Cant hear names?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there a condition whereby you cant hear peoples names?

Its very odd theres a girl in work and everytime she is told a name it gets completely garbled in her mind,

example hi its tim ross calling : tony russell is it?

That was a mild one sometimes they go right off and bear no similarity to the original name,its very strange because it seems to only happen with names shes not hard of hearing or anything.

unfortunately it is her job to take phone messages and we have no idea who is ringing half the time, her accent is thick and when she repeats names back to people i think they just agree with her because they don't understand her, any ideas on how to help her?

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a slap :D i jest of course
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell her to pay attention. It is a key component of her job and she isn't doing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I am really bad with names. Someone tells me their name and I almost instantly forget it. It's bizarre because I generally have a great memory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's similar to what I am, never had it diagnosed but I've had it since a child, learned coping mechanisms and hidden it. Names just slip away from me like quicksilver, I've even been an actor for a while I could learn pages of script easily when it came to names it would take me much longer to get them into my head.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Easiest way is to just get her to say 'can you spell your surname for me please' - if she writes it down as they say it you'll be in with a fighting chance of getting at least half the name right.

I do it all the time, awful with names, and yes, you'll occasionally get a slightly confused person spelling Smith for you :o but it cuts out a lot of mistakes in the long run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can be like this with telephone numbers. Someone tells me a phone number and I quite often write it down wrong, inadvertently swapping digits around. I really have to concentrate and ask for them to repeat the number to make double sure I've done it right. Very odd really as its the only time I ever have these type of issues.
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffer from remembering peoples names, I met a girl once she told me her name, see her again a few weeks later and forgot it, I knew it began with M so went through every name that began with M with no luck so had to ask her again, she said it's Emma
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the OP is just having a moan about the girl he works with because she's rubbish at taking his messages. Sack her and employ someone who can do the job.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No condition I've ever heard of. I'd suggest that the colleague asks people to spell out names they're uncertain of. Would a headset help? A quieter desk? Probably a good idea to check that she's not distracted by colleagues or noises around her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I do this a lot, I think I'm just a ditzy person who doesn't really give a crap about her job. My view is, if you want to speak to someone, call back when they are there.
  • Annie1fortennisAnnie1fortennis Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem. Its especially hard when in a new job with all the different names of staff and clients. I always write down the message and have to ask for their name twice. Suggest to her to always have a pad to write down names and numbers.
  • Annie1fortennisAnnie1fortennis Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thought. You say she has a thick accent? Perhaps she cannot pick out the names because she is not used to THEIR accents! She can hear the other words because of the clues in the sentence but names are difficult because you only have the sounds to work out what is being said.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be that they mumble their name......an awful lot of people do these days......oh and they gabble their mobile phone number ten to the dozen:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was like that when I could hear:

THEM :Hi I'm Tom
    ME: Hi John
    THEM: No Tom
    ME: Tim?
    THEM: Tom!
    ME: Bob?

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a condition whereby you cant hear peoples names?

Its very odd theres a girl in work and everytime she is told a name it gets completely garbled in her mind,

example hi its tim ross calling : tony russell is it?

That was a mild one sometimes they go right off and bear no similarity to the original name,its very strange because it seems to only happen with names shes not hard of hearing or anything.

unfortunately it is her job to take phone messages and we have no idea who is ringing half the time, her accent is thick and when she repeats names back to people i think they just agree with her because they don't understand her, any ideas on how to help her?

If that is true then clearly there is a problem. If as a consequence of this problem you're losing business or upsetting customers then your company should either investigate some professional telephone training for her or they should consider moving her to another position where she isn't dealing with clients. Failing that then it's just her being lazy and inattentive when somebody speaks to her in which case you should consider looking at your company's disciplinary procedure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Could she actually be hard of hearing? I imagine that face to face contact would cause little problem, but over a telephone much more apparent. If not, then the suggestions of pen and paper along with asking the caller to spell their name should resolve the situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I think the OP is just having a moan about the girl he works with because she's rubbish at taking his messages. Sack her and employ someone who can do the job.

This is untrue i actually find the phone conversations hilarious but it is a problem so im trying to help her, also im a girl

thanks everyone ive told her to get everyone to spell their names out even if its embarrassing for a while it might help her start to hear them properly. luckily it will only be her responsibility for a few months until a new junior comes in.

i personally cant remember names and have to be introduced to people ive met ten times before so i understand her pain slightly but ive never been so bad that i cant remember it as im hearing it!
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is untrue i actually find the phone conversations hilarious but it is a problem so im trying to help her, also im a girl

thanks everyone ive told her to get everyone to spell their names out even if its embarrassing for a while it might help her start to hear them properly. luckily it will only be her responsibility for a few months until a new junior comes in.

i personally cant remember names and have to be introduced to people ive met ten times before so i understand her pain slightly but ive never been so bad that i cant remember it as im hearing it!
    Sorry OP!