Options

Rock overtakes pop in UK album chart

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic rock is not just old rockers though. I would put bands like Rival Sons, Blackberry Smoke and The Answer in the classic rock group and they are young guys starting out in their journey.

You mean tribute bands, not classic rock, you have to be original for that.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribute bands, yeah that's exactly what I mean.

^_^
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    So the next rock revolution is being led by Rod Stewart........I admit I'm curious to see what a generation of teenagers rebelling to the sounds of 'Sailing' and 'Do ya think I'm Sexy' looks like.

Probably similar to this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiIMuOKIzY

Just look at that rebellion!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Probably similar to this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiIMuOKIzY

Just look at that rebellion!

Almost certainly not.

Buddy Holly was one of the most creative, nay revolutionary forces in early rock music; don't go by the glasses!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Almost certainly not.

Buddy Holly was one of the most creative, nay revolutionary forces in early rock music; don't go by the glasses!

I have his Greatest Hits album. :)
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buddy was legend, a true pioneer, his fast downstrokes style of rhythm playing(Later used extensively by punk and thrash rock) and the format of his band , was an big influence on all later genres of rock.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I have his Greatest Hits album. :)

My dad nearly fell off a pier when he first heard 'Rave On" while walking by a cafe in the 50's...there's impact!
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic rock is not just old rockers though. I would put bands like Rival Sons, Blackberry Smoke and The Answer in the classic rock group and they are young guys starting out in their journey.

There is also the crossover, you have people like Blackberry Smoke, southern rock, but also are country. You have someone like Eric Church who is a country artist that could be categorised as rock.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The BPI actually split the 33.8% rock category thus:

Contemporary rock 18.8%
    A.O.R (Adult Orientated Rock) 7.1%
    Metal/heavy 6.8%
    Progressive rock 0.8%
    Punk 0.3%

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/rock-claims-a-third-of-uk-album-sales-in-2013/057607

I think some here regard a large chunk of the "Contemporary rock" category as pop.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The BPI actually split the 33.8% rock category thus:

Contemporary rock 18.8%
    A.O.R (Adult Orientated Rock) 7.1%
    Metal/heavy 6.8%
    Progressive rock 0.8%
    Punk 0.3%

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/rock-claims-a-third-of-uk-album-sales-in-2013/057607

I think some here regard a large chunk of the "Contemporary rock" category as pop.
    the likes of Jake Bugg and Bastille to name a few connecting with a new generation of fans, Rock music looks set to enjoy another wonderfully vibrant period.”

Well I don't know about you but I certainly have quite a hard time thinking of Jake Bugg & Bastille as Rock.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    the likes of Jake Bugg and Bastille to name a few connecting with a new generation of fans, Rock music looks set to enjoy another wonderfully vibrant period.”

Well I don't know about you but I certainly have quite a hard time thinking of Jake Bugg & Bastille as Rock.

The whole article seems confused. It's hard to pin most artists into a single genre anyway
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an Arctic Monkeys fan but did enjoy the Alex Turner's comments at the Brits:

"That rock 'n'roll, eh? That rock'n'roll, it just won't go away. It might hibernate from time to time, sink back into the swamp. I think the cyclical nature of the universe in which it exists demands that acquiesce to some of its rules.

"But it's always waiting there, just around the corner. Ready to make its way back through the sludge and smash through the glass ceiling, looking better than ever. Yeah, that rock'n'roll, it seems like it's faded away sometimes, but it will never die. And there’s nothing you can do about it."
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribute bands, yeah that's exactly what I mean.

^_^

They should never have got rid of the "rolleyes" smilie... ;)

Black Stone Cherry's new album, Magic Mountain, is likely to be pushing the Top 10 in the album chart when it's released in May.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should never have got rid of the "rolleyes" smilie... ;)

Probably happened at the same time as some people got an irony bypass. :D or maybe that should be parody bypass?
    Black Stone Cherry's new album, Magic Mountain, is likely to be pushing the Top 10 in the album chart when it's released in May.

I'm not sure if that makes it good or bad?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably happened at the same time as some people got an irony bypass. :D or maybe that should be parody bypass?

But how am I supposed to know whether you are being ironic or not from a line of text? It is impossible to do so.
    I'm not sure if that makes it good or bad?

A perfect exmple of what I mean, is this supposed to be ironic? :confused:

Makes what good or bad, precisely? :confused:
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I've been buying rock music since 1982.
    The number of rock singles I've bought can probably be counted on one hand.
    Albums though are at the other end of the scale.

Rock fans aren't "singles" people. They buy albums and go to live shows.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock may be getting popular again but kids in glass houses have just announced they're decision too split. Must be something about them Welsh rock bands
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the BBC web page.

Rock overtakes pop in UK album chart

So it would appear that those who pronounced rock "dead" may have been more than a little premature! :D

And with the likes of You Me At Six and Within Temptation doing well in the first two months and several big acts releasing albums this year it looks as though this could be another good year as well!
    Rock is dead they say, Long Live Rock.:cool:
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    daclick wrote: »
    Rock may be getting popular again but kids in glass houses have just announced they're decision too split. Must be something about them Welsh rock bands

Whatever happened to Preyer, Samurai and Persian Risk?
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic Rock do this every year in January, it's a good way of filling the magazine in a traditionally very quiet month.

Thought that was NME, although they don't seem to call it rock any more.They seem to go with the 'guitar music' line these days - which is a broader categorisation that rock is even :blush::D

Shame the 'corporate map' which sells less than 20,000 copies now :blush: only covers a very narrow strand of 'guitar music' though - alot of what they cover isn't even guitar music, hypocritically, in an over concerning way :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I'm not an Arctic Monkeys fan but did enjoy the Alex Turner's comments at the Brits:

"That rock 'n'roll, eh? That rock'n'roll, it just won't go away. It might hibernate from time to time, sink back into the swamp. I think the cyclical nature of the universe in which it exists demands that acquiesce to some of its rules.

"But it's always waiting there, just around the corner. Ready to make its way back through the sludge and smash through the glass ceiling, looking better than ever. Yeah, that rock'n'roll, it seems like it's faded away sometimes, but it will never die. And there’s nothing you can do about it."

.........in the meantime.........we all wait for Arctic Monkeys to actually play some rock music that has some conviction behind it :D

Arctic Monkeys your ultimate 'guitar music' band :D

At least Coldplay (Chris Martin) admit they are limestone (soft) rockers :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .........in the meantime.........we all wait for Arctic Monkeys to actually play some rock music that has some conviction behind it :D

Arctic Monkeys your ultimate 'guitar music' band :D

At least Coldplay (Chris Martin) admit they are limestone (soft) rockers :p

Are you making the mistake of associating volume or vigour with conviction?
    I think Alex does believe in his own music, is that not what conviction is?
    I don't like all of the Arctic Monkeys music but I don't expect a 2014 rock group to sound like a 1974 or 1984 rock group. They're not a tribute band like so many of the modern rock groups that are being referenced here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you making the mistake of associating volume or vigour with conviction?
    I think Alex does believe in his own music, is that not what conviction is?
    I don't like all of the Arctic Monkeys music but I don't expect a 2014 rock group to sound like a 1974 or 1984 rock group. They're not a tribute band like so many of the modern rock groups that are being referenced here.

Arctic Monkeys are supposed to be the leading lights in rock at the moment.Trouble is they are not an out & out rock group.They are a pop/rock group - a half way house between both areas of music.That's what I ment about conviction.They / the media / support groups seem to make a big issue of them being on of 'the saviours of rock' - we've had loads of those.

Because Arctic Monkeys play a deluted form of rock - elements of dance, late '50's post-Rock'n'Roll (Everly Brothers - crooning vocals), Britpop, various '60's influence (including girl group harmonies - similar to the Ramones??).This sort of NMEish 'saviour of rock' marketing tactic comes over very hollow to me.

Arctic Monkeys do sort of mix their sound up a bit with these various influences - the majority of them outside of the Indie spectrum, although they generally tagged as an Indie band.Interestingly the BPI no longer catergorise Indie rock.They group it in with Contemporary Rock these days.Contemporary is generally used as being popular with the younger middle age demographic, generally i.e. Adult Contemporary.Arctic Monkeys also get alot of airplay on 'modern rock' radio stations.It's debatable whether their sound is that modern though - most modern rock (& music often tagged as Indie) doesn't generally have a modern sound to it.Music termed as Indie has gone through a retro period recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arctic Monkeys are supposed to be the leading lights in rock at the moment.Trouble is they are not an out & out rock group.They are a pop/rock group - a half way house between both areas of music.That's what I ment about conviction.They / the media / support groups seem to make a big issue of them being on of 'the saviours of rock' - we've had loads of those.

Because Arctic Monkeys play a deluted form of rock - elements of dance, late '50's post-Rock'n'Roll (Everly Brothers - crooning vocals), Britpop, various '60's influence (including girl group harmonies - similar to the Ramones??).This sort of NMEish 'saviour of rock' marketing tactic comes over very hollow to me.

Arctic Monkeys do sort of mix their sound up a bit with these various influences - the majority of them outside of the Indie spectrum, although they generally tagged as an Indie band.Interestingly the BPI no longer catergorise Indie rock.They group it in with Contemporary Rock these days.Contemporary is generally used as being popular with the younger middle age demographic, generally i.e. Adult Contemporary.Arctic Monkeys also get alot of airplay on 'modern rock' radio stations.It's debatable whether their sound is that modern though - most modern rock (& music often tagged as Indie) doesn't generally have a modern sound to it.Music termed as Indie has gone through a retro period recently.

You are describing very well exactly why the Arctic Monkeys might be the saviours you think they're not.

They don't fit neatly into any of the categories you mention rock/pop/indie, they crossover, they use styles and sounds which are both retro and modern. The retro thing can be positive as it shows that the Arctic Monkeys respect their heritage and the best of the past. Yet they still sound now. They experiment and for me they don't always get it right but I like that.

I'm suggesting that you shouldn't expect the saviours of rock to be an 'out and out' rock
    group. I'm not sure what 'pure' rock would sound like anyway. When VU, Roxy Music and even The Pistols changed the goal posts, they didn't immediately get the credit they do now. I thought Radiohead were the great saviours of rock music in the 90s. In introspect they played their part but didn't really sustain their impact. None of these groups are 'out and out' rock.

I like the way the Arctic Monkeys and the NME have made people feel uncomfortable, that's exactly what rock music should do.
  • Options
    twunk010twunk010 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Read through this thread and a few things stood out.
    Classic rock was quoted as saying Rock was dead. I know plenty of people who contribute to rock magazines including Classic Rock.
    Classic Rock pay per word or per article so you can guess then that some of the things in there is not to the highest standard.

If rock is dead why have I just been sat reading a music magazine based on music between blues and Heavy Metal. I get to the reviews and see 40 pages of new releases which is just over 200 reviews, am I missing something.