The Wire

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    we just started watching The Wire about 3 weeks ago and are nearly at the end of Season 4. I just need to get to the end so I can get on with my life! :D

Absolutely brilliant, I agree it is all about the characters, felt it went off the boil a bit in Season 2, wasn't keen on a lot of the dockers and much prefer the street drugs stories and glad they came back.

Love all the characters in it and what I really like is none of them are "safe" just because someone is a big player doesnt mean they can't get banged up or shot or thrown in a river which is quite unlike most shows as they often try to keep hold of the big characters for fear that the rest of the show will fall to bits - it shows the strength of The Wire when comparing the cast list from season 1 to season 5.

Also love how things from earlier seasons crop up later on.

Got far too many favourite characters to name, but I really loved Stringer he was by far my favourite, he fascinated me - his business acumen was truly fascinating when you consider his roots. He had a heart somewhere deep down, it was just hard to see.
    Also love Wee-bay in his last police interview when he basically stuffed his face on a burger whilst admitting to any murder they wanted to change from red to black - legend, loved that he crops up later with Nayman
    Wee-bay's missis "the dragon lady" is hilarious too.

I really detest Clarence and Clay but they are obviously well acted because I really can't bear watching them. Shiiiiiit haha!

Bubbles is obviously ace too and I find myself hoping he makes it to the end. It is really difficult to remember he is an actor, he is the most convincing heroin addict I've ever seen.

Boadie turned himself around in my eyes,
    hated him for the murder of Wallis
    but he has really grown on me and I hope he manages to the end.

The one I can't fathom is Felicia (who by the way isn't a boy - confused the hell out of me for the first half of season 4 until I did some wiki research!) she seems to actually not be acting and almost IS that character in real life. Can't understand a ruddy word she says most of the time. She scares the shiiiiiit out of me, more than anyone in it, I'd be most terrified if I met her up a dark alley!

I never want it to end! :cry:

PS - Only put the spoiler tags in in case the OP hasn't caught up yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Miss-Fitz wrote: »
    we just started watching The Wire about 3 weeks ago and are nearly at the end of Season 4. I just need to get to the end so I can get on with my life! :D

Absolutely brilliant, I agree it is all about the characters, felt it went off the boil a bit in Season 2, wasn't keen on a lot of the dockers and much prefer the street drugs stories and glad they came back.

Love all the characters in it and what I really like is none of them are "safe" just because someone is a big player doesnt mean they can't get banged up or shot or thrown in a river which is quite unlike most shows as they often try to keep hold of the big characters for fear that the rest of the show will fall to bits - it shows the strength of The Wire when comparing the cast list from season 1 to season 5.

Got far too many favourite characters to name, but I really loved Stringer he was by far my favourite, he fascinated me - his business acumen was truly fascinating when you consider his roots. He had a heart somewhere deep down, it was just hard to see.
    Also love Wee-bay in his last police interview when he basically stuffed his face on a burger whilst admitting to any murder they wanted to change from red to black - legend, loved that he crops up later with Nayman

I really detest Clarence and Clay but they are obviously well acted because I really can't bear watching them. Shiiiiiit haha!

Bubbles is obviously ace too and I find myself hoping he makes it to the end. It is really difficult to remember he is an actor, he is the most convincing heroin addict I've ever seen.

The one I can't fathom is Felicia (who by the way isn't a boy - confused the hell out of me for the first half of season 4 until I did some wiki research!) she seems to actually not be acting and almost IS that character in real life. Can't understand a ruddy word she says most of the time. She scares the shiiiiiit out of me, more than anyone in it, I'd be most terrified if I met her up a dark alley!

I watched the entire series and thought snoop/felicia was a man, it was only the second time round i read somewhere that snoop was in fact a girl! now i'm on my third time watching it and i can't see her as a girl, she doesn't act like one at all, no offence intended. :)

the end of season four was a bit of a let down compared to season three, i think the future of the show must not have been clear as it felt like they were going to end it there...glad they didn't though :D

i had a huge amount of respect for bunny! he was amazing to take namon whom i also admired for not being taken by the streets.

it's not snoop i would be scared of, but the dragon lady, she was horrible!
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me and my wife sat open mouthed on our first watch of the Wire, when D'abgelo was murdered! just could not believe it, i was saying na na he must be alive!

I cant beleive you didnt know snoop was a woman :confused: i know she is manly but come on.

so many good characters Omar, Bubs, Bunk, Lester, Bodie, Carcetti, Cutty, Stringer, Clay, Jay :D Awesome tv
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    Me and my wife sat open mouthed on our first watch of the Wire, when D'abgelo was murdered! just could not believe it, i was saying na na he must be alive!

I cant beleive you didnt know snoop was a woman :confused: i know she is manly but come on.

so many good characters Omar, Bubs, Bunk, Lester, Bodie, Carcetti, Cutty, Stringer, Clay, Jay :D Awesome tv

Actually when we first started watching I did google Snoop because I wasn't sure!

Watched The Wire all the way through weekend after weekend until it was finished - we were hooked! In my top 5 TV shows of all time and just an amazing piece of drama - the imagination of the writers is unbelievable. And we were shocked to find British actors playing such good roles with great accents too!

At the start it was hard to understand sometime what was being said, but we tuned in eventaully! When we see a police car on the motorway now, we say Five-O, Five O!:D

Jimmy let me down in the end. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually when we first started watching I did google Snoop because I wasn't sure!

Watched The Wire all the way through weekend after weekend until it was finished - we were hooked! In my top 5 TV shows of all time and just an amazing piece of drama - the imagination of the writers is unbelievable. And we were shocked to find British actors playing such good roles with great accents too!

At the start it was hard to understand sometime what was being said, but we tuned in eventaully! When we see a police car on the motorway now, we say Five-O, Five O!:D

Jimmy let me down in the end. :(

I was not a great Jimmy fan myself, found him very annoying until the last series :D

I think Omar is probably my favourite character i thought he was brilliant i watched the episode last night when he led the police to bird, and he is so funny in that episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Where is the love for Slim Charles, he was my favourite soldier in the series even above Wee-bay.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Omar is one of the best TV characters of all time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Ratman81 wrote: »
    Where is the love for Slim Charles, he was my favourite soldier in the series even above Wee-bay.

What a voice! I could hear him talk all day, wonder if he's done any music?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldoldboy wrote: »
    What a voice! I could hear him talk all day, wonder if he's done any music?

Ralph Anwan Glover (also known as Big G) is an American actor and musician. He is one of the founding members of the Backyard Band, a go-go band, as well as appearing as gang member Slim Charles in the HBO series The Wire. He has also appeared in music videos, such as Boyz n da Hood's "Dem Boyz" among others, and has a spot on WKYS-FM radio in the Washington, D.C. area.[1]
    He also speaks to youth in the DC area and has been accepted in the New York Film Academy.
    On August 26, 2007, Glover's brother Tayon was shot and killed in the neighborhood of Columbia Heights. Anwan addressed the press along with D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, saying "We're tired of seeing the yellow [police] tape" and calling for an end to revenge shootings.[2]
    In an interview Anwan mentions being shot thirteen times.[3]
    Glover has been working in a film titled "Shoedog" since 2009,[4] written by author & The Wire contributor George Pelecanos and scheduled for release in 2011 [5
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Omar is one of the best TV characters of all time.

I think making him gay was a stroke of genius. In that environment, being gay is a big no-no. So casting one of the hardest guy in the program to be gay was awesome.
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the wire is my fav tv show ever. Watching it again on FX now, 2nd time I've watched it and the 3rd time for the hubby and we're both totally hooked yet again.

Omar is a legend.
    I even forgave him for what he did to stringer who I loved :o

Has anyone read the book? That is fantastic as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I think making him gay was a stroke of genius. In that environment, being gay is a big no-no. So casting one of the hardest guy in the program to be gay was awesome.

Agreed

He is the toughest guy in the show, for him to be gay wow! i would like to see a preview to the wire done showing his brother and their crew, and how Avon become number 1, how bunk and Jimmy were when they first become detectives
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only caught part of series 4 and all of series 5 when it was on BBC2 and a fiend said you have to watch it all.

There is so much to mention/quote but when D'angelo was teaching the two guys to play chess using street talk I was almost in danger of "passing water"!

And then this week, when you think it can't get any better Steve Earle is in it!!!

Often described as the best TV series ever - if it's not then it's not far off the top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree that Omar is one of the best characters of all time on TV - inspired writing. He was so menacing, but with his own moral code - very scary.

I loved Stringer Bell too though and the way he actually took business courses to help him in 'the business'!

It would be easy to say something good about almost every character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    J-J wrote: »
    Ralph Anwan Glover (also known as Big G) is an American actor and musician.

Ahh, that explains it then.

I loved the way they cast non-professional actors, real street kids, real cops, real community leaders & volunteers. It really added to its sense of authenticity. It really blurred the lines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldoldboy wrote: »
    Ahh, that explains it then.

I loved the way they cast non-professional actors, real street kids, real cops, real community leaders & volunteers. It really added to its sense of authenticity. It really blurred the lines.

Absolutely. Amazing too just how well it worked.
    Forum Member
    I loved this snippit that I found on Wiki:
    "Andre Royo is mostly known for his starring role on the HBO program The Wire as drug addict and confidential informant "Bubbles" (a regular character since the show's first season). Royo's portrayal of this character was so convincing that during on-location filming he was once approached by a real life addict and given heroin, with the compassionate addict declaring that the in-character Royo did "need a fix more than" him. Royo has called this his "street Oscar."

I think that sums up his amazing acting!!

4 episodes in on Season 5 now, although I do know who lives and who dies as I spoiled it for myself. I have no willpower. Not loving the journalism story, I can't warm to the characters, nor do I care about them especially as I know this is the last season. I want to know more about the ganggggstars!

Yes I love Slim too, his voice is indeed ace.

I think Omar is really likeable and that is what makes him so scary as a character. His outrage when his Grandma's hat got shot was brilliant, never mind that he killed all kinds of people, but you don't mess with Grandma's hat on a Sunday. Brilliant. I'd take a meeting with Omar any day over Snoop, she really scary!

I think it is quite an easy mistake to make to think she is a boy, there is nothing feminine about her in the whole of season 4, but she makes the odd girly face in season 5 so its a bit easier to see she is female.

I'm really curious about their relationships, apart from Snoop, Brianna, Mrs D'Angelo and Dragon Lady there are hardly any 'street' women portrayed. It would have been good to see more of the younger street girls and if Marlo had a Mrs Marlo - but I guess that is the point, he doesn't have anyone who he cares enough about.

I really miss String, he is by far my favourite, would have loved to see him try and get straight and get clean money and be a "legitimate" business man, would have made for a great story, but was a pretty good ending for him even if I would have preferred a different outcome, still, I can google his picture now and then for a little Stringer fix.

Also missing Boadie from Season 5. Long live the Barksdale massive!!

I can't believe The Wire was off my radar for so long! It is class!
    Forum Member

It would be easy to say something good about almost every character.

..and I think thats what made it work. I hated Boadie for his badness in Season 1, but by Season 4 I loved him.

They showed the humanity, no matter how small in each of the characters, the only out and out villain for me is Marlo who I've yet to see show any extreme emotion/hurt/anger, he is very 'on the level' for me, but still got 6 episodes to see if he redeems himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about Omar's grandmother's hat when I posted earlier!

Prez was another guy I really took to with his quirkiness paying off

Never in a million years would I have guessed Idris Elba the actor playing Stringer Bell was British just brilliant (very hot too! :p). Aiden Gillen is another actor that played a totally believable American.
    ..and I think thats what made it work. I hated Boadie for his badness in Season 1, but by Season 4 I loved him.

They showed the humanity, no matter how small in each of the characters, the only out and out villain for me is Marlo who I've yet to see show any extreme emotion/hurt/anger, he is very 'on the level' for me, but still got 6 episodes to see if he redeems himself.

I always thought Bodie would get out, just walk away.

Omar and Brother Mouzone were scary bad guys, but Marlo is the the real bad guy - a true psycho showing no emotion. Scary future if that's the kind of guy running drugs on the streets.

An actor with a role in The Wire on his CV will always catch my eye!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US Attorney General wants The Wire to return

The article contains a 10 minute video of a selection of the best quotes - enjoy! :D
    Forum Member
    It s'all in the game, s'all in the game.

I do wish they would do another series, but they wrapped up season 5 so nicely I wouldn't like them to kill it with a 6th season.

I know, I always hoped Boadie would get out, but he was a die hard Barksdaler , he didnt know any different so lived and died for his corner, it was probably all he had.

Aiden Gillen (Carcetti) is in Game of Thrones but he just seems to be playing Carcetti in a medieval costume! Thought he was good in the wire but I'm not feeling him in GoT.

Stringer was a real surprise when I found out he was British! Dominic West too..he had a great B'more accent!

Does anyone know what that funny little noise that Snoop makes means? It's like an animal calling "Yerc" or similar.

Can anyone explain the significance of "my name is my name" quote by Marlo, it seems to be a big deal but I dont really understand it.

I'm still majorly pining for it! Going to watch Treme heard thats good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do wish they would do another series, but they wrapped up season 5 so nicely I wouldn't like them to kill it with a 6th season.

I know, I always hoped Boadie would get out, but he was a die hard Barksdaler , he didnt know any different so lived and died for his corner, it was probably all he had.

Aiden Gillen (Carcetti) is in Game of Thrones but he just seems to be playing Carcetti in a medieval costume! Thought he was good in the wire but I'm not feeling him in GoT.

Stringer was a real surprise when I found out he was British! Dominic West too..he had a great B'more accent!

Does anyone know what that funny little noise that Snoop makes means? It's like an animal calling "Yerc" or similar.

Can anyone explain the significance of "my name is my name" quote by Marlo, it seems to be a big deal but I dont really understand it.

I'm still majorly pining for it! Going to watch Treme heard thats good.

This is why i would love to see a prequel!!!!!! showing how Avon and Stringer came up to run everything, how Jimmy and bunk were before they became so messed up, they could use quite a lot of the cast, showing how Bubbs met Kima, Omar running with his brother's crew etc

The prequal show is wide open to be done, there is so many good background stories which could be told.

Look how Spartacus done a prequel recently, it has been a massive success.

The only problem i can think of is the ages of the cast, so they may have to recast which would ruin it, but surely it would be great for those stories to be told
  • Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He means that when people hear the name "Marlo" they know his reputation, ie, if you cross him, you're dead, no mercy ever.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Season 5 killed it for me. I thought I'd enjoy it more when I re-watched it, but it was just as bad the second time round :(

I think it's "yo, here". I'm sure I read that on the IMDB boards.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    There was going to be a 6th season, it was going to focus on the Hispanics I believe. Not sure of the reasons why it didnt happen.

"my name is my name" basically means that his reputation. When people hear his name, they know he is a mean mofo not to be messed with. Much in the same way Omar...when the kids hear his name they all legit.