Quick tech question time.

Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
Forum Member
✭✭
You know when the likes of Tesco flog off ex display stuff, when DAB radios are sold minus a power pack, what can be used instead?

The Pure radio power socket looks similar to a mobile phone charger, but is it?

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it to Maplins or the like - they'll supply a compatible one! Or ask the store to find the box in the storeroom with the PS unit!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a generic adaptor for DAB radio like there is for mobile phones?
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    The Pure radio power socket looks similar to a mobile phone charger, but is it?

I would not chance it as it may be the wrong voltage output and have insufficient current output.

A decent multi output voltage wall wart power supply will suffice in most cases. They normally have a variable voltage selector from 3 volts - 12 volts and come with various plugs suitable for most radios.

Three things you need to know are, the voltage needed to run the radio, the current consumption of the radio and the polarity of the voltage, i.e.: is the centre pin of the socket positive or negative. In most cases the centre pin is + and the sleeve is - but you have to be careful as companies like Sony used to have the centre pin negative (there should be a little diagram next to the socket showing whether the centre pin is + or -).

It's important that the power supply can supply enough current to run the radio, you can always use a power supply that can supply more current than needed, but you must not use one that output less current than required for the radio - if you do, it will run hot and there is a danger of fire.

The multi output power supply will have adaptors one of which should fit the socket on the radio. The adaptor will have an arrow on the case which needs to point to the correct diagram on the socket on the lead from the power supply, this has to be the same as on the radio socket - if you get the polarity wrong it could damage the radio.

Here is a power supply that should be ok for a Pure Evoke radio, it can supply a current of 1.2 Amps which is more than enough for your average radio.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing is to find someone with the same radio and take it into somewhere like Maplin so they can find an equivalent one.

The Pure One Flow is 5.5v 1.0A
    The outer of the plug is negative, inner pin positive - it's marked on the radio by the socket with the voltage.

The Pure Evoke Flow is 6.0v 2.0A.
    Same polarity but the plug is larger.

If I can find my micrometer in the morning I can measure the two plugs.
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it to Maplins or the like - they'll supply a compatible one!

I wouldn't take it to Maplins :D I recently wanted some axial inductors so I went to Maplins - The guy didn't have a clue what an inductor looked like, when he came back with the components they were miniature polyester capacitors - and he worked in the component section. :D
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a Pure radio you can buy spare parts including mains adaptors for many of the models they sell.

http://www.purespares.com/

Clicking on a few of the models, the mains adaptor is £12.99 for each one.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers guys.