Options

fish dying "randomly" any ideas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi, over the last couple of weeks a fair few of my fish have died, and i have no idea why, heres my setup

160L tank, set to 26 degrees c, 2 filters, one internal, one external, tank has been running for a couple of years with no problem

current inmates were 1x BN plec, 2x krib, 2x keyhole cichlid, 1x RTBS, 6x serpae tetra

in the last few months we've lost 2 tetra, one keyhole cichlid, one krib and the RTBS last night

checked the water chemistry last night, results below:

ammonia - 0
nitrates - 5ppm
nitrites - 0
ph - 8.2 :eek:

my tapwater ph is 6.8, but when i add water conditioner it goes up to 8.0 ish

this was my initial most likely culprit but i dunno..presumably the ph will have been creeping up and up but i'm not sure what i can do about, i can chemically alter the ph but sending it crashing down to 6.8 will probably do as much harm as good, and changing the water will do no good if my water conditioner is sending the ph up to around 8.0

argh

Comments

• Options
    InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That ph is far too alkaline. 6.8 would be far better. Have you put any shells or different gravel in your tank lately? Gravel with a lot of chalk or shells can raise the ph .

Also change your conditioner if its altering the ph by that much. They should be neutral.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no nothing has changed in terms of stuff in the tank, although it's not outside the realms of possibility my kids dropping something into the tank, but it looks fine.

i used tetra conditioner before, so i bought some nutrafin conditioner this morning, expecting it to not change the ph, as you said, but i did a before and after test on a bucket of water, with the new conditioner and before was 6.8, after was 7.8

doesn't make sense to me, the bucket isnt contiminated either, it's purely used for changing tank water :s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a puzzle. Especially considering your ammonia is at zero. The only likely culprit for fish dying with those figures would be the ph like you said. Unless there is some other toxin getting into the tank but that still leaves.. Why is the ph going up that high? 8.2 is getting into Lake Malawi territory .

I'd be tempted to rummage around in the substrate to check to see if the kids haven't dropped something in there. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, i might end up with a malawi tank at this rate, the speed my current occupants seem to be dying :s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hehe That's not a bad plan :-)

ETA: Some boffin will show up and sort it out . This place normally comes up with an answer .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How big is the keyhole cichlid that's left? I was just reading that some of them on rare occaisions can be overly aggressive towards other fish. Could it be him doing it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's about 4 inches, although he's very gentle and started off thumbnail sized, never had a problem with the cichlids, the RTBS was the boss of the tank

personally i think it's something to do with the tapwater, maybe it's been altered slightly at the source or something, the ph shouldn't be changing when adding water conditioner, although i dunno
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if you get a couple of litres of bottled spring water do a p.h test on it then add some conditioner and then test it again? At least that way you will know if it's the conditioner raising the p.h on it's own . Do the same with some tap water to see if the conditioner is reacting with something in your mains water.

I dunno what else to suggest. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may sound a bit silly but I will ask it anyway, How thorough are you when cleaning the filter system? over cleaning will cause the cycle to tip way out of balance, I only say this as 9 time out of 10 it's nitrates that cause all the problems although yours are zero.
    seems to me there's something in there that shouldn't be so maybe the kids may have dropped something in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm, you arent spraying anything near the tank, like perfume or kitchen spray, :o (I haven t kept fish for years, so dont know what else to say )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biskit wrote: »
    This may sound a bit silly but I will ask it anyway, How thorough are you when cleaning the filter system? over cleaning will cause the cycle to tip way out of balance, I only say this as 9 time out of 10 it's nitrates that cause all the problems although yours are zero.
    seems to me there's something in there that shouldn't be so maybe the kids may have dropped something in there.

In all honestly I rarely clean the filters on the tank, i have two, so every 6 months of so give one of the sponges a squeeze in tank water, that's about it, unless the flow drops noticably, otherwise it just doesn't need it.

I lost another tetra last night, ph is still 7.8 - 8....so not sure what to do, i'd rather not alter the ph myself with a PH down thing.

Will do more tests tonight, want to double check what the ph is coming out of the tap, last time it was 6.8, which turned into 8.2 after adding water conditioner, or i might take some water to the pet shop, get a second opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Scott_P wrote: »
    In all honestly I rarely clean the filters on the tank, i have two, so every 6 months of so give one of the sponges a squeeze in tank water, that's about it, unless the flow drops noticably, otherwise it just doesn't need it.

I lost another tetra last night, ph is still 7.8 - 8....so not sure what to do, i'd rather not alter the ph myself with a PH down thing.

Will do more tests tonight, want to double check what the ph is coming out of the tap, last time it was 6.8, which turned into 8.2 after adding water conditioner, or i might take some water to the pet shop, get a second opinion.

When was the last time you tested your pH prior to this disaster, sorry to hear about your losses BTW. I lost 4 out of 6 angels last week so I know how you feel. I too thought high pH was the culprit but it seems not after running various experiments and checking with my LFSs as to what their pH is (both run at 8 same as my tanks at home).

There are also symptoms of pH shock which none of my fish exhibited.

'Lying on the bottom and paying little or no attention to its surroundings and ignoring potential threats.
    It may even lay on its side or go upside down completely.
    There could be other signs to, related to Acidosis and Alkalosis
    Excessive mucus production.
    Rapid breathing.
    Swollen abdomen. (Alkalosis only).'

Did you notice any of your fish showing any of the above symptoms. My fish went from what appeared to be fine to dead within less than two hours.

You are right in not wanting to introduce chemicals to alter your pH as swings are actually more harmful than a stable but not 100% suitable pH.

The weirdest thing is that water from my tap read as 7.4. Then with dechlor and nothing else it went up to 7.6. With dechlor and a sample of the rock from my tank it also went to 7.6, in the tank itself with all the suspect rocks removed it went up to 8!!! Jug with dechlor & sand from tank also went to 7.6 and stayed there.

I know that's probably not particularly helpful to you but it's more to show your not alone.

Definitely take some water to your LFS and also find out what pH their tanks are running at (assuming they aren't using RO water or anything like that). It could be that like in my case the high pH was a red herring.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted, do keep us updated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Ive only ever had coldwater fish but out of all my fish only the two "alpha males" I call them, have lived the longest as they bullied and stressed the others till they died.Together they live quite happily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Scott_P wrote: »
    hi, over the last couple of weeks a fair few of my fish have died, and i have no idea why, heres my setup

160L tank, set to 26 degrees c, 2 filters, one internal, one external, tank has been running for a couple of years with no problem

current inmates were 1x BN plec, 2x krib, 2x keyhole cichlid, 1x RTBS, 6x serpae tetra

in the last few months we've lost 2 tetra, one keyhole cichlid, one krib and the RTBS last night

checked the water chemistry last night, results below:

ammonia - 0
    nitrates - 5ppm
    nitrites - 0
    ph - 8.2 :eek:

my tapwater ph is 6.8, but when i add water conditioner it goes up to 8.0 ish

argh

Don't bother with tap water it's got too many impurities in it, find a local fish shop with RO water. You'll find it won't cause algae outbreaks or fish dying off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Another" silly question", have you cleaned out the tank thoroughly since the deaths started?