• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absorbing half-hour this was. I was shocked to see the humble surroundings such exquisite artwork emanates from. Can`t believe he`s given up working from home to travel into the centre of Glasgow and shared offices!

He hinted it`s not well-paid work and if a superstar like him struggles to pay the bills what must DC and Marvel be paying people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was good to catch quick glimpses of his work on Missionary Man and Shimura
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It was good to catch quick glimpses of his work on Missionary Man and Shimura

First time I was aware of him. Judge Dredd Megazine IIRC.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    What an absorbing half-hour this was. I was shocked to see the humble surroundings such exquisite artwork emanates from. Can`t believe he`s given up working from home to travel into the centre of Glasgow and shared offices!

He hinted it`s not well-paid work and if a superstar like him struggles to pay the bills what must DC and Marvel be paying people?

Well, you're talking page rates paid in dollars for a start but artists, and writers for that matter, don't get rich doing comics unless they do a Todd McF and set up their own company etc... even then, no guarantees. This is why a lot of writers also do novels or scriptwriting/editing. I know a few Brit based comic artists who work in advertising, producing graphics or storyboards on the side for more money.

I've not watched the doc yet so don't know FQs reasons but I also know of a few other comic creators who would rather work in offices, were there are other people to mix with, than work at home. Obviously that brings with it more (tax deductible)overheads but if it keeps the creative juices flowing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First time I was aware of him. Judge Dredd Megazine IIRC.

Same here and it actually took me quite a while to realise that "Frank Quitely" was a pseudonym
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of getting this it`s £22 delivered from the States (no vat or import duty) or £30 delivered from Amazon UK.