Options

'The Snowman & The Snowdog' - The Snowman sequel THIS CHRISTMAS.

tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Because it's 30 years of The Snowman (by Raymond Briggs) this year, C4 commissioned a sequel. At first it was going to be a revamped and updated version of the classic, now it's going to be a brand new tale which will last 22 minutes with a new song.

The image released looks much like the previous Snowman we all know and love so i'm hoping it's not too digitized. I wonder how it'll end though? :confused:

Raymond Briggs gave the production his blessing.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's 30 years of The Snowman (by Raymond Briggs) this year, C4 commissioned a sequel. At first it was going to be a revamped and updated version of the classic, now it's going to be a brand new tale which will last 22 minutes with a new song.

The image released looks much like the previous Snowman we all know and love so i'm hoping it's not too digitized. I wonder how it'll end though? :confused:

Raymond Briggs gave the production his blessing.

I dont know if I like the sound of this sequel tbh. The Snowman is such an important thing for me at christmas, as much human emotion as I feel watching it and hearing Walking in the Air, I save it for christmas. Its one of the best things of the festive period and dont think it is something that could be added to. Its too classic imo, but I just hold a very special place for it in my heart. Its actually kinda beautiful. The very definition of classic christmas telle.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the one thing I am actually looking forward to seeing at Christmas, but I hope it looks the same or at least very similar to the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    This is the one thing I am actually looking forward to seeing at Christmas, but I hope it looks the same or at least very similar to the original.

Agreed, as much as I like HD and flashy and shiny and that sort of thing, I think that anything related to The Snowman, it should have the same look, its part of what gives it its charm. Like an animated story book brought to life designed to give you give you huge amounts of human emotion.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I love The Snowman, its iconic and makes Christmas for me :) It has a special place in my heart :(
    Does anyone remember The Bear from the late 90's, I thought that was similar to The Snowman in terms of story (and the little girl was voiced by a 12 year old Charlotte Church...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I dont know if I like the sound of this sequel tbh. The Snowman is such an important thing for me at christmas, as much human emotion as I feel watching it and hearing Walking in the Air, I save it for christmas. Its one of the best things of the festive period and dont think it is something that could be added to. Its too classic imo, but I just hold a very special place for it in my heart. Its actually kinda beautiful. The very definition of classic christmas telle.

Yes I know it's good, but they do repeat it again and again and again, so it will be nice to have a new story as well.
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I love The Snowman, its iconic and makes Christmas for me :) It has a special place in my heart :(
    Does anyone remember The Bear from the late 90's, I thought that was similar to The Snowman in terms of story (and the little girl was voiced by a 12 year old Charlotte Church...)

Yes I remember watching The Bear! It's similar in style, because the book was also by Raymond Briggs.
  • Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure The Bear has been broadcast quite a few times in recent years....love it too!:)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is one of the best thing on at Christmas every year :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is one of the best thing on at Christmas every year :)

:):D:)
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that they don't add any dialogue, as that is what makes the film sooo clasic, is that the only words are the famous "walking in the air" words that are sung, other than thar, it is just pure sound effects and music.

It just wouldn't be the same if The Snowman had had a voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that they don't add any dialogue, as that is what makes the film sooo clasic, is that the only words are the famous "walking in the air" words that are sung, other than thar, it is just pure sound effects and music.

It just wouldn't be the same if The Snowman had had a voice.

Totally agree...the charm is watching, not listening to voices, apart from the singing.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Here are the promo pics (for those that were wondering - as was I) -

http://www.lupusfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Publicity_Still_Flying_Final.jpg

http://www.lupusfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Publicity_Stills_Hugging_Final.jpg

http://www.lupusfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Publicity_Stills_Posing_Final.jpg
    With lots of the original team, and some fantastic new talent working on the production we’re delighted to be playing host to some of the UK’s finest 2D animators, and flying the flag for traditional animation within the UK.
    Hope it turns out that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without The Snowman. I still fill up at the end after all these years. :cry:

I do hope The Snowdog keeps the charm of the original-no speaking, no flashy effects and no modern "attitude".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »

Those pictures look nice, its something that looks promising. Its style fits more than enough with the original imo. Also, I would like to see a goodbye scene. While I really like the ending of original, a hugely emotional goodbye scene would be really nice too.
    Ms Katt wrote: »
    Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without The Snowman. I still fill up at the end after all these years. :cry:

I do hope The Snowdog keeps the charm of the original-no speaking, no flashy effects and no modern "attitude".

I always fill up at Walking in the Air, guaranteed. I get a huge rush of emotions, while the whole thing is special, the WITA scene is mega-special. Takes emotions to a level all on its own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pictures look great :)
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know they have cropped the original Snowman to 16:9 for recent years. Going by those pictures, here's hoping this new cartoon is kept in 4:3 to match the original. Hell, those pictures look sumptuous, I wonder if they'll go back and reanimate the original to clean it up looks wise. As great as it is, it looks like the print wasn't looked after that well and could do with a restoration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I know they have cropped the original Snowman to 16:9 for recent years. Going by those pictures, here's hoping this new cartoon is kept in 4:3 to match the original. Hell, those pictures look sumptuous, I wonder if they'll go back and reanimate the original to clean it up looks wise. As great as it is, it looks like the print wasn't looked after that well and could do with a restoration.

I was thinking of a word to describe the pictures, and sumptuous describes them perfectly. After seeing them, I just want christmas to come sooner then I normally feel at this point in the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more puzzled about how they will end it. Surely it won't be the same ending like the original. I hope the illusion isn't shattered as in the snowman was real. The suspense was one of the best bits.
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sequel? Pah, its been done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI

:D
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK if it a sequel, but hated the original idea of messing around with the original.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it going to be shown in addition to, or instead of, the original?

I very much hope it's the former, although I won't be too bothered if it isn't as I've got the original to watch on DVD anyway.
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think both as it makes sense to have the original to introduce and advertise the new one.

Even if they are on different days.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    cpikey316_ wrote: »

Hahaha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated that Irn Bru advert.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that they don't add any dialogue, as that is what makes the film sooo clasic

I remember one version of The Snowman I saw on VHS (back in the 80s) had an introduction and ending by David Bowie masquerading as the boy in the story. I wasn't too happy when I found out that a DVD I'd bought for someone had this version on it.

Personally, I thought it added nothing at the time (quite the opposite), and looking back I'm even less impressed. Nothing against David Bowie, but the idea of a live action introduction is unnecessary on its own, and having it done by a well-known face adds baggage, takes away from the magic and distracts the viewer from experiencing and interpreting it in their own way.

What confuses me is that I've heard that this replaced some earlier bookends with Raymond Briggs himself.

But that doesn't ring any bells either- the way I always remember seeing it on TV was "as is", *without* any of this pointless live action. Am I going daft?
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Snowdog"? Sounds like a Tim Burton Production....