Options

Can Man Utd go unbeaten through the entire season?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
Forum Member
Does anyone think they can repeat Arsenal's unbeaten season in 2003-04?

If they can avoid defeat at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, then who knows what might happen.

Comments

• Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything is possible, but i can't see it happening. Mainly because i don't want it to lol
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we can go unbeaten, we certainly have the ability to do just that and repeat Preston and Arsenal's record, but will we? No is the answer. It is too long a season for that to happen.
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter really. Should they do it however I suspect that there will be no special 'gold' trophy presentation like the one presented to Arsenal during their season.

Retaining something or winning it three times, especially in a row, is considered a huge deal in some football tournaments. For example, Brazil winning the Jules Rimet trophy for the third time and keeping it.

United got no such accolade yet you win it once yet avoid defeat in all your league matches, you get a gold one...if you're Arsenal.

Nothing for the first retention, nothing for the second. Nothing for winning it three times in a row, nothing for doing that same thing the second time around. Not even a special accolade for the tenth time they'd won that particular Premier League trophy.

I suspect, depending on how the league pans out, should United win it'll be the normal trophy and should the Gunners finish second they'll probably get diamond encrusted runner-up medals for some reason or another. Going the whole season whilst conceding the fewest number of goals to players born of Polish origin, I suspect.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter really. Should they do it however I suspect that there will be no special 'gold' trophy presentation like the one presented to Arsenal during their season.

Retaining something or winning it three times, especially in a row, is considered a huge deal in some football tournaments. For example, Brazil winning the Jules Rimet trophy for the third time and keeping it.

United got no such accolade yet you win it once yet avoid defeat in all your league matches, you get a gold one...if you're Arsenal.

Nothing for the first retention, nothing for the second. Nothing for winning it three times in a row, nothing for doing that same thing the second time around. Not even a special accolade for the tenth time they'd won that particular Premier League trophy.

I suspect, depending on how the league pans out, should United win it'll be the normal trophy and should the Gunners finish second they'll probably get diamond encrusted runner-up medals for some reason or another. Going the whole season whilst conceding the fewest number of goals to players born of Polish origin, I suspect.
    I still feel Pires should also have got some sort of award for his dive at Portsmouth to keep the run going, maybe a gold blade of grass that looks similar to the one he tripped over ?
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iIf they use the boring defensive tactics they used last night they have a chance.

I think they will get beat on Sunday though
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    No real ambition to go the season unbeaten really. We havent played well enough for it to be a huge achievement but the fact that we arent losing games is the most important thing. To get to this stage of the season with a 0 in the L column and be top of the league is pleasing.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We really have a good chance this season the run will continue with a draw on Sunday , but I'm worried as I think it could kick start chelskies season if they get any sort of result against us
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Can they, yes, will they, no.

If come May United are top of the table then in all honesty I couldn't care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I don't think they are that good to go unbeaten. They should have been beaten already this season but go lucky.

Chelsea with a point to prove should turn them over at the weekend.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Graves39 wrote: »
    I don't think they are that good to go unbeaten. They should have been beaten already this season but go lucky.

Agreed conveniently forgotten they have only won 1 away game
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Won, lost, drawn doesn't really matter, what matters is we are two points clear at the top having played a game less than the other teams.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

Who has conveniently forgotten?
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iIf they use the boring defensive tactics they used last night they have a chance.

What tactics were those? Because I swear I watched the match and didn't see any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some bitterness going on here. Wouldn't be the same without it though. Onwards an upwards.

Going unbeaten doesn't matter. We have the most points from the fewest games played. That what counts.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graves39 wrote: »

Given the recent relative fortunes of both clubs, you'd be hard-pushed to say Chelsea should be winning that game.
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some bitterness going on here.

Strong irony
  • Options
    colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clearly no idea what football is.

Defensive tactics when we had more of the ball, more shots, more on target, less fouls and we were always looking dangerous. First half we we by far the better side and 2nd half we sat back and said 'come on arsenal' show us what you got.

Im going to guess your team plays in the SPL which instantly nullifies any comments you make about defensive football when the SPL is possibly the worst league on earth.

Defensive performance, were not bloody Rangers you know.

As for the question, no we wont go unbeaten, we will try and win all 3 competitions we are left in. That is how we role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    Strong irony

Perhaps. But I don't doubt that the gesture was made on behalf of the Premier League for no other reason than 'because it's Arsenal'

No doubt all sorts of special commemorative trophies would have been awarded and paraded shoud Arsenal have matched United's achievements since the inception of the Premier League.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think the rest of the league should think themselves bloody lucky we have only won 1.

Infact we should be at least 11 points clear by now but as we dropped points v WBA, Fulham and Everton when we really should of won we havnt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a gooner I truly believe that they cannot. In fact i reckon they'll get beat by woeful Chelseaat the weekend and this debate will finally end :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDN wrote: »
    As a gooner I truly believe that they cannot. In fact i reckon they'll get beat by woeful Chelseaat the weekend and this debate will finally end :D

I think we may very well win. Chelsea are a poor and massively overrated squad and the manager is a joke. I dont fall for stats about what such and such a guy has won, as I see it, Italians dont work in the EPL. The fact Carlo is the most successful ever goes someway to prove this as he is struggling now.

I will take a draw but I reckon after Chelsea extremely fortunate results against us last season ( they cost us the league with some terrible refereeing ) I hope we are looking to win.

If we win we will definately win the title though. I am that confident. Effectively we would be 9 points ahead of chelsea and 8 ahead of City and Arsenal*.

Of course theres a small chance blackpool could win but no body would be willing to put there house on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colnechris wrote: »
    I think we may very well win. Chelsea are a poor and massively overrated squad and the manager is a joke. I dont fall for stats about what such and such a guy has won, as I see it, Italians dont work in the EPL. The fact Carlo is the most successful ever goes someway to prove this as he is struggling now.

I will take a draw but I reckon after Chelsea extremely fortunate results against us last season ( they cost us the league with some terrible refereeing ) I hope we are looking to win.

If we win we will definately win the title though. I am that confident. Effectively we would be 9 points ahead of chelsea and 8 ahead of City and Arsenal*.

Of course theres a small chance blackpool could win but no body would be willing to put there house on it.

I do agree about Chelsea. They are a shadow of their former selves this season and you could easily beat them but I just hope you don't because i'd favour a a Chelsea win to keep the title interesting. It really seems like this season more than any before that no team is willing to take control of the league and put a run of wins togetehr to stay at the top. It makes it a hell of a lot more exciting than previous campaigns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but seeing John Terry cry is always a great thing to witness.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've put a bet on it (at truly terrible odds, so the bookies clearly think it could happen) and I did so because, despite how badly we've played (apart from the game with Villa) we haven't really looked like being turned over. And as all long-term red fans know, we rarely play badly for a whole season, so how will teams live with us when we hit our stride?

Funnily enough, the dynamic way we played yesterday was the first time this season I thought we could actually be on for a treble or some sort of double.

Still, it's just a punt. As others have said, so long as we're top come May that's all that matters.
  • Options
    Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    we can but will we? it will be hard. i don't think we'll lose at home this season but away is tricky especially we've not visited chelsea, spurs, arsenal or city yet.