complicated awkward attraction (age gap!!)

OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My head is in a total spin at the moment due this situation that ive found self in. To sum up, a girl (now aged 17) ive known for most of my teens and adult life has made it obvious that she is very attracted to me yet I am unsure to react to her feelings towards me.

We met almost 6 yrs ago and in the last few yrs she started to develop what appeared to be school girl crush on me which I ignored as she was quite young (I thought she would move on in time etc). It became obvious that she her feelings hadn't faded over the years but I still assumed that she would get over it.

I usually wouldn't mind the attention but there is a age gap as Im in my early 20's. To add to the complexity she is a 'step' cousin in a sense so it's hard to see a way around it all i.e I know the girl's mother very well as she's married to my uncle.

It all came to a head this christmas at a family get together. After a few drinks we ended up by ourselves for a while just talking and the girl tried to passionately kiss me but I didn't kiss her back and pulled away.

I dont have a clue how to deal with this situation without upsetting the girl (who is genuinely a lovely girl with a great personality).

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a problem.

You are neither related or under the age of consent.

The problem is in your mind only.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,856
    Forum Member
    What is the age gap OP, how old are you?
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    What is the age gap OP, how old are you?

22 as you asked. I'm probably making a fuss out of nothing ;)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the OP is in his early 20s (say 24 at most) and the girl is 17 then the biggest age gap it could be is 7 years, no big deal.

I met my OH when he was 32 and I was 19 and we are still together after 24 years.

Edit: OP has replied and said 22 so even less of a gap than I was thinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you attracted to her? Is it the age gap or the family connection that worries you?
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't much of an age gap there and no blood relations so the only thing to stop a relationship is your own feelings about her.

I am guessing here that you just aren't into her that way and why looking for excuses?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if you find her attractive her do it, if you don`t, let her down gently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you attracted to her? Is it the age gap or the family connection that worries you?

It's difficult to explain but there is certain connection we have but I wouldn't act on it even if she would like me to. I suppose its a combination of having to explain it to the family (who are quite traditional) and not being seen as taking advantage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's difficult to explain but there is certain connection we have but I wouldn't act on it even if she would like me to. I suppose its a combination of having to explain it to the family (who are quite traditional) and not being seen as taking advantage.

Then you are going to have to let her down gently. If necessary you will have to tell her a little white lie and say that you see her as a little sister who you are very fond of not a girlfriend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you are going to have to let her down gently. If necessary you will have to tell her a little white lie and say that you see her as a little sister who you are very fond of not a girlfriend.

Thats the problem - given another chance I would act on the attraction but I don't know how it would all turn out :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seems we had the same idea! Mine was less musical than yours.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Seems we had the same idea! Mine was less musical than yours.

we did.
    there`s a song for every problem innit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then what answer would you like. Fairly pointless in asking for advice then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Then what answer would you like. Fairly pointless in asking for advice then.

Well it's more the case that I could act but I think shouldn't because of the ramifications if it all goes wrong. I guess..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's more the case that I could act but I think shouldn't because of the ramifications if it all goes wrong. I guess..

I've no advice to give apart from my first response.

What are the likely ramifications apart from what's in your head. Are you likely to be murdered by the family:confused:

Why is attempting to give advice so blo**y difficult when you get such a sketchy story.:confused::confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no advice to give apart from my first response.

What are the likely ramifications apart from what's in your head. Are you likely to be murdered by the family:confused:

No ;)

But then I don't know they would react, they could freak causing a sh#tstorm or it might ruin the friendship I have with the girl.
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Mmm. Age is a weird one.

I'm 23, and the girl I'm seeing is 19. Now this hasn't been a problem until I came home this xmas and bumped into my little cousin (as she is, in my mind), at 18! And suddenly it seemed a big age gap.

I don't think it really is a big deal, we're both legal, it just threw me as I hadn't clocked the difference as shes pretty mature.

I say go for it. :) If you really like her, it could be the making of something good, and generally things can be solved if they go wrong anyway :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ;)

But then I don't know they would react, they could freak causing a sh#tstorm or it might ruin the friendship I have with the girl.

My best advice would be. Ask some of your most friendly family members, in a casual way, how they would feel.

Good luck anyway.

I had a relationship with a cousin, many years ago, it didn't work out, but I understand how you feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My best advice would be. Ask some of your most friendly family members, in a casual way, how they would feel.

Good luck anyway.

I had a relationship with a cousin, many years ago, it didn't work out, but I understand how you feel.

Yeah funny one there ;)

il see how it goes.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand you being worried should it go wrong.

If you really felt the same way about her you would find it too hard to resist, the fact you sound as if you aren't struggling, maybe while you find her attractive, that chemistry isn't there. If you can't resist go for it, if you can then maybe best to leave well alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah funny one there ;)

il see how it goes.

I was being serious:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    I can understand you being worried should it go wrong.

If you really felt the same way about her you would find it too hard to resist, the fact you sound as if you aren't struggling, maybe while you find her attractive, that chemistry isn't there. If you can't resist go for it, if you can then maybe best to leave well alone.

Yeah thats exact kind of thing the messing with my head at the moment - not exactly sure how to play this one :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what the big deal is here. You either like her or you don't and that should be your only reason for either responding to her or not responding. If you are only 22 and she is 17 then there is no issue regarding an 'age gap' only the one in your head.

A friend of mine started dating a 17 year old when he was 32. Okay, that was a bit iffy but it didn't stop him and they lasted nearly five years.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah thats exact kind of thing the messing with my head at the moment - not exactly sure how to play this one :o
    It kinda sounds like you like her but don't fancy her - but that may be just how you've explained it on here...

I certainly wouldn't have gone out with a school-kid when I was 22.