International Football

Comments

• jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    ITV must be a bit worried about having to show such dross against weak opposition for the next 18 months in peak viewing.

I really doubt it. Last night's match averaged 4.5m viewers despite being a completely nothing game. Qualifiers will all get 5m+ which is a good solid rating to have throughout primetime, when they've been getting ratings much lower than that in the normal schedule.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,006
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    ITV must be a bit worried about having to show such dross against weak opposition for the next 18 months in peak viewing.

Probably used to it...

Anyway we do ok in the qualifying - not hard I know with this group.

Its after all the hype of the major tournament that is the problem!
  • singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Euro 2016 Qualifier: Highlights

Monday 8th September at 10:40pm on ITV

Highlights and talking points from a busy week of Euro 2016 qualifiers, including Switzerland v England, Germany v Scotland, Northern Ireland v Hungary
    and Wales v Andorra.

Euro 2016 Qualifier: Highlights

Tuesday 9th September at 11:30pm on ITV

Matt Smith presents a round-up of highlights and talking points from a busy week of Euro 2016 qualifiers. Featuring England's tough trip to Basel to
    play Switzerland, Scotland's date with the World Cup winners Germany in Dortmund, Northern Ireland's match against Hungary and Wales against Andorra.

ITV have 2 highlight shows, one on Monday after the England match and then on Tuesday on ITV4 but at 11:30pm.
    On Monday's show, the synopsis has Wales match but they play on Tuesday so I suppose it will be all the action bar Tuesday's matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news. Checked the EPG and it seems Sky will have a highlights show but on Wednesday at 7pm. I suppose better late than never.

European Qualifiers: MD1 Round-Up - 7pm, (Sky Sports 5)
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    ITV have 2 highlight shows, one on Monday after the England match and then on Tuesday on ITV4 but at 11:30pm.
    On Monday's show, the synopsis has Wales match but they play on Tuesday so I suppose it will be all the action bar Tuesday's matches.

It's been mentioned I think that the highlights can only be after each "round" of matches, and on the coverage last night they promoted the Tuesday night programme as including all the home nations. They didn't mention the Monday night show so I'm assuming this will be probably just be the England game as they usually do, which they're able to show highlights from independently as they have the live rights to it.

The Virgin EPG had Tuesday's show as a repeat of Monday's, which of course is wrong (it's half an hour longer for a start), so clearly they've just done the same billing for both.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    So am I right that ITV4 will have an extra match for each Euro 2016 qualifying round? Just want to check to make sure I get my facts right for my blog
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    So am I right that ITV4 will have an extra match for each Euro 2016 qualifying round? Just want to check to make sure I get my facts right for my blog

Yes that's correct. 1st pick of non-home nations matches in Matchdays 1-8 and 2nd pick behind Sky for Matchdays 9 and 10.

ITV4 games:

MD1 - Czech Republic v Netherlands
    MD2 - Poland v Germany
    MD3 - Denmark v Portugal
    MD4 - Italy v Croatia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Yes that's correct. 1st pick of non-home nations matches in Matchdays 1-8 and 2nd pick behind Sky for Matchdays 9 and 10.

ITV4 games:

MD1 - Czech Republic v Netherlands
    MD2 - Poland v Germany
    MD3 - Denmark v Portugal
    MD4 - Italy v Croatia

Interesting that they picked the meaningless friendly on MD3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sorry, what do you mean?
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its,not,a,friendly..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, what do you mean?

Sorry I read it as France v Portugal. However, I did read in another thread that one of these friendly matches was chosen and there was an uproar. Don't know if that is still the case?
  • shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to Sky Sports' coverage of the Euro 2016 qualifiers and I'm pleased they have England highlights back as well. I read somewhere that David Jones and Kate Abdo are going to be presenting from a brand new studio with all the touch screen stuff to help with the match analysis. Main matches on Sky Sports 5, with match choice behind the red button a la Football First/Champions League, with overspill onto SS1 or SS3 by the looks of the initial listings. England highlights 10pm Monday with a full round up of MD1 qualification matches on Wednesday.

I also subscribe to Premier Sports, as they show the main UK series of motorsport I am interested in, so them showing ROI friendlies (via Setanta Sports coverage) is a bonus for me as I can watch the ROI/England match next June on that channel instead of suffering ITV's usual nonsense. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shedseven wrote: »
    I am looking forward to Sky Sports' coverage of the Euro 2016 qualifiers and I'm pleased they have England highlights back as well. I read somewhere that David Jones and Kate Abdo are going to be presenting from a brand new studio with all the touch screen stuff to help with the match analysis. Main matches on Sky Sports 5, with match choice behind the red button a la Football First/Champions League, with overspill onto SS1 or SS3 by the looks of the initial listings. England highlights 10pm Monday with a full round up of MD1 qualification matches on Wednesday.

I also subscribe to Premier Sports, as they show the main UK series of motorsport I am interested in, so them showing ROI friendlies (via Setanta Sports coverage) is a bonus for me as I can watch the ROI/England match next June on that channel instead of suffering ITV's usual nonsense. :)

Is the Republic Of Ireland v England match exclusive to Premier Sports. I would assume ITV have it for UK as they do with all other England away matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been mentioned I think that the highlights can only be after each "round" of matches, and on the coverage last night they promoted the Tuesday night programme as including all the home nations. They didn't mention the Monday night show so I'm assuming this will be probably just be the England game as they usually do, which they're able to show highlights from independently as they have the live rights to it.

The Virgin EPG had Tuesday's show as a repeat of Monday's, which of course is wrong (it's half an hour longer for a start), so clearly they've just done the same billing for both.

Yep thought so. Is that the reason why the highlights show is on so late at 11:30pm so they will show the England match in the first half hour as they have rights to it and then from midnight, both them and Sky can show all the action.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Republic Of Ireland v England match exclusive to Premier Sports. I would assume ITV have it for UK as they do with all other England away matches.

Yes, ITV have it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, ITV have it too.

Does that mean both will show it? I can't see Premier Sports showing it or ITV allowing it. RTE will have main rights in ROI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean both will show it? I can't see Premier Sports showing it or ITV allowing it. RTE will have main rights in ROI.

I am assuming both will show it. Setanta Sports have just signed a deal with the FAI to show all Republic of Ireland friendly matches. Premier Sports is the sister channel in Britain to Setanta Sports and showed ROI v Oman the other night, plus has ROI v USA coming up. RTE I think are the main broadcaster for ROI home/away matches in qualifiers (along with Sky Sports for Euro 2016 ties). I would be amazed if ITV objected to this being shown on Premier Sports to be honest.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shedseven wrote: »
    I am assuming both will show it. Setanta Sports have just signed a deal with the FAI to show all Republic of Ireland friendly matches. Premier Sports is the sister channel in Britain to Setanta Sports and showed ROI v Oman the other night, plus has ROI v USA coming up. RTE I think are the main broadcaster for ROI home/away matches in qualifiers (along with Sky Sports for Euro 2016 ties). I would be amazed if ITV objected to this being shown on Premier Sports to be honest.
    I would imagine that Premier Sports were able to show ROI v Oman, and will show ROI v USA, is because Setanta were able to buy the UK rights as well. Those rights won't be on offer for the England game.

Even though Premier Sports is tiny, I'd be more amazed if ITV were prepared to share.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    I would imagine that Premier Sports were able to show ROI v Oman, and will show ROI v USA, is because Setanta were able to buy the UK rights as well. Those rights won't be on offer for the England game.

Even though Premier Sports is tiny, I'd be more amazed if ITV were prepared to share.

You may well be right Mark, more on the Premier/Setanta ROI deal here....

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/08/28/premier-sports-to-air-rep-of-ireland-home-friendlies-until-2018/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see it happening either. However, we have seen shared rights or something similar with Scotland's away matches in the last few years with BT Sports/ESPN showing it even though BBC Scotland showed it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take that back, after reading the link posted by shedseven, maybe they will both show it.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like the UEFA/FIFA qualifiers won't be shown in Germany, except for the German matches on RTL of course. Two small pay-tv providers (Sport 1+ and Sportdigital) were interested but their offer was so low that UEFA's agency prefers to retain the rights. Allegedly, Sky Deutschland didn't even bother to make a bid.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are UEFA requiring HD for all matches, à la the Champions' League?

I had a look at the UEFA media regulations but there was no mention of it that I could see.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Are UEFA requiring HD for all matches, à la the Champions' League?

I had a look at the UEFA media regulations but there was no mention of it that I could see.

Yes, UEFA requires HD for all matches now.
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Yes, UEFA requires HD for all matches now.
    What will happen for matches behind Sky's red button? Last I watched something on the red button it wasn't HD - do they get round it by providing a "HD" stream for Sky Go?