Should Barcelona deliberately play Hoofball for a season?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
Forum Member
✭✭
The tiky taka is getting a bit boring after all. Perfect chance to see if they have a Plan B. Get big Sam in for a season ,swap Messi for Carroll on a season loan. Perhaps Iniesta for Cattermole with Sunderland to.

This way , Guardiola will be guaranteed an even bigger heroes reception on his return , as he rescues them from the La Liga doldrums.

Comments

• Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    Ticky taka is a bit like boxing, where there are long periods of "sparing", followed by moments of high excitement. In matches where there is mainly sparing, it is understandable that some class it as boring, like Spain's world cup bid, but I think they always offer intrigue with their football. If I was going to choose a team who I felt played the most interesting football, then I'd select someone more versatile, like Tottenham this year or Arsenal.

As for them playing "hoofball", I know you're joking, but I think it'd be a tad reactionary for them to change their style of play, and I don't think that's what Pep was saying. Football isn't just short and long balls. I think what Pep was alluding to is there were better things they could've done to beat Chelsea. Had they had some 6 footers on the bench they could've thrown them on and started pumping balls into the box. Chelsea were already so deep that they were not going to break them down normally. Chelsea were only able to do that because of Barcelona's refusal to cross the ball. A lot of Chelsea's clock running down was done for them.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think they should sign Carroll, Crouch and Rory Delap and install Allardyce as manager. It's no good winning all these trophies without a plan b is there?

You jerk your left knee in, your left knee out, in out in out you jerk it all about, you do the digital spy knee jerk.............
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they should sign Carroll, Crouch and Rory Delap and install Allardyce as manager. It's no good winning all these trophies without a plan b is there?

You jerk your left knee in, your left knee out, in out in out you jerk it all about, you do the digital spy knee jerk.............
    Oh dear...... someone's sense of humour has taken a vacation!! :D
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole plan b nonsense people keep banging about is hyperbole. Plan A created enough chances to win the tie comfortably. The problem was not no plan b but more to do with not moving the ball as quickly as they normally do but that was more to do with fatigue than anything else. Its not like in the last 4 seasons pep never changed anything to turn draws or losses into wins.

Plan A has won plenty of major honours and then after 3 games we hear no plan b etc etc. The majority of people who bang on about plan b don't even have an answer other than they could of put crosses into the box.
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    This whole plan b nonsense people keep banging about is hyperbole. Plan A created enough chances to win the tie comfortably. The problem was not no plan b but more to do with not moving the ball as quickly as they normally do but that was more to do with fatigue than anything else. Its not like in the last 4 seasons pep never changed anything to turn draws or losses into wins.

Plan A has won plenty of major honours and then after 3 games we hear no plan b etc etc. The majority of people who bang on about plan b don't even have an answer other than they could of put crosses into the box.

That's exactly why they need a Plan B ... Plan A only works if everyone's on form and able to cope with the usual run of Baarca style tiki taka and there's no plan for if players are too fatigued to make Plan A effective enough.

Player fatigue, injury and form is not something that just changed overnight - it's something that has been building for a while so something that could have (and should have) been forseen and prepared for.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member

I'm not going to get into a debate about this Plan B stuff, but I certainly don't agree with the excuse you're using for Barcelona yet again here. Fatigue? No more than Chelsea had. Do you think Chelsea had been sitting on holiday all season with their feet up? No, they've been working hard. League, final of the FA Cup, grueling CL campaign (ET against Napoli). Plus that into the up's and down's of chopping and changing managers.

Even as a United fan I'm annoyed how some keep making excuses for this loss. Give Chelsea credit. They won the tie fair and square. Technically, they were better, plain and simple. You can talk about posession and chances all you want. Chelsea did a fantastic job and deserved it more. No excuses, they were better, end of story really.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    I'm not going to get into a debate about this Plan B stuff, but I certainly don't agree with the excuse you're using for Barcelona yet again here. Fatigue? No more than Chelsea had. Do you think Chelsea had been sitting on holiday all season with their feet up? No, they've been working hard. League, final of the FA Cup, grueling CL campaign (ET against Napoli). Plus that into the up's and down's of chopping and changing managers.

Even as a United fan I'm annoyed how some keep making excuses for this loss. Give Chelsea credit. They won the tie fair and square. Technically, they were better, plain and simple. You can talk about posession and chances all you want. Chelsea did a fantastic job and deserved it more. No excuses, they were better, end of story really.

I'm not using fatigue as an an excuse. I'm just saying fatigue is the reason they are not moving the ball as quickly as they usually do.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they missed David Villa big time tbh.
    Forum Member

No-one is taking away from what Chelsea did, but Barca have been of form all season.

As both a Utd fan and a Real Madrid fan I am hardly thinking up excuses for Barca, but you can't take the Chelsea games out of context. No-one's saying Chelsea had it easy this season but anyone who has watched Barca this season can see they're far from their peak.

Barca have been looking fatigued all season, Messi - while still scoring goals - has not been his best this season, they've not had players like Villa, Pedro and Abidal who knew how to read the Barca game, and they've been relying on the likes of Tello, Cuenca etc from Barca B to get through games.

Did Chelsea do a good job in winning? Yes they did.
    Are Barcelona at the top of their game at the moment? No they're not.
  • Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona FC

2 Champions League titles and 2 Champions League semi finals in the past 4 seasons.

Tiki-taka clearly works most of the time.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They didn't bother turning up for AVB for a few months so I'm not surprised they aren't tired.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member

agree with this. no-one can win everything, even with a Plan Z, so this "no Plan B" stuff doesn't really make any sense, given that Plan A was good enough to win 75% of trophies available.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea are a physical side, they were always going to be hard to be beat.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for a season we should all insist on calling it the 'Nou Camp' just to annoy them.
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I think for a season we should all insist on calling it the 'Nou Camp' just to annoy them.

Everyone in England does that anyway, a lot of people don't even know that it's Camp Nou
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mel1213 wrote: »
    Everyone in England does that anyway, a lot of people don't even know that it's Camp Nou

But it isn't. It's the Nou Camp. Because that's what we call it.

Why do we insist on 'Camp Nou' but are perfectly still fine with 'Spain'. Hmmm? Why is that?

Why do we select certain words for places overseas and are perfectly happy with our own versions but others we say 'no, that's wrong, we must pronounce it their way'

Why do we do this?

Nobody corrects people when they say 'I'm going to France' with a huge sigh and a reprimand along the lines of 'It's française, you ignorant prick'

Nobody does this. So why Camp Nou? Why not Nou Camp, like we say?
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with Barca's style of football, what they didn't is that they didn't take their chances.

Chelsea, for all their crictism, took every single one of their chances, so fair play to them they went through and thats what footballs about.

But Barca did have enough chances to go through in that tie, but fluffed most of them, including the penalty.

So their approach wasn't wrong, just their execution was.
    Forum Member

But it isn't. It's Camp Nou because the stadium is L'Estadi Camp Nou. That's it's name.

This is like me saying "Well I know it's Old Trafford but I call it Trafford Old so that's it's name."
    Why do we insist on 'Camp Nou' but are perfectly still fine with 'Spain'. Hmmm? Why is that?

Why do we select certain words for places overseas and are perfectly happy with our own versions but others we say 'no, that's wrong, we must pronounce it their way'

Why do we do this?

Camp Nou is the name because that's the Catalan for New Field and that's what Camp Nou was when it was constructed.

Basically what people have done is Anglicized the name by putting it into English word order but kept the Catalan words for no real reason other than we decided that - despite it being a Catalan name for a Catalan club's stadium - Nou Camp sounds better than Camp Nou.

It's the same with the pronunciation - people pronounce it as "New Camp" when the Catalan word "Nou" sounds more like "now" than "new"
    Nobody corrects people when they say 'I'm going to France' with a huge sigh and a reprimand along the lines of 'It's française, you ignorant prick'

Because you're speaking English so you're going to use the English name for France?

There's a difference between Anglicizing a foreign name and using the English word when speaking English.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it isn't. It's Camp Nou because the stadium is L'Estadi Camp Nou. That's it's name.
    It doesn't matter what its called in its own country, its what we call it, we don't call Munich - Munchen do we, in fact we don't call many cities/places the same as they are called in their own country for some reason, just the same as places here are called different things in other languages e.g. London - Londres , even though the name of the stadium has been left spanish it has been swapped round to how we would say it in english ("new field" instead of "field new")
    Forum Member
    the chimp wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what its called in its own country, its what we call it, we don't call Munich - Munchen do we, in fact we don't call many cities/places the same as they are called in their own country for some reason, just the same as places here are called different things in other languages e.g. London - Londres , even though the name of the stadium has been left spanish it has been swapped round to how we would say it in english ("new field" instead of "field new")

But why? Why anglicize it for no reason when you're keeping the Catalan words and just messing with the word order?

The different things in different languages example is irrelevent - if I'm speaking in Spanish I'm going to call Spain - España but I'm not going to throw España into an English sentence when talking about Spain because of the context. That's not applied to the arbritary reason people have changed the name of Camp Nou.

The stadium is called Camp Nou, there's no reason to change it at all. No one changes Old Trafford or other stadiums just because they feel like it, why should Camp Nou be different?

Maybe I'm just coming from it differently having lived there and spoken to a lot of FCB fans about the name (originally through me failing with the Catalan pronunciation of Nou when surrounded by Catalans finding my accent to be cute but not cut out for saying the word properly) and how they are very protective of it, and I say this as a Real Madrid fan.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why?
    Because we can.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do we do this?

France is France in French, francaise is French :o