Options

Was Steven Gerard’s England career a flop?

basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
Forum Member
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/scholes-steven-gerrards-england-career-has-been-a-failure-30479936.html
I don't really have an opinion (Scholes didn't achieve that much more with England) but what do the members of DS think about it.

Comments

• Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a player whose prime years at international level were spent out of position he gave it a decent shot.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Sounds like he's talking about England as a collective over the last 20-30 years to me, and just including Gerrard as part of that, he doesn't mention his England career was better also. Retrospectively, he's probably set the bar too high in terms of whether someone can be judged as a failure for England, but I understand where he's coming from, he was winning trophies throughout his career so probably would think his international teammates were under achieving in comparison.

I don't think Gerrard was a failure for England, they'll do well to replace him, like Rooney, a few poor performances and the rest is forgotten.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Sounds like he's talking about England as a collective over the last 20-30 years to me, and just including Gerrard as part of that, he doesn't mention his England career was better also. Retrospectively, he's probably set the bar too high in terms of whether someone can be judged as a failure for England, but I understand where he's coming from, he was winning trophies throughout his career so probably would think his international teammates were under achieving in comparison.

I don't think Gerrard was a failure for England, they'll do well to replace him, like Rooney, a few poor performances and the rest is forgotten.
    All the press headlines are saying how Gerrard should be not be proud of what he achieved. The sun has the headline of Gerrard failed England on it's back page.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    He does appear to be speaking collectively about everyone involved over the last 20-30 years, but I could be wrong. The England team has failed to win an international tournament in that time, and Scholes is probably right that the "golden generation", of which Gerrard was a member, will likely feel they never achieved what they were capable of in an England shirt.

Why Stevie's been singled out is anyone's guess, but given that it's usually him or Rooney in the firing line I guess it's just his turn. Also, the fact that LFC fans don't buy that rag means they won't be negatively impacting sales by taking shots at him.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    All the press headlines are saying how Gerrard should be not be proud of what he achieved. The sun has the headline of Gerrard failed England on it's back page.

I'm going from the actual quotes I read.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England actually had decent teams up until Euro 2004 and were unlucky more often than not, but it just went downhill from there. Gerrard was a terrible England captain though.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    I'm going from the actual quotes I read.

Always the most sensible way. People should know by now never to trust a Sun headline:)
  • Options
    Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »

How did it go from All to quoting from that worthless turd-rag the sun.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All players were are a flop in that time, and Scholes is taking about even himself too.
  • Options
    screammynamescreammyname Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Gerrard has done ok for England, nothing more.

His performances for the national team never lived up to his performances for Liverpool, but you could say that about a lot of players who have worn the 3 lions shirt.

When Gerrard does finally call it a day with Liverpool and retire, I wonder if he will regret never making that switch to Chelsea. For a player of his quality to have never won 1 premier league title is quite sad really.