Miss 10/10, as I bet all guys do, but maybe there's something about her that you don't see because you're blinded by her hot friend? Maybe she too is a 7/10 and staring sideways at you, hoping you'll notice her.

I'm going to stop watching romantic comedies one of these days, I swear.

Loving your train of thought there, but I'm fairly sure she's not doing too bad for herself. :)

I guess you never know who's staring sideways at you, one of the great mysteries of life (well, of my life anyway).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I’m going to launch straight into this as there’s no other way to do it really!

I’m in love. Absolutely head-over-heels, heartbeat-skipping, weak-at-the-kneels in love, with a girl in my economics class at University. Quite what such a person of outstanding natural beauty is doing taking economics I have no idea, but thankfully for me (if not my grades), she is.

“Great, what’s the problem, why not ask her out?” you may ask. Well, I’m afraid there are rather a few hurdles I need you lovely people to help me over.

Firstly, we’ve been in the same class since October, and I’m not sure she even knows I exist. My face may seem familiar to her, but that’s probably about as far as the connection goes. We’ve never chatted, or sat together for any length of time. The only link I have to her, and it’s quite a tenuous one, is a friend I made recently is quite friendly with her best friend.

Secondly, she is stunningly attractive. And we are talking top-of-the-table Premier League attractive. Whilst I wouldn’t consider myself a human eyesore by any means, to use the football analogy again, compared to her I’m fighting a relegation battle in the Championship. (For those less football inclined, put simply, she’s a 10/10, I’m about a 7). Quite how much of an impact this has on the (already minute) chance of me progressing anywhere depends on her degree of shallowness, and her eyesight.

Time could also be running out. I know she is planning on doing a year-long work placement next year as she was at a meeting at the stsrt of the year (I was going to do one, but elected not to). So that means I have around 2 months(!) before we break up for study/assessment leave.

There is also no getting away from the fact I am painfully shy. Whilst (without wanting to sound like I’m blowing my own trumpet) I think I have a good personality and a decent sense of humour, I find it quite hard to get this across when meeting people for the first time. I’m a bit of a slow burner in that sense, as I will gradually come out of my shell. Unfortunately, this means I can’t simply sidle up to her, with a glint in my eye and turn on the charm like 007.

The shyness has, perhaps unsurprisingly, left me vastly inexperienced with the fairer sex considering my age (19, 20 this year). I dated a girl in college (3 years ago) for around 2 months, but we never got beyond kissing (á la the French), so from that I’m fairly sure you’ve established my ‘V’ plates are still firmly attached. To make matters worse, I’ve never asked anyone out, the girl at college did that for me, which was nice at the time, but hasn’t done me many favours in the long run. Just thinking about approaching this girl is making me nervous right now!

So, where do I go from here? I am absolutely crazy about this girl, and can’t stop thinking about her (not in a stalker-ish way, more of a wistful daydream). The whole ‘being single and a virgin’ is also getting me down, which is not helping my confidence with the situation!

Please help me DS, and if you/I/we pull it off, I’ll buy you a hat/suit for the wedding!

I know this is all done with OP and I am sympathetic, but I hope you see the hypocrisy in hoping that she's not so shallow she'd judge you on your looks, when you have gushed in this post about how beautiful she is and made no mention of her personality whatsoever!
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I know this is all done with OP and I am sympathetic, but I hope you see the hypocrisy in hoping that she's not so shallow she'd judge you on your looks, when you have gushed in this post about how beautiful she is and made no mention of her personality whatsoever!

I know, I know. I never seem to come across particularly well whenever I write anything on DS.

I do genuinely consider people as a person rather than a face, and although I don't know she is a lovely person, simply from casual observation she just seems nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, I know. I never seem to come across particularly well whenever I write anything on DS.

I do genuinely consider people as a person rather than a face, and although I don't know she is a lovely person, simply from casual observation she just seems nice.

Fair enough - I feel bad now:o It is refreshing to read a post from a male who will actually admit to romantic feelings, and it's rare that you hear 'she's beautiful', it's usually 'she's sexy/fit/hot'. I'm sorry that I picked at you.

Anyway I think you have the right idea about how to progress. Work on becoming her friend and you will either pick up on some flaws that make your infatuation ease off, or you are there on the spot if her existing relationship doesn't work out:D
  • mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to back up what Helbore said. Gorgeous women take no notice of compliments about how beautiful they are. They get it all the time and it means nothing. The next time you want a stunning fellow student, compliment her on her brains or her work. Not her looks. She will be unused to that because the vast majority of men will take one look at her and forget she has a brain. Talk to her like she's a person and not a trophy.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask her out. Better to have tried and failed than to have sat on the subs bench contemplating where your life went wrong ;)

I loved a mixed-simile :D
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Fair enough - I feel bad now:o It is refreshing to read a post from a male who will actually admit to romantic feelings, and it's rare that you hear 'she's beautiful', it's usually 'she's sexy/fit/hot'. I'm sorry that I picked at you.

Anyway I think you have the right idea about how to progress. Work on becoming her friend and you will either pick up on some flaws that make your infatuation ease off, or you are there on the spot if her existing relationship doesn't work out:D

Don't worry, I didn't take it personally!

See, now you say I'll admit to romantic feelings, and whilst on the anonymous world of DS I will, in the real world, I find it impossible to tell someone I like them. :o
    Just wanted to back up what Helbore said. Gorgeous women take no notice of compliments about how beautiful they are. They get it all the time and it means nothing. The next time you want a stunning fellow student, compliment her on her brains or her work. Not her looks. She will be unused to that because the vast majority of men will take one look at her and forget she has a brain. Talk to her like she's a person and not a trophy.

I don't think I'd go for an obvious complement on looks anyway. As I said, I don't think I can pull off the James Bond smooth approach!

We'll have to see how things pan out, but I'm guessing I'll be chalking up another 'too scared to do anything' experience.