• Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Fully deserved again.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was Player of the Year not player from January onwards.

Also think Young Player cut off age needs to be reduced to 21.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine Carrick and RVP split the United vote. Suarez wasn't everyone's cup of tea even before bitegate, so that left Hazard and Mata, who haven't really had a spectalar season in the eyes of the media. I would have picked Mata for consistency, but Bale's a worthy winner, though his season really started in January.

He did win the 2011 award on the back of that hattrick against Inter, and his stats weren't really better than Nani's for instance.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll done to him, he has been excellent when it matters most this season.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voted on at the start of March apparently. Had they been voting now RVP would probably have won but he was going through his barren spell at the time of the voting. Quite barmy that they still vote so early, it really demeans the award.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done GB.

Will he go to Spain next season? Could Spurs resist a 50M+ bid for him?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to Bale, he's had a great season.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I can''t say he doesn't deserve it. He's been brilliant.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well deserved. I think Bale is one of the best players in the world right now.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Voted on at the start of March apparently. Had they been voting now RVP would probably have won but he was going through his barren spell at the time of the voting. Quite barmy that they still vote so early, it really demeans the award.

It is strange, what with all of the modern technology around, surely something could be worked out to be able to vote after the last game of the season??!!
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No big surprise... well deserved all the same though
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winner by default really. He's a good player, but was he really the best player this season?

Personally I think Suarez has been head and shoulders above anyone this season. But to be fair he's only got himself to blame for not winning it. People just aren't going to vote for someone like him. I also think RVP has been better than Bale.

I don't get The Bale love. But I know I'm in the minority.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Speaking as a neutral, Bale is one of the few individual players I genuinely get excited about watching.
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez was player of the year. RVP second and Bale third.

Reminds me of 1999 when David Ginola, hilariously, won Player of the year over Roy Keane.

These awards rarely go to the correct person as was proved yet again a couple of years back when Ryan Giggs won it after an extremely average season.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Suarez was player of the year. RVP second and Bale third.

Reminds me of 1999 when David Ginola, hilariously, won Player of the year over Roy Keane.

These awards rarely go to the correct person as was proved yet again a couple of years back when Ryan Giggs won it after an extremely average season.

The players vote for it. Therefore, it's nothing to do with us fans.

The writers' award is the one that should be scrutinised, in my opinion.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgetting all the controversy, my player of the year would have been Suarez. He kept Liverpool going almost single-handedly during their dreadful start to the season.
    But I have no objection to Gareth Bale winning, he has had a terrific season. Same with RVP or Mata.
    I see he won the Young Player Of The Year award as well. I do think they should change the cut-off point for what is considered a young player though. Bale is 24 in a couple months.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    He won Young Player, as well. And he's nearly 24!

Weird!
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    3 out of the 5 recent winners have been Welsh :eek:
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think anyone can say its undeserved. The young player award needs changing. 22 should be be the limit.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    3 out of the 5 recent winners have been Welsh :eek:

Good of you too point that out. :)
  • Options
    5th time lucky5th time lucky Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    Winner by default really. He's a good player, but was he really the best player this season?

Personally I think Suarez has been head and shoulders above anyone this season. But to be fair he's only got himself to blame for not winning it. People just aren't going to vote for someone like him. I also think RVP has been better than Bale.

I don't get The Bale love. But I know I'm in the minority.

He has been, but well done to Bale anyway he has been class.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Interesting that Suarez is obviously disliked by his fellow professionals. Name booed twice when it was read out and on field performances should have seen him win the top award.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Interesting that Suarez is obviously disliked by his fellow professionals. Name booed twice when it was read out and on field performances should have seen him win the top award.
    On performance maybe but on professionalism no.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    It is strange, what with all of the modern technology around, surely something could be worked out to be able to vote after the last game of the season??!!

I'm with you on that one!

Saying that, even as an Arsenal fan, GB has been excellent and deserves the award. Although I also think Suarez has played very well too.