Options

What is it with the obligatory "long note"??

SharmootahSharmootah Posts: 24
Forum Member
Can someone please explain why the audiences cream themselves when somebody holds a note (in tune, or otherwise) for upwards of 5 seconds ??? I'd be impressed if it was like "that" long note in Bill Withers "Lovely Day " :confused:

Comments

• Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Regardless of how good it is, it becomes boring and loses all impact when it's chucked willy-nilly into just about every song these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...Soooooo true.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Simon seems to love them and actively encourages the overuse of them. Like anything you can have too much of a good thing.
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Even when it is held beautifully and displays wonderful technical skill I hate it. As the note drags out it really grates on me and I want to shout "enough"! But that's just my personal taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People with low IQs love long notes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha :D I know as if exhaling for 5sec is impressive
  • Options
    _Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    The X Factor spreads the idea that a 'big' voice is all that matters, and that singing in that certain style is the best you can get - and most people buy into it.

The problem is, it's utter rubbish. The show sticks to a formula of what it has decided a great singer should be . . . a formula that doesn't really seem interested in how the charts work, or the 'x factor' the show's named after.

Louis hit the nail on the head when he told Danyl that he's trying too hard, but he should say the same to Stacey too. They've been packaged as big belting singers, and it's detrimental to them both.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so when they do the "Last night/week" bit at the start of the show, they can show a montage of "ooooooooooooooooh/haaaaaaaaaaaah/eeeeeaaaaaaaaah" like they do every night! Watch tonight, you'll see what I mean
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's so when they do the "Last night/week" bit at the start of the show, they can show a montage of "ooooooooooooooooh/haaaaaaaaaaaah/eeeeeaaaaaaaaah" like they do every night! Watch tonight, you'll see what I mean

I know the bit you mean - that short clip is fingers in ears time for me
  • Options
    Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor spreads the idea that a 'big' voice is all that matters, and that singing in that certain style is the best you can get - and most people buy into it.

The problem is, it's utter rubbish. The show sticks to a formula of what it has decided a great singer should be . . . a formula that doesn't really seem interested in how the charts work, or the 'x factor' the show's named after.
    Totally agree. Nothing wrong with a big voice if that's what the contestant naturally has anyway, but it annoys me that contestants who have a different kind of voice are either dismissed as no good because their singing style's more subtle, or are forced to do the big notes even though their voices don't naturally lend themselves to it.

Very few of the singers I listen to belt out the big notes like they do in X Factor. I suppose it's down to Mariah, Celine, Whitney and Leona being seen as the ideal style for female singers on the show (heck, three of them have actually appeared on it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. Nothing wrong with a big voice if that's what the contestant naturally has anyway, but it annoys me that contestants who have a different kind of voice are either dismissed as no good because their singing style's more subtle, or are forced to do the big notes even though their voices don't naturally lend themselves to it.

Very few of the singers I listen to belt out the big notes like they do in X Factor. I suppose it's down to Mariah, Celine, Whitney and Leona being seen as the ideal style for female singers on the show (heck, three of them have actually appeared on it).

Yep - agree with this (and the PP) completely.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kablamo wrote: »
    People with low IQs love long notes.

Then you must sing quite a few.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It's designed to grab atttentiiiiiiooooooooooooooooooon!
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont mind if the song has them in there, or perhaps at the end after you've built the performance towards it, but Danyl just stuck a long shout in the middle of a subdued track for no descernable reason last night, and I was still thinking 'what on earth...' when the judges were telling him how great he was.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind if the song has them in there, or perhaps at the end after you've built the performance towards it, but Danyl just stuck a long shout in the middle of a subdued track for no descernable reason last night, and I was still thinking 'what on earth...' when the judges were telling him how great he was.

I thought exactly the same. He chucked a long note in at a really inappropriate place in the song aswell. His version was just pants compared to George Michael. It had no real emotion and was rather like a 'sing by numbers' routine. I predict he will be going home tonight. He can only survive if he's up against Lloyd (or possibly the twins).
  • Options
    daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...'tis cringe worthy.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember the guy from last year who help that *really* long note in the 'rejects' performance of I Have A Dream? :p

That is what all the contestants should be aiming for. *nods* :D
  • Options
    Simon CowSimon Cow Posts: 2,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharmootah wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why the audiences cream themselves when somebody holds a note (in tune, or otherwise) for upwards of 5 seconds ??? I'd be impressed if it was like "that" long note in Bill Withers "Lovely Day " :confused:

That's funny as I used to sing "Lovely Day" at karaoke and at that level it does impress but at professional level it's pretentious.

It is also one thing doing a song that has a long note written into it and quite another constantly adding long notes to show off in songs that don't have them. (Like one of them does every week) It's weak, pretentious and not very professional.

Especially when you get known for it every week after week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stacey does it a lot, but to be fair, I thought her only two good notes last night were her two big ones, and I think she'll stay on the back of it, because its the bit you see in the clip!
  • Options
    yawalloperyawalloper Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
    It's a bit of an American phenomena. I watched Mariah Carey on alan carrs chatty man show the other night. She did one of those long notes followed by a slight pause for the usual American audience to whoop and cheer....unfortunately the british alan carr audience were firmly sitting on their hands and silent...she did look slightly disappointed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharmootah wrote: »

It's a cheap crowd pleaser. Some of them (Stacey) don't even need to worry about being in tune, as soon as the audience know a long note is about to happen they start screaming on cue and drown the singing out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member

Louis hit the nail on the head when he told Danyl that he's trying too hard, but he should say the same to Stacey too. They've been packaged as big belting singers, and it's detrimental to them both.

I am with you on this Zd. I have long held the view that the show and its producers and in particular Mr. C. have a pre conditioned view of what a good singer is and are missing the whole point at the original idea of the show which, as I understood it was to to identify an act that has something more than the run of the mill. That something more might be something other than a good voice, being able to hold a long note or necessarily sing loud!!! Maybe that is why the public are getting behind the twins...kick back time Mr. C.

What the show is now doing is the moulding of artists into a 'formula' which is now old hat and stale!!

We need a fresh approach and XF as it now is, is not it!!!