A 'Brookside' Virgin. (30th anniversary DVD/best storylines etc)

Comments

• tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the sales of the DVD are
  • HellinglyHellingly Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    My copy was dispatched (according to email) by Amazon on Saturday and hasn't arrived yet, so I'm presuming it's pre-Christmas post delays. Wish I'd just gone to HMV now :D
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    I pre ordered mine from amazon and it still hasn't come, i saw it in HMV today and ended up buying it. I'm glad i did, i've watched 4 episodes already and i'm hooked, i want more.
    I'll send the amazon disc back when it finally arrives :mad:

It came this morning from amazon, it will be the first and last time i pre order something.
    Im not impressed, in future i'll just go out and buy it :)
  • HellinglyHellingly Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Stupid Amazon sent me the film "A Royal Affair" by mistake, so I'm getting Brookie from HMV this afternoon and I'll give the film to one of my female relatives for Christmas :D
  • NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hurley wrote: »
    Wow, what a blast from the past! I watched Brookside as a kid (I'm 25 now). I have vivid memories of some of the characters - the Farnhams and Dixons especially.

There was a great storyline involving Claire Sweeney's character (Lindsay?) and her on screen daughter. They went to Thailand not knowing drugs were smuggled in the kid's teddy and were stopped by customs. I remember that being really well acted.

I liked Bev and Ron together, they were funny characters. Anyone remembering them dubbing their house "Casa BevRon"? :D

Yes and the pet chicken which they called "Kiev" :D

Julia Brogan picking her lottery numbers at the Jordache murder trial :D

Very distant memories, but so ahead of its time in many ways - at least until the mid 90s.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    NathanT wrote: »
    Yes and the pet chicken which they called "Kiev" :D

Julia Brogan picking her lottery numbers at the Jordache murder trial :D

Very distant memories, but so ahead of its time in many ways - at least until the mid 90s.

Ah good old Julia. I still remember her giving Mike Dixon some soup with the line 'You have this love, it's got them cretins in it'
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone upload the DVD to youtube?
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my dvd arrived today and I cannot wait to start watching it :D
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Can someone upload the DVD to youtube?

Just buy it FGS
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got the three 2002 episodes to watch now.

16 episodes was not enough but at least we got something. Really hope this sells well so they do another DVD. Still so many episodes I would love to see again.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just buy it FGS

why i'd only watch it the once
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Buy it yourself or rent it, having people wasting time for your convience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought two of the 2002 seige episodes were on there but it turns out only one is. Must have misread the press release.

Aww I'm sad to have finished watching it now. Its left me wanting more.. :(:cry:
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never has a soap gone from so good to so bad. it was peerless when it first started. shelia's rape was an incredibly well done storyline.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Free George Jackson!!" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    never has a soap gone from so good to so bad. it was peerless when it first started. shelia's rape was an incredibly well done storyline.
    To be honest I still maintain Brookside was fine up until mid 2002. The problems of the early 00s was Channel Four moving it around so much. This made Phil Redmond revamp the show but I didn't think it really needed it. The Gordan family that came in were a disaster as was Marty's first wife. Really crap new characters that just made people turn off imho. The final year was pretty pants though. After they moved it to 90 minutes an episode they just started focusing on one family a week. So the whole heart of the show was gone. I think the lowest point of the final months was Max and Jackie not even getting an on screen exit. Their departure was mentioned in passing by Ron!!! that was such a kick in the face to viewers. Once that happened it was too late to save it. So I think in all honesty it was Phil Redmond changing the show's format which killed it in the end.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My DVD arrived yesterday from amazon too, despite them saying it would arrive on Monday. I have a good mind to complain as I paid for first class delivery. Gonna try and watch a few episodes tonight before I go to bed.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    16 episodes is not enough, i would love to watch another block of episodes.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I'm still so annoyed at the lack of Farnhams in the DVDs!! Susannah was one of their best ever characters. I hope if this sells well we get another batch of episodes released.

I agree. It's my only gripe about the DVD. Other than that I think the choice of episodes was excellent. But it's a real shame there is no episode about the Farnhams.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 21, so I only have very faint memories of Brookside. I remember the Millennium Club explosion and Anthony killing Imelda.

I am really tempted to buy the DVD..
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should buy it even if we're indecisive. I've added it to a wish list.

For soap fans, stuff like this doesn't come along very often (official DVD releases I mean). So every little helps :)
  • bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm bumping this from a few months ago but I'm loving my dvd!! Does anyone know where you can see the episode where Damon dies? Or the aftermath of the siege from 1985? At the moment just saw Sue and Danny fall from the scaffolding!!
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Just started watching this remember the very first episode like yesterday now watching siege from 1985

Some really famous youngsters in it but can't put names to faces

Shelia grants rape epsoide now
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I remember Damon technically never died on Brookside, it was the "soap bubble" Damon & Debbie that he met his maker
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Got this DVD a couple of weeks ago and have now watched most of them. I realise a few of the episodes feature Jimmy Corkhill but is there any reason none of the episodes are storylines involving the close's original Corkhill family i.e. Billy, Doreen, Rod the Plod and Tracy? Not one. They are never even seen onscreen as background characters in the other episodes. Did they not agree to be used on the DVD or is it just coincidence? Obviously they are limited as to how much they can put on so it may just be that?

John McArdle who played Billy I know went on to much bigger roles.