How many eggs per week?

scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is eating 6-8 whole eggs per week reasonable if you're a healthy person?

What's the recommended number of egg intake per week?:confused:

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    As long as your cholesterol levels are okay, as many as you want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    They used to say you could only have a couple per week. My Mum always put a strict limit on them however these days the NHS doesn't put a limit on how many you should eat. They're a good source of protein and other stuff. So long as you aren't frying them I wouldn't worry too much :)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're worried about cholesterol, there are studies that when it comes to measuring our serum (blood) cholesterol, our dietary cholesterol accounts for only 20% of that reading. Things that impact it more are lifestyle (exercise) and heredity.

If you don't eat much cholesterol, your liver will produce what your body needs. And our bodies DO need cholesterol.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eggs are one of the few things that really fill me up. I would say I often have 1-2 per day however I can go a good few days without. To average it out if say it was around 6-10 per week
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    As many as you want. We have our own chickens and you can't beat fresh free range eggs for taste (and they are very cheap compared to shop bought ones which are going to be several days old by the time they hit the shelves).
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy a half dozen every two weeks - and usually throw 3 to 4 of the old ones out! In days gone by - those of an unhealthy full English/Scottish breakfast - I'd use 2 to 4 a day!
  • Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just be careful not to eat too many hard boiled eggs because you may get stomach cramps and become egg bound and that's not funny. Ouch! 🐓
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,911
    Forum Member
    I don't eat any where near as many eggs as I used to. I used to have 2 scrambled eggs with a slice of toast each morning but I've swapped that for cereal now.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a myth that eating eggs raises your cholesterol. Also eggs are remarkable in that they don't go off for a long time. It is something to do with the shell and the white are resistant to bacteria. If you are worried whether an egg is fresh or not, then put it into a pan of water. If it floats it's off, or if it tips with one end sticking up then it is not very fresh. Alternatively break the egg into a bowl. If it is off you'll know by the smell!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I buy a half dozen every two weeks - and usually throw 3 to 4 of the old ones out! In days gone by - those of an unhealthy full English/Scottish breakfast - I'd use 2 to 4 a day!

Why are you throwing away perfectly good eggs? Why are over 50% of the eggs you buy wasted?

You need to re-think your egg buying habits.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond foods that have egg as ingredient, I hardly ever eat eggs.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I Learnt Today about Eggs.

You should all buy fresh farm eggs because commercial eggs are washed after they are laid and this washes away the protective layer round the egg that nature provides. The protective layer that is secreted by the hen acts as a barrier to the bacteria from the outside world.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should buy fresh farm eggs anyway
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find me a fresh farm egg within 10 miles and I might :D

However the rubbish they spoke about eggs for so many years has been rubbished as it should, Eggs are great they even give us vitamin D I am told one of the only foods that do.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

However the rubbish they spoke about eggs for so many years has been rubbished as it should, Eggs are great they even give us vitamin D I am told one of the only foods that do.

Plenty of foods contain vitamin D:

Eggs
    Oily Fish
    Tofu
    Wholegrains
    Dairy
    Pork
    Yoghurt
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be careful not to eat too many hard boiled eggs because you may get stomach cramps and become egg bound and that's not funny. Ouch! 🐓

"bloody egg bound"
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »

That's eggstrodinary
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    I ate 1-2 per day.

Wow a massive difference between supermarket eggs (free range, organic & scum class) and farm eggs. There's no comparison I could eat half a dozen of the farm eggs.

Also Japan has some of the best eggs Ive ever tasted why cant our super markets produce eggs like they can ??
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of foods contain vitamin D:

Eggs
    Oily Fish
    Tofu
    Wholegrains
    Dairy
    Pork
    Yoghurt

OK one of the only foods I can eat obviously the GP was advising on my diet I thought she meant generally,
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »

You should all buy fresh farm eggs because commercial eggs are washed after they are laid and this washes away the protective layer round the egg that nature provides. The protective layer that is secreted by the hen acts as a barrier to the bacteria from the outside world.

It is not permitted to sell Washed Eggs, so I don't know where you got that from. It is also not permitted to sell cracked Eggs.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I eat 2 at breakfast every day
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yesterday i managed 3 hb for lunch, an egg sandwich and 5 in my omelette for dinner!!
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »

I remember my Gran coating eggs with Vaseline when they were storing them . It kept them fresh and safer to eat we were told
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I remember my Gran coating eggs with Vaseline when they were storing them . It kept them fresh and safer to eat we were told

At what age did the people who eat them have an MI?
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,381
    Forum Member
    As many as you want. We have our own chickens and you can't beat fresh free range eggs for taste (and they are very cheap compared to shop bought ones which are going to be several days old by the time they hit the shelves).

What are the guide lines on eating fresh eggs from 'back garden' hens? I often get given them from someone who has her own chickens (in fact too many really) and I do wonder how safe they are. I love poached eggs but for peace of mind never use these particialr eggs for anything where the egg is not going to be thoroughly cooked.
    I was under the impression that 3 eggs per week was the maximum one should eat but I would love for this to be wrong!